{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Hull scorefred - now we are on a roll.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Hull scorefred - now we are on a roll.

Postby Vice President » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:21 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:left & right back at present for us are not true defenders & agreed not sure in that area will be weak links again

Agreed. I'm not sure that we have sufficiently strengthened our defence from last season (yet). I still trust Nigel to get it right, but it might take a while. Missing out on Naylor was a blow, as it would have enabled Perch to play at right back.

That said .... Great result & performance today!
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:04 pm

:)

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:09 pm

halifaxstag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:An excellent all round performance. We rode our luck on occasions but deserved the result in the end.

The team looked calm under pressure and comfortable with the ball. Sorry but I’m still not comfortable with Gordon at right back. He was leaving his man in acres (not yards) of space and I’m very surprised Hull didn’t exploit it by playing the winger in more often. His forward play was better but not good enough to justify his defensive frailties for me. That was the only negative I could see and it will be a good season if we stay as organised during the league campaign.

Well done to all involved including Gordon.

Gordon kept getting ripped by their winger, Potter it might have been everytime. To me Gordon isn't a full back but a winger but I don't make these decisions :D only grumble about a good day, can't wait for the season

Keane Lewis-Potter was virtually ever present in Hull’s L1 winning side last season ( 43 matches/ 13 goals) and at 20 years old is seen as a bright prospect and likely to play in the Premier League. Give Gordon a break. He is obviously better going forward but is generally a decent defender. McLaughlin also got beaten quite a few time on the other side, but these are Championship players.

It was nothing to do with the quality of the opposition’s winger but Gordon’s positional sense. He was often 20 - 30 yards from his man leaving a huge space for the winger to run into if the ball was played correctly. He could have been up against the Cheaterfield winger and still have got beaten every time. He just seems to switch off at times and lose concentration. He also needs to get back when he loses the ball upfield. In one instance today, he felt he had been fouled but instead of chasing his man down went to protest to the assistant ref leaving his man completely free. Another time he threw himself to the floor trying for a foul when he had the ball nicked off his toe and just stayed down. He won’t keep getting away with these mistakes and teams will find him out. He needs to get his act together if he is to play at fullback.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:55 pm

I'm not trying to slag off Gordon at all, but he did get rinsed obviously by a player of much higher quality. Just pointing that out. We've known for ages he looks better at going forward than he is defensively
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:05 pm

:) 8min 20 penalty

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:08 pm

[quote="bobbystagsfan"]I'm not trying to slag off Gordon at all, but he did get rinsed obviously by a player of much higher quality. Just pointing that out. We've known for ages he looks better at going forward than he is defensively[/quote

Says negative Annie , so you agree he’s cack as many do on here ?? Or is that fence your sitting on a lot higher than us not so worthy posters ?
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:12 pm

Billy the fish wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:I'm not trying to slag off Gordon at all, but he did get rinsed obviously by a player of much higher quality. Just pointing that out. We've known for ages he looks better at going forward than he is defensively[/quote

Says negative Annie , so you agree he’s cack as many do on here ?? Or is that fence your sitting on a lot higher than us not so worthy posters ?

Surprised you're here giving it big uns, you're usually nowhere to be found when we win you miserable git. It was an observation, no I don't think Gordon is cack. He was playing against a winger that was part of a team that won League One last year.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:24 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:I'm not trying to slag off Gordon at all, but he did get rinsed obviously by a player of much higher quality. Just pointing that out. We've known for ages he looks better at going forward than he is defensively[/quote

Surprised you're here giving it big uns, you're usually nowhere to be found when we win you miserable git. It was an observation, no I don't think Gordon is cack. He was playing against a winger that was part of a team that won League One last year.

Miserable I couldn’t be more happier the Stags won my 5 fold accumulator came in and the rain forecast has stayed off , now enjoying a welcome beer outdoors you just keep on clapping I’m sure you enjoy it :D :D
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:40 pm

Billy the fish wrote:
adamstag wrote:Wonder what billy makes of this :lol: :shock:

We’ve actually done what we seldom did last season score 2 goals away from home and manage to see the game out .

So that was just a piece of fact. No pleasure in it. Just facts. Nice.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:52 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:
adamstag wrote:Wonder what billy makes of this :lol: :shock:

We’ve actually done what we seldom did last season score 2 goals away from home and manage to see the game out .

So that was just a piece of fact. No pleasure in it. Just facts. Nice.

Some people are joyless.

This was an excellent performance against last seasons League 1 Champions. You wouldn't know it reading some of the garbage on here!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:57 pm

Billy the fish wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:

Miserable I couldn’t be more happier the Stags won my 5 fold accumulator came in and the rain forecast has stayed off , now enjoying a welcome beer outdoors you just keep on clapping I’m sure you enjoy it :D :D

There's a first for everything isn't there?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:16 pm

Buxton friendly!! When is this?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:33 pm

Spiritater wrote:Buxton friendly!! When is this?

Aug 3.
https://stagsnet.net/match/Fixtures.html
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Spiritater » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:37 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote::) 8min 20 penalty

Whiffy can't have watched this yet :lol:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:40 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:

Aug 3.

Ok Marty ta.
Nice ground is Buxton's
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:57 pm

Spiritater wrote:
STAGS FOR LIFE wrote::) 8min 20 penalty

Whiffy can't have watched this yet :lol:

Can anyone else smell fox wee wee and bus shelters ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:19 pm

Spiritater wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

Aug 3.

Ok Marty ta.
Nice ground is Buxton's

Except for the awful plaggy pitch
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:11 pm

account from a Hull fan worth a read
http://boothferrytowembley.blogspot.com ... ys-of.html
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:41 pm

Gordon new boo boy then. Weve just beat a team higher up the pyramid and gordon getting singled out. Look who he played against...morons
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:31 am

lifestags wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:Charsley missing too, more pings for the squad perhaps?

Clough has already said that Lapslie and Charsley are injured, nothing mentioned yet about Hewitt.

I want to see Oates upfront.

When Hewitt came off at Matlock he put a bag of ice on his leg.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:03 am

PEAR CIDER wrote:Gordon new boo boy then. Weve just beat a team higher up the pyramid and gordon getting singled out. Look who he played against...morons

This is a discussion forum for fans to express views about the prospects of the team and how it is forming prior to the start of the season. We all have views about individual players and how they fit into a team and the team’s overall prospects about the season ahead. The views expressed are about the strength of the team and how we see the upcoming season going. This is particularly pertinent at the start of a new season as fans assess the team and state their view as to the strengths and weaknesses of the team.

It has long been my view that Kellan Gordon is not skilled enough at full back in a team that is serious about promotion and I have expressed that view consistently in discussions. That does not mean that Kellan is not a skilled footballer but is simply being used out of position. He was after all brought to the club as a winger and that is his natural position. I would never boo Kellan or any other player or shout discouraging comments during a game as that is counterproductive. I will however criticise him on a discussion forum which is designed for fans to express their views and also post reasons for the criticism. That does not make me a moron.

If you do not wish to read constructive comments about the strengths and weaknesses of our players perhaps you should not read the forum designed for that purpose.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:36 am

Vice President wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:left & right back at present for us are not true defenders & agreed not sure in that area will be weak links again

Agreed. I'm not sure that we have sufficiently strengthened our defence from last season (yet). I still trust Nigel to get it right, but it might take a while. Missing out on Naylor was a blow, as it would have enabled Perch to play at right back.

Macca done a fine job at left back and did better than Mal. Theres not many decent left backs in this league and Nigel isn't going to spend for the sake of it.

Gordon, played at right back all his career but not a defender because a grumpy stags fan expects him to be as good as Kyle Walker.... He's one of our most exciting players.

One thing people will get used to, if a player isn't performing and is letting Nigel down, he will move on and quickly rectify the problem. If theres a player or two he missed on out, if needed he'll go and get them in January.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:01 am

Sedgwick wrote:
Vice President wrote:

Macca done a fine job at left back and did better than Mal. Theres not many decent left backs in this league and Nigel isn't going to spend for the sake of it.

Gordon, played at right back all his career but not a defender because a grumpy stags fan expects him to be as good as Kyle Walker.... He's one of our most exciting players.

One thing people will get used to, if a player isn't performing and is letting Nigel down, he will move on and quickly rectify the problem. If theres a player or two he missed on out, if needed he'll go and get them in January.

No one expects Gordon to be as good as Walker. What we hope for is competence in that position or at least close to it if we wish to progress up the leagues. Gordon undoubtedly has skills but also flaws in his game, particularly in respect of his positional sense, which unfortunately make him mediocre as a full back. That’s fine if we want mid table but for promotion we need better as teams will learn and exploit. If we just want to watch an exciting player then play him as a winger, a position where mistakes don’t usually cost the team so much.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:20 am

You're not keen on Gordon mate , we get it.

Getting boring now.....
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:26 am

Great performance and lots of positives to be taken from it.

Turns out it was only half of hulls team as they were also at scunthorpe (winning 1-0)
adamstag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum