{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

3 New signings and 1 bid turned down

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: 3 New signings and 1 bid turned down

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:43 pm

smulls wrote:
Rob wrote:Is Rodney school still around?

Sadly the school closed down in 2006. After the Rodney School’s departure, the hall again lay empty until another school, Wings – which provides education for children who cannot attend mainstream schools – moved in, and they remain the current custodians.

Do you mean Welbeck College ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:20 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
smulls wrote:

Sadly the school closed down in 2006. After the Rodney School’s departure, the hall again lay empty until another school, Wings – which provides education for children who cannot attend mainstream schools – moved in, and they remain the current custodians.

Rodney School was in Kirklington.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:37 pm

Sneag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
smulls wrote:

Yes it was, Welbeck is just outside Worksop. What was the defence 6th form at Welbeck was relocated to Loughborough but due to Tory defence cuts is now longer a defence college. In a way it's sad Rodney is no more but as a left of centre type I find it quite uplifting that Wings now uses the premises.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:29 am

Rob wrote:
Sneag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
smulls wrote:

Yes it was, Welbeck is just outside Worksop. What was the defence 6th form at Welbeck was relocated to Loughborough but due to Tory defence cuts is now longer a defence college. In a way it's sad Rodney is no more but as a left of centre type I find it quite uplifting that Wings now uses the premises.

I that’s why I asked the question. It was a stepping stone for potential Officers and they’re called Rodneys in the Army, hence my question as to whether it was a nickname.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:40 am

Ah I see. Yes it moved from Worksop to a brand new building near Loughborough but sadly shut this year, it was a tri-Service 6th form college aimed at Engineers, Medical and Dental who would then be sponsored through Uni. It was a very short sighted decision from the govt to close it, especially given the shortage of those professions in the military. I'm not sure why Rodney was named, its the actual name of the school, probably named after Rodney Rodney Arnold ;)
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Hon Sec » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:03 am

My mates parents paid for him to go to Rodney in the late 50s. He became a banker for all his working life. He never mentioned anything to me about it being a school for potential forces personnel.
Hon Sec
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby waddostag » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:31 am

Hon Sec wrote:My mates parents paid for him to go to Rodney in the late 50s. He became a banker for all his working life. He never mentioned anything to me about it being a school for potential forces personnel.

When I was serving in the RAF a lot of the service magazines/publications had adverts for service personnel children private education/boarding and the Rodney school was always prominently advertised in them. So my guess is more likely service personnel kids rather than potential forces personnel.
waddostag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:35 am

waddostag wrote:
Hon Sec wrote:My mates parents paid for him to go to Rodney in the late 50s. He became a banker for all his working life. He never mentioned anything to me about it being a school for potential forces personnel.

When I was serving in the RAF a lot of the service magazines/publications had adverts for service personnel children private education/boarding and the Rodney school was always prominently advertised in them. So my guess is more likely service personnel kids rather than potential forces personnel.

That’s true. The boarding school allowance for the military was very generous so many people of all ranks took advantage of it. Moving around can’t be good for a child’s education. My daughter had been to 7 schools by the time she was 12.

The BSA was so lucrative that it’s been abused quite badly and a Major General was jailed for a couple of years recently for fraud.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:48 pm

It wasn't, but as a boarding school many Forces kids went there, as Belly explained. Welbeck was specifically for 6th form students who intended joining the military post university.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:07 pm

smulls wrote:

I very nearly went to Rodney School but at the interview they said to my Mum, 'Sorry but Mark is too posh for us. Try and get him into a good school like Garibaldi, they have PE teacher called Mr Dyton who loves Rugby which is the game all the top class schools play'.
So I ended up there.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:32 pm

Garibaldi? It's so off Topic, are you taking the biscuit.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:15 am

Forrester should be arriving soon, hopefully
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:35 pm

The One wrote:Forrester should be arriving soon, hopefully

Let's hope he's the next John Terry then..

It's a tough one because you need a settled side, but looks like we need to make changes every game. Bit of a lottery if who's capable to play today
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:05 pm

I thought Nartey had played 30 games in L1 for Burton. Really ?

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum