{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Joey Barton

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Joey Barton

Postby ParisStag » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:23 pm

The manager of our opening day opponents has been charged with beating up a woman and is in court tomorrow. If found guilty, he'd likely be sacked and a Rovers would probably be managerless for their visit to Field Mill.

https://gaschat.co.uk/thread/18273/bart ... nal-charge
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Re: Joey Barton

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:26 pm

difficult not to comment but i’ll try !!!
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:45 pm

I doubt it will have been dealt with that quickly. He’s already on bail for the assault on the rival manager in the tunnel after the game and that is set for trial in November. I presume he will also plead not guilty to this one as well. I judge that on the fact the first one is on camera and he still won’t accept it.

My guess is they will tie the two together unless he elects separate trial (probably will). Surely he must get a custodial if convicted of them both.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:04 pm

Maybe he and Ryan Giggs can get together and compare notes
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:15 pm

Will Bristol Rovers suspend him to allow him to clear his name like other clubs have recently. Or will he, if he has committed the offence, take the ‘Adam paedophile Johnson’ approach where he goes not guilty until court, with the full backing of the club ensuring he gets full contractual remuneration and then plead guilty at day one of trial?
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:32 pm

As I have said before a horrible man.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:18 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:Will Bristol Rovers suspend him to allow him to clear his name like other clubs have recently. Or will he, if he has committed the offence, take the ‘Adam paedophile Johnson’ approach where he goes not guilty until court, with the full backing of the club ensuring he gets full contractual remuneration and then plead guilty at day one of trial?

He has already had a partial trial which was abandoned as his victim was abroad and Barton objected to evidence via a remote video link. That’s why it’s been adjourned until November when the witness is back in this country. I suspect he was hoping for an acquittal not an adjournment.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:36 pm

The media just love a joey Barton story ..
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:46 pm

How this man still has a job in football I will never know. I'm all for due process and innocent until proven guilty but the thought that, given his history of violence, anyone in their right mind would consider him an innocent man in this instance is laughable. His brand is toxic and he's a stain on the beautiful game. Vile human being.
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby m1cksut » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:27 pm

he should have been banned for life years ago, for "allegedly" stubbing out a cigar in an apprentices eye!
at man city, if i remember rightly.
my one regret is...i have no regrets!
m1cksut
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:29 pm

Very sad news.

I read Joey Barton's autobiography mainly because he was assisted by Michael Calvin who has written some tremendous football books. Joey Barton certainly had a tough upbringing and he's made loads of mistakes but I admired how he tried to improve and educate himself as his career progressed. He is his own man and he is an intelligent bloke with an enquiring mind. He gives his wife loads of credit for helping to save him and put him on the straight and narrow. However he clearly has a self destruct button which he just cannot resist keep pressing.

Overall I found his book a little disappointing and below Michael Calvin's usual standards although you hoped he would not fall back into his old ways.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:16 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Very sad news.

I read Joey Barton's autobiography mainly because he was assisted by Michael Calvin who has written some tremendous football books. Joey Barton certainly had a tough upbringing and he's made loads of mistakes but I admired how he tried to improve and educate himself as his career progressed. He is his own man and he is an intelligent bloke with an enquiring mind. He gives his wife loads of credit for helping to save him and put him on the straight and narrow. However he clearly has a self destruct button which he just cannot resist keep pressing.

Overall I found his book a little disappointing and below Michael Calvin's usual standards although you hoped he would not fall back into his old ways.

Seems a funny way to reward the wife you credit so much for your success and putting you on the straight and narrow.

Rovers should suspend him immediately but seeing as how they appointed him whilst on bail for football related violence, I doubt they will.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:59 am

Pleaded Not Guilty and trial fixed for Dec 16th
Surely Rovers will now suspend him
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:03 pm

yellowstagsfan wrote:Pleaded Not Guilty and trial fixed for Dec 16th
Surely Rovers will now suspend him

Bet they don’t. And why is his bail unconditional? Should at least be banned from contacting his victim unless she wants him back. If not, the judicial system is really letting her down.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:37 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-b ... 990366.amp

What did the club publish. Seems like it was removed quite quickly.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:18 am

I don’t know but I’m sure rival supporters will let him know exactly how they feel wherever he appears.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:27 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I don’t know but I’m sure rival supporters will let him know exactly how they feel wherever he appears.

You’d like to think that he gets some advice from the WSL
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:54 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-57990366.amp

What did the club publish. Seems like it was removed quite quickly.

I think the club called it a victimless crime, because I think the wife is not pressing charges.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:58 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I don’t know but I’m sure rival supporters will let him know exactly how they feel wherever he appears.
Whilst not being a fan of Mr Barton, is it right to judge him before he's had a fair trial ?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:07 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Whilst not being a fan of Mr Barton, is it right to judge him before he's had a fair trial ?

No probably not. Maybe we should just rely on his previous convictions and give him grief for them.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum