{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Quinn

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Quinn

Postby bmthstag » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:13 am

MTFCMusings wrote:I assume the footage they would have used would have come from the analysts camera.

I don't really understand the wording of their statement, but it was the right decision by the letter of the law and Quinn admitted the charge, so it's hard to feel too aggrieved.

Except by guessing and taking us down to 9 men we had absolutely no hope of getting anything from the game. With 10 men we might have stood a chance.

It wasn’t the right decision by he letter of the law, the referee can only award something if he’s sure he or his team have seen it. That statement means they didn’t.

By all means charge him afterwards and ban him but don’t guess in the first place.
bmthstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:14 am

Rustystag wrote:I honestly didn't think it was that bad the player was in his face shouting Quinn tapped the back of his leg then he screams to the lino you saw that

Agree that it was barely anything, but these days if you kick out you're going to get punished.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:15 am

bmthstag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:I assume the footage they would have used would have come from the analysts camera.

I don't really understand the wording of their statement, but it was the right decision by the letter of the law and Quinn admitted the charge, so it's hard to feel too aggrieved.

Except by guessing and taking us down to 9 men we had absolutely no hope of getting anything from the game. With 10 men we might have stood a chance.

It wasn’t the right decision by he letter of the law, the referee can only award something if he’s sure he or his team have seen it. That statement means they didn’t.

By all means charge him afterwards and ban him but don’t guess in the first place.

They haven't guessed, I think the wording of the statement is just wrong, or they are referring to a different incident. Clough was told by the assistant that they saw the kick, so we know they saw it.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:20 am

Well watching the clip on youtube a couple of neutrals thought it a closer contest than many of our fans, 2 red cards decided the game, Manager bashing, now Quinny.
Many players lose their head in the heate of battle, fiery chap our Quinny, it was a stupid thing to do, and he will get punished for it, [ end off ]
I remember all the games he gave his all for cause, and the pride he shows wearing the shirt.
Many great internationals have been red carded, Harrowgate are a in your face team, Quinn will regret his action,
Must be nice to sit in the stands so perfect, Football is about fine lines,
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby bmthstag » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:21 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
bmthstag wrote:

They haven't guessed, I think the wording of the statement is just wrong, or they are referring to a different incident. Clough was told by the assistant that they saw the kick, so we know they saw it.

So either way the FA have got it wrong.

Either the statement is wrong (and it’s very carefully worded so I don’t see how it can be) bearing in mind this will be based on the referee’s report and an investigation or the referee got very lucky at the time by guessing.

Neither are acceptable.
bmthstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:27 am

bmthstag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
bmthstag wrote:

Either the statement is wrong (and it’s very carefully worded so I don’t see how it can be) bearing in mind this will be based on the referee’s report and an investigation or the referee got very lucky at the time by guessing.

Neither are acceptable.

There's no point getting too twisted up about it as I say. However they got to the decision, they got it right (IMO). The club haven't appealed, Quinn admitted the charge. Take the medicine and move on.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:33 am

whatever went through Quinn’s head i’ve not a clue
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby NEStag » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:40 am

I would guess that they have probably taken a precedent statement from another incident as I imagine the fact pattern they have described is fairly standard and then they've applied it wrongly to this situation.
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Jimstag » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:41 am

Just have to move forward, fine Quinn for giving the ref a decision to make and tell him he’s a big boy that should know better.

The statement by the fa does the ref no favours. We know from the interview that the lino did see it and if they claim they didn’t then why was the card shown? Rightly or wrongly it would have been a guess.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Beyond The Pale » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:43 am

The Harrogate players & staff need to take a good look at themselves, absolutely shocking antics. Raspberries the load of them.
I backed my car into a cop car the other day, he just drove off, sometimes life's okay...
Beyond The Pale
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Chris M » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:55 am

Beyond The Pale wrote:The Harrogate players & staff need to take a good look at themselves, absolutely shocking antics. Raspberries the load of them.

They should, yes, but they will not do that. They are more likely to employ their dirty cheating tactics more frequently if it gets them 3 points.

Harrogate could not wait to get our players sent off last week. They appealed for a booking after EVERY free kick.

It is tactics like this that will eventually drive supporters away from football, in my opinion anyway.

As a side issue, how the hell was Quinn shown a red card if the match officials did not see the incident?
Chris M
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:56 am

Chris M wrote:
Beyond The Pale wrote:The Harrogate players & staff need to take a good look at themselves, absolutely shocking antics. Raspberries the load of them.

They should, yes, but they will not do that. They are more likely to employ their dirty cheating tactics more frequently if it gets them 3 points.

Harrogate could not wait to get our players sent off last week. They appealed for a booking after EVERY tackle.

It is tactics like this that will eventually drive supporters away from football, in my opinion anyway.

As a side issue, how the hell was Quinn shown a red card if the match officials did not see the incident?

Let's not pretend its an issue specific to Harrogate. We dived three times to try and get a penalty.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Chris M » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:59 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Chris M wrote:

Harrogate could not wait to get our players sent off last week. They appealed for a booking after EVERY tackle.

Let's not pretend its an issue specific to Harrogate. We dived three times to try and get a penalty.

Sadly you are absolutely correct. A sad indictment of modern football. All I would say though is that Harrogate take it to the extreme.
Chris M
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:34 am

bmthstag wrote:

We could’ve had 12 men and I still don’t think we would’ve got anything from the game we were abysmal before the red cards.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:58 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
bmthstag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
bmthstag wrote:

Neither are acceptable.

There's no point getting too twisted up about it as I say. However they got to the decision, they got it right (IMO). The club haven't appealed, Quinn admitted the charge. Take the medicine and move on.

There's every reason to get twisted up about the whole situation. Do you not get that, that it's not in particular just the Quinn decision people are wound up about but look at the bigger picture. League two referees are sending people off without seeing the offense which he has sent them off for.

Its an absolute disgrace.

I also don't know how you can say that the referee has seen it, it's plain as day him and his team haven't seen it after reading that press release. Im not sure how you can draw any other conclusions up from reading that.

It's a balls up in that it proves guesswork is at play in our league and shows how bad the officials have become in our league.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:02 pm

Agree Stoney there is a wider issue with refereeing standards, across the whole game not just in League Two.

Quinn was sent off because the assistant referee saw him kick a Harrogate player. That was explained to Nigel Clough at the time, so there is clearly an error with the statement, or they are referring to a separate incident. Clough said '“It wasn’t the referee [who saw the reason for Quinn’s dismissal], it was the assistant. He said he’d seen a kick. So, if that’s the case, that’s inexcusable, and he’ll be fined and dealt with accordingly.' He saw the kick, we've seen the kick. Therefore there is clearly an error within the statement, or they are referring to a separate incident (Quinn lashes out at someone after his pen appeal, there is also a player already on the floor before Quinn kicks another player).
Last edited by MTFCMusings on Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:49 pm

The statement says the ‘match officials’ where I think the statement should say ‘match official’ (ie Referee not seen the incident, but confirmed by video after Lino told him about the kick).
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby london amber stag » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:37 pm

Harrogate are a tough physical team who appeal for a free kick at every tackle. It is clearly one of their tactics to intimidate the ref and sadly the officials are falling for it. They have quickly become one of the teams to take a strangle hold on top spot but I do not think they can maintain this position over a full season. They are an effective but ugly team. Walsall will be a very different prospect but we are missing key players tomorrow and I am concerned we will capitulate again.
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:23 pm

The Assistant did see the kick Stoney, as Musings says, so the error is with the statement. Obviously the referee was dealing with Clarke so no way could he be expected to see it. Quinn deserved to be sent off, a player of his experience really should know better and he has let his team and manager down badly.

I agree about the overall standard of refereeing, it is in decline and it seems the same names keep cropping up every week yet continue to operate at this level. It has to be said the shortage of referees, due mainly to the abuse they receive, plays some part in the lowering of standards.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Martian » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:13 pm

What a pathetic little kick from Quinn - it was almost like a show of affection - if you're going to kick somebody and miss 3 games for violent conduct you might as well give them a bruise at least - and what did happen to the Harrogate guy who was on the floor? I thought that footage of the "last man foul" that got Clarke sent off made it look a poorer decision too.
Martian
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Suttonian » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:11 am

Martian wrote:What a pathetic little kick from Quinn - it was almost like a show of affection - if you're going to kick somebody and miss 3 games for violent conduct you might as well give them a bruise at least - and what did happen to the Harrogate guy who was on the floor? I thought that footage of the "last man foul" that got Clarke sent off made it look a poorer decision too.

Compare that to the foul by Newport on Tyler Walker in the play-off semi final. The standard of some referees in this league is shocking
Suttonian
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:22 am

MTFCMusings wrote:Agree Stoney there is a wider issue with refereeing standards, across the whole game not just in League Two.

Quinn was sent off because the assistant referee saw him kick a Harrogate player. That was explained to Nigel Clough at the time, so there is clearly an error with the statement, or they are referring to a separate incident. Clough said '“It wasn’t the referee [who saw the reason for Quinn’s dismissal], it was the assistant. He said he’d seen a kick. So, if that’s the case, that’s inexcusable, and he’ll be fined and dealt with accordingly.' He saw the kick, we've seen the kick. Therefore there is clearly an error within the statement, or they are referring to a separate incident (Quinn lashes out at someone after his pen appeal, there is also a player already on the floor before Quinn kicks another player).

MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sweden Stag » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:31 am

Suttonian wrote:
Martian wrote:What a pathetic little kick from Quinn - it was almost like a show of affection - if you're going to kick somebody and miss 3 games for violent conduct you might as well give them a bruise at least - and what did happen to the Harrogate guy who was on the floor? I thought that footage of the "last man foul" that got Clarke sent off made it look a poorer decision too.

Compare that to the foul by Newport on Tyler Walker in the play-off semi final. The standard of some referees in this league is shocking

Agree. I watched that game on telly over here and if you are referring to the semi-final at Newport, it was the far worst refereeing performance I have ever seen in any Stags game I have been able to watch over two decades. There was also the shocking penalty decision against Logan awarded by Charles Breakspear, whom we thankfully (along with Darren Drysdale, by the way) haven't had since then. Charles Breakspear is one contributor to what has happened re: League positions since then. Instead of our current predicament, we could and should have matched sides like Ipswich and Sunderland to name but a few.

On the Quinn ban, six games are far too many. Three had been sufficient enough.

Speaks volumes about the standard of English officials, appalling to print the most appropriate. Need only to look at some ratings in Stagsnet reports so far this term, twice rating 4, twice rating 5 (that includes the one which sent Quinn and another player off against Harrogate)
Stockholm, July 4, 2008, 15.00 GMT. Good news came, K.H. gone. March 1, 2012. Ground purchased.
Sweden Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby victor A block » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:32 am

MTFCMusings wrote:Shall we give the lad more than one game to make an impression or have we made our minds up?

I’m sure he knows he didn’t play well (despite what Clough said)

(Nartey) I think we've done that now. :lol: I'm prepared to stick with my original opinion. Lightweight.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Beyond The Pale » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:35 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Agree Stoney there is a wider issue with refereeing standards, across the whole game not just in League Two.

Six games is a joke, that's pretty much down to Harrogates antics. Their number 4 (Falkingham?) was at it all the game, he needs a proper good whack to give him something to cry about.
I backed my car into a cop car the other day, he just drove off, sometimes life's okay...
Beyond The Pale
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum