{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Scorefred, Tuesday is a new beginning

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Scorefred, Tuesday is a new beginning

Postby Rob » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:42 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
Rob wrote:
Son Of Sherwood wrote:Great result!

Thanks Rob, thanks Gazza for the updates.

No worries. It was a great run out and just great to see live football. Credit to Retford too, they made it competitive even if the score doesn't reflect it! Johnson looks like the poacher we need, though obviously too early to make big predictions.

Nice chips too, skin on, great!

great to catch up Rob, i think second half we spent to much time yapping & not enough time watching my friend

Indeed mate, just great to feel normal again!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:42 pm

natfromboza wrote:Great entertainment. The players looked extremely fit already. Great to see Menayese start and play well alongside Hewitt. Johnson and Hawkins looked proper strikers and Sinclair when he came on was unplayable, what a talent he is!

thought Ollie was superb first half, ran everything
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:56 pm

a reminder that the full match of the Retford game, with full commentary, will be available on iFollow tomorrow, with the goals available on the club's social media and youtube.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:53 pm

An enjoyable evening watching live football which was the first live football I've seen since Northampton away in March 2020. The Stags looked a lot sharper than normal for the first friendly of the season. They tried to play at a fast tempo throughout and inevitably Retford tired towards the end. Retford had to play their U21 keeper and were struggling to put a team together due to injuries. They battled well though and had two very good chances to score which they did not take.

Stephen McLaughlin was excellent in the first half. Top quality.
Great strike from 30-35 yards by Oli Hawkins into the top bins for the first goal.
Stephen Quinn is a brilliant competitor who wants to win everything. Scored the second goal with a slight deflection taking it past the keeper.
Started the game with Grimsby Town's centre half pairing of Rollin Menayese and Elliott Hewitt although swapped over with Elliott Hewitt playing on the left. Was this being done to give Elliott Hewitt practice at left centre half so he can play alongside Farrend Rawson? I liked the way Elliott Hewitt brought the ball out of defence.
Flashes of electric pace from Kellan Gordon.
Great finishing from Danny Johnson who loves a first time shot on his left foot.
Tyrese Sinclair was full of confidence and looks top quality. We will probably get a big offer for him if he plays in the first team on a regular basis. Two goals, an assist and hit the crossbar with a great free kick. Local Donny fans watching the game were raving about him.
Jimmy Knowles looked sharp.
Nathan Caine looks like he's grown another foot and could be another good prospect.
George Cooper looked good at the back.
Corey O'Keeffe is a very good attacking full back who was the first to walk off the pitch on his own at the end. I felt sorry for him. It must be really hard to play knowing that you are not wanted. We should play him in the pre-season friendlies as he will definitely attract offers.

1st Half:
Owen Mason
Kellan Gordon, Rollin Menayese, Elliott Hewitt, Stephen McLaughlin
Harry Charsley, Ollie Clarke, George Lapslie, Stephen Quinn
Oli Hawkins, Danny Johnson

After Subs
Owen Mason/?
Corey O'Keeffe, James Clarke, George Cooper, Jayden Charles
Tyrese Sinclair, Keaton Ward, Ethan Hill, George Scott
Nathan Caine, Jimmy Knowles

Did Not Play: George Shelvey, Nathan Bishop (with Man Utd), Marek Stech, James Perch, Farrend Rawson, Ryan Burke, George Maris, Jason Law, Jordan Bowery, Rhys Oates, Josh Scott (injured)
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:46 am, edited 4 times in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:24 am

Great result and although the opposition wasn’t strong, it sounds like the desire and the quality is there.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:56 am

natfromboza wrote:Great entertainment. The players looked extremely fit already. Great to see Menayese start and play well alongside Hewitt. Johnson and Hawkins looked proper strikers and Sinclair when he came on was unplayable, what a talent he is!
That's really telling. I went to the Retford Town friendly at the start of last season. What was obvious at the game, was the players didnt look fit.

Hopefully we will get off to a good start when the league games commence.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:09 am

Last pre season was pretty much very different, the lockdown had curtailed pretty much any gathering or outside activity for weeks on end. The rules are much less stringent now and soon ( hopefully ) be done away with altogether.
Thank goodness it's been good honest proper pre season training too and not some jolly up to Portugal.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:23 am

Would like to thank Dan, and Martin for the updates, and it is good the team showed Retford respect and did not just roll the ball around, and scored has many goals as possible.
A good work out nothing more, Moving onto Matlock next, any pre-season game without a player picking up a serious injury is a good one .
Nice to see that Knowles, and Caine, got a brace
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:30 am

Oh i am sorry,[ just looking at the new shirt, ] and though i like Dan, It was Rob who did many of the updates,
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:06 am

Just watched Hawkins goal. Wow.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:08 am

What time is the video being uploaded to iPlayer
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby chip63 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:14 am

Is 9-1 a club record for pre season friendlies or at least the first game of pre season.
Also no mention of who was at fault for their goal, surely the goalie was positioned wrong or the wall didn't jump :D
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:19 am

chip63 wrote:Is 9-1 a club record for pre season friendlies or at least the first game of pre season.
Also no mention of who was at fault for their goal, surely the goalie was positioned wrong or the wall didn't jump :D

It was a good strike but it was the goalkeepers side.

Seamus McDonagh, who was stood behind the goal, was pretty animated afterwards, so perhaps someone who was closer to him will have heard what he was saying.

Owen Mason is absolutely huge, wasn't expecting that at all.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:24 am

:)

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:28 am

Screamer that.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:35 am

that’s some goal!
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:49 am

Let's not play Hawkins at centre half if he can do that :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:03 pm

Spiritater wrote:Last pre season was pretty much very different, the lockdown had curtailed pretty much any gathering or outside activity for weeks on end. The rules are much less stringent now and soon ( hopefully ) be done away with altogether.
Thank goodness it's been good honest proper pre season training too and not some jolly up to Portugal.

Oops, apologies the Retford United friendly I was referring to was TWO seasons ago. The length of this pandemic has addled my brain. I do remember how unfit they looked. :)
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:35 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Owen Mason is absolutely huge, wasn't expecting that at all.

He's only 17 as well. What have they been feeding him on?
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby natfromboza » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:08 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Owen Mason is absolutely huge, wasn't expecting that at all.

He's only 17 as well. What have they been feeding him on?

Very vocal as well which I like to see in a goalkeeper.
natfromboza
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:54 pm

:) 651 attendance
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:33 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:An enjoyable evening watching live football which was the first live football I've seen since Northampton away in March 2020. The Stags looked a lot sharper than normal for the first friendly of the season. They tried to play at a fast tempo throughout and inevitably Retford tired towards the end. Retford had to play their U21 keeper and were struggling to put a team together due to injuries. They battled well though and had two very good chances to score which they did not take.

Great strike from 30-35 yards by Oli Hawkins into the top bins for the first goal.
Stephen Quinn is a brilliant competitor who wants to win everything. Scored the second goal with a slight deflection taking it past the keeper.
Started the game with Grimsby Town's centre half pairing of Rollin Menayese and Elliott Hewitt although swapped over with Elliott Hewitt playing on the left. Was this being done to give Elliott Hewitt practice at left centre half so he can play alongside Farrend Rawson? I liked the way Elliott Hewitt brought the ball out of defence.
Great finishing from Danny Johnson who loves a first time shot on his left foot.
Tyrese Sinclair was full of confidence and looks top quality. We will probably get a big offer for him if he plays in the first team on a regular basis. Two goals, an assist and hit the crossbar with a great free kick. Local Donny fans watching the game were raving about him.
Nathan Caine looks like he's grown another foot and could be another good prospect.
Corey O'Keeffe is a very good attacking full back who was the first to walk off the pitch on his own at the end. I felt sorry for him. It must be really hard to play knowing that you are not wanted. We should play him in the pre-season friendlies as he will definitely attract offers.

1st Half:
Owen Mason

After Subs
Owen Mason/?

Did Not Play: George Shelvey, Nathan Bishop (with Man Utd), Marek Stech, James Perch, Farrend Rawson, Ryan Burke, George Maris, Jason Law, Jordan Bowery, Rhys Oates, Josh Scott (injured)

Having 3 feet could come in handy! :lol:
Seriously - A good report. Thanks.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:23 am

Vice President wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:An enjoyable evening watching live football which was the first live football I've seen since Northampton away in March 2020. The Stags looked a lot sharper than normal for the first friendly of the season. They tried to play at a fast tempo throughout and inevitably Retford tired towards the end. Retford had to play their U21 keeper and were struggling to put a team together due to injuries. They battled well though and had two very good chances to score which they did not take.

1st Half:
Owen Mason

After Subs
Owen Mason/?

Having 3 feet could come in handy! :lol:
Seriously - A good report. Thanks.

We could nickname him Nathan 'Jake the Peg' Caine :rofl:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby StagsFan83 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:32 pm

Which tool tested positive after attending the Retford game! I’ve just been pinged and it works out it’s from Tuesday, the day of the game and apart from football I worked at home that day!
StagsFan83
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:46 pm

StagsFan83 wrote:Which tool tested positive after attending the Retford game! I’ve just been pinged and it works out it’s from Tuesday, the day of the game and apart from football I worked at home that day!

Me too. Just posted the same on another thread.

The annoying thing is that any ‘close contact’ was almost certainly outside!

Where were you stood out of interest?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum