{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

What to do ?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

What to do ?

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:56 pm

It’s clear that we might have slightly strengthened at the front, and we’ve got a better keeper but what on earth can be done to sort this defence out and why have we ended up in this situation?

There are no excuses. We knew that we missed out on Naylor and didn’t do anything to sort that out.

We shouldn’t be in this position given the resource.

Very very poor.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Re: What to do ?

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:57 pm

I have a few controversial ideas.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:59 pm

gazza1988 wrote:I have a few controversial ideas.

Would it involve playing players in their natural positions? :lol:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:01 pm

We need Perch back and have to hope that this Forrester lad is decent. Rawson has to play instead of Hewitt but Nartey doesn't look up to it so far after 2 games.

Missing out on Naylor has probably messed this up, he would've been a fantastic signing and it was so close to happening
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:02 pm

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:I have a few controversial ideas.

Would it involve playing players in their natural positions? :lol:

It's a strong possibility.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:05 pm

As soon as Perch is back and Forrester fit we are going to be so much stronger at right back.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:05 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:We need Perch back and have to hope that this Forrester lad is decent. Rawson has to play instead of Hewitt but Nartey doesn't look up to it so far after 2 games.

Missing out on Naylor has probably messed this up, he would've been a fantastic signing and it was so close to happening

Yes, missing out on Naylor was a,blow but Nigel had weeks to find others and, yet again, has been left with no real plan B.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:07 pm

Will be actually he asked any challenging questions though?

how about something like - “you’ve been here 10 months, you’ve had 2 transfer windows, you’ve conceded 17 in 9 games can you please explain this?”
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:09 pm

By God I was happy he'd seen the light and was replacing Rawson but he'd be first name on the team sheet next Saturday.

Nartey looks like a slow, chunky midfielder/forward that's trying to be converted to a CH, woeful
Last edited by Parkinsons Perm on Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:14 pm

If the Naylor situation had happened on deadline day then I'd certainly entertain that notion. It didn't. With covid clubs are tightening their belts it shouldn't have been that hard to get a solid defender in.

On paper, Defensively, we've brought in a player relegated last season, an injured youth teamer from higher up and a youth teamer from higher up that couldn't wait to send us the paperwork to get it done. We've also loaned out a player who got relegated last season and another who was man of the match most games under Coughlan.

As always when you're in a rut you go back to basics, best available players in their best positions. Use the best formation and style to suite the players you have.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:15 pm

adamstag wrote:Will be actually he asked any challenging questions though?

how about something like - “you’ve been here 10 months, you’ve had 2 transfer windows, you’ve conceded 17 in 9 games can you please explain this?”

This...
Hes had long enough to sort that defence out.
He needs to take some accountability..
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Lurker Dan 95 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:15 pm

You know its bad when we want Rawson back
Lurker Dan 95
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Johnny H » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:20 pm

gazza1988 wrote:If the Naylor situation had happened on deadline day then I'd certainly entertain that notion. It didn't. With covid clubs are tightening their belts it shouldn't have been that hard to get a solid defender in.

On paper, Defensively, we've brought in a player relegated last season, an injured youth teamer from higher up and a youth teamer from higher up that couldn't wait to send us the paperwork to get it done. We've also loaned out a player who got relegated last season and another who was man of the match most games under Coughlan.

As always when you're in a rut you go back to basics, best available players in their best positions. Use the best formation and style to suite the players you have.

Fully agree....the squad is still set up to play 352......it was under GC and nothing has really changed under NC

NC is a bit of a dinosaur in that he thinks his preferred formation that worked 10 years ago might still cut it today....not when there are more forward thinking coaches and the game has moved onwards !!!!!!

C'mon Nigel....prove to us that you know what your doing....cos 12 months in nearly....I am struggling to see it !!
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:24 pm

Clone Rawson, nartey and Hewitt not up to it

Play Burke at left back and push macca further up? Missed some experience in the middle today.

Play 442?

Sign Jason Shackell
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:26 pm

Sedgwick wrote:Clone Rawson, nartey and Hewitt not up to it

Play Burke at left back and push macca further up? Missed some experience in the middle today.

Play 442?

Sign Jason Shackell

Burke :lol: :lol: another little lad in mesters football. Alfreton ran him ragged
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:32 pm

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:Clone Rawson, nartey and Hewitt not up to it

Play 442?

Sign Jason Shackell

Burke :lol: :lol: another little lad in mesters football. Alfreton ran him ragged

I was looking at the squad and we would have been better off with Benning instead of him.

And players like stirk, we needed experience sat on the bench not lads yet to do anything in the game.

Harrogate in the cup highlighted our weak depth. They made changes and we're all experienced, not world beaters but the kinds of players you need in a squad.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby gavinbrookes » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:55 pm

The volume of goals we concede each week has me now genuinely concerned about relegation. Just hoping that there are two awful teams even worse than us this season.

As for Clough, he needs to show he's worth his salt now. Each week we see the same problems and the same poor results but there is no accountability but mostly blaming referees and individual players. Clough needs to get us working hard and keeping clean sheets. We could with a couple of 0-0 draws now to stop the rot and then give us a base to build on. I guess we will find out over the next couple of weeks whether this manager is up to it.
gavinbrookes
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:58 pm

it’s HIS players, what’s HE going to do about getting us out of this mess ?

the buck stops with Clough
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby natfromboza » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:55 pm

Never thought I would say this but would it be worth seeing if we could get Jake Buxton in. Ok he's 36 but if fit could be no worse than the 2 we had starting today. Also would provide that experience and leadership we are crying out for whenever Perch is not playing.
natfromboza
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:58 pm

natfromboza wrote:Never thought I would say this but would it be worth seeing if we could get Jake Buxton in. Ok he's 36 but if fit could be no worse than the 2 we had starting today. Also would provide that experience and leadership we are crying out for whenever Perch is not playing.

Christ this place has peaked... he wouldn't be match fit by preseason. He also has a job.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby natfromboza » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:09 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
natfromboza wrote:Never thought I would say this but would it be worth seeing if we could get Jake Buxton in. Ok he's 36 but if fit could be no worse than the 2 we had starting today. Also would provide that experience and leadership we are crying out for whenever Perch is not playing.

Christ this place has peaked... he wouldn't be match fit by preseason. He also has a job.

Fair enough, we don't all know him like you clearly do.
natfromboza
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:13 pm

natfromboza wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Fair enough, we don't all know him like you clearly do.

Hes Derbys under 23 coach, hes not played since he took over Burton last year when Nigel left.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:15 pm

Adrian Mariappa, released by Bristol City and still without a club. Played for Jamaica the ither day in world Cup qualifiers.

Wages could be an issue, played championship/premier league football. but would bring experience.

Joe Wright doesn't seem to have a club. 26 years old and played 40 games for Doncaster last season.

There's a couple of options.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Ridge » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:39 pm

Wright is out injured until well into the new year. Nasty injury in Donny's final game of last season.
Ridge
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby geoffhill » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:33 am

I find it hard to believe that Nartey played 29 games in league one.From what I have seen so far he is not good in the air and not strong enough.He was easily knocked off the ball for their second goal.Hewitt not good enough either,Gordon not up to it too.Nigel has to remedy the defence and quickly or we will be fighting relegation.Early days I know but needs sorting.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum