{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Euro 2020 - Tonight’s game

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Tonight’s game (Friday 18th)

Postby Torrystag » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:29 pm

Gazmoose82 wrote:Think people are being slightly dramatic...Scotland nullified our attacking options brilliantly which forced us to play such negative passing around the back etc.

Everyone is criticising southgate for lack of 'excitement' but playing against a side who setup like the scots last nite is very difficult.

Will be far more open vs the czechs which will suit us far more.

Without sounding like a scot ,gazmoose it could also be your downfall ,scotland wont score many ,but the czechs are a bit better if you try to open them up they will hit you on the counter ,
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:33 pm

I blame ITV :lol:

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:49 pm

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
Torrystag wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:
chip63 wrote:That's the best Scotland will play and they couldn't score.
That's the worst England will play and we didn't lose.
I know whose camp I'd rather be in.

And don't forget the celebrations at the end for a 0-0 draw like they'd just beat us in the final.......suppose it was their final :lol:

What celebrations ,scotland fans done what most away fans do at games ,get together ,get drunk ,and have a laugh , im dissapointed we didnt win ,as for england not a chance of winning it ,same as us

"What celebrations" then you go on to describe them.

Did I mention the players punching the air, dancing about hugging each other like other teams when they win or is there no tv in El Dorado? :roll:

You left here once because your trolling backfired ;)

Wont be leaving again bud ,fans getting drunk is normal players punching the air because they got a result they needed is normal its not just because its engerland
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:40 pm

[quote="Amberheart"][quote="part time pete"]Look, he just played for the draw and will play for the draw against the Czechs.

He is planning all along to finish second in the group which is the easier route to the final.[/quote]
Spot on[/quote]

Pathetic. No he's not.

A team reflects the personality of the manager unfortunately.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:48 pm

England played as they do bit pedestrian ,pass it around at the back ,they never really threatened midfield was poor ,kane is a goalscorer if he gets the service ,sterling is vastly over rated
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bear 73 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:49 pm

Torrystag wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:
Torrystag wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:
chip63 wrote:That's the best Scotland will play and they couldn't score.
That's the worst England will play and we didn't lose.
I know whose camp I'd rather be in.

And don't forget the celebrations at the end for a 0-0 draw like they'd just beat us in the final.......suppose it was their final :lol:

What celebrations ,scotland fans done what most away fans do at games ,get together ,get drunk ,and have a laugh , im dissapointed we didnt win ,as for england not a chance of winning it ,same as us

"What celebrations" then you go on to describe them.

Did I mention the players punching the air, dancing about hugging each other like other teams when they win or is there no tv in El Dorado? :roll:

You left here once because your trolling backfired ;)

Wont be leaving again bud ,fans getting drunk is normal players punching the air because they got a result they needed is normal its not just because its engerland

Oh dear calling a ex-pat a troll. sure there is T-V in EL Dorado, and internet, its how he keeps up with the England, threatening us now says he wont be leaving again
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:00 pm

Start with AN expat ,keeping up with THE UK ,your not one of US
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:18 pm

Torrystag wrote:Start with AN expat ,keeping up with THE UK ,your not one of US

:lol: :lol: :lol: classic, correcting him but then using "your" :oops: :oops:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:38 pm

Stop the confrontation please
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:23 pm

part time pete wrote:Look, he just played for the draw and will play for the draw against the Czechs.

He is planning all along to finish second in the group which is the easier route to the final.
My thoughts exactly. He steered us to the semis last time out by throwing the Belgium game to get a favourable draw. Looks like he is trying it again. Smart. :)
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:33 pm

Parkinsons Perm wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: classic, correcting him but then using "your" :oops: :oops:

Or saying england would win 4 0 typo yes ,delusional nah leave that here
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Curry 9 Brace 7 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:38 pm

Thank goodness for Mason Mount the rest were rubbish. Scotland goaly Marshall, let loads of goals in this season for Derby and he only had one save. Gareth is a yes man like so many others in the past, he is a lets not lose man rather than lets go for it.
Curry 9 Brace 7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Oldamber55 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:22 am

The whole England team is overrated .. bigged up by the great British media.. Kane past it..sterling runs around like a young lad on a park .... only decent player with any vision is Mount ... poor substitutions by Southgate..no leader on the pitch.. Scotland did a job and they worked hard.and deserved the point.
Oldamber55
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Spiritater » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:46 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I blame ITV :lol:

Definitely Conrad's fault. ;)
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:49 am

Oldamber55 wrote:The whole England team is overrated .. bigged up by the great British media.. Kane past it..sterling runs around like a young lad on a park .... only decent player with any vision is Mount ... poor substitutions by Southgate..no leader on the pitch.. Scotland did a job and they worked hard.and deserved the point.

Kane has been poor in the 2 games we’ve played no doubt about it, but he isn’t past it. He’s just won the golden boot in the Premier league and racked up the most assists to go with it.

He needs to stop dropping so deep for us though, but he’s probably getting frustrated by the lack of service as it’s been absolutely non existent to him. If we can start creating chances for him anybody would back him to start scoring but he needs to get in to the right areas. Southgate is that concerned with trying to make us solid that we’re starting to really lack creativity. He needs to find a better balance sharpish.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:58 am

Oldamber55 wrote:The whole England team is overrated .. bigged up by the great British media.. Kane past it..sterling runs around like a young lad on a park .... only decent player with any vision is Mount ... poor substitutions by Southgate..no leader on the pitch.. Scotland did a job and they worked hard.and deserved the point.

Absolutely ridiculous. Typical instant gratification post. Kane isn’t past it after an average game. I agree about Sterling. He’s poor. You forgot about Foden. I was absolutely perplexed when Southgate took him off.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:33 am

bellwhiff wrote:

Absolutely ridiculous. Typical instant gratification post. Kane isn’t past it after an average game. I agree about Sterling. He’s poor. You forgot about Foden. I was absolutely perplexed when Southgate took him off.

Yep agreed, Sterling had a shocker and definitely should not play on Tuesday. Kane had no service and did look jaded but he is real class, hopefully a few days rest will do him good. The decision to take Foden off was inexplicable. I like Southgate as a man, he is principled and talks well, however, with this group of players I think we need a much more attacking style which I don't think Southgate will employ. For that reason I believe its likely we'll be out at the last 16 stage.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Oldamber55 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:43 am

Fair point about Kane ... but he’s a luxury player isn’t he ... as for Foden I totally agree another strange substitution by Southgate ... but we needed a leader on the pitch ....Henderson maybe ... but it’s never easy watching England in fact it’s hard work.
Oldamber55
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:32 am

Oldamber55 wrote:Fair point about Kane ... but he’s a luxury player isn’t he ... as for Foden I totally agree another strange substitution by Southgate ... but we needed a leader on the pitch ....Henderson maybe ... but it’s never easy watching England in fact it’s hard work.

Kane a luxury player? Come off it... best striker we've had in years. Yes he's been off the pace in the two games we've played but he's never been a luxury player.

It didn't help playing two holding midfielders against Scotland
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Oldamber55 wrote:Fair point about Kane ... but he’s a luxury player isn’t he ... as for Foden I totally agree another strange substitution by Southgate ... but we needed a leader on the pitch ....Henderson maybe ... but it’s never easy watching England in fact it’s hard work.

Kane a luxury player? Come off it... best striker we've had in years. Yes he's been off the pace in the two games we've played but he's never been a luxury player.

We're you surprised? He's always been lambasted for his negative approach.

If we only make the last sixteen then go out he should be sacked straight away and the job given to someone more dynamic.
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:39 am

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

If we only make the last sixteen then go out he should be sacked straight away and the job given to someone more dynamic.

Unless we get to the semis I could see him going.

A bit of perspective though, if someone told me before the euros we'd have 4 points from two games I would've taken it. You wouldve assumed the results would be a win against Scotland and a draw against Croatia though :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:43 am

Eh ? Luxury player ? Are you unwell ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:46 am

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Who?
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:52 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:

I wouldn't really count Philips as a holding midfielder, he was superb against Croatia and offered a great deal going forward, if he was asked to play that role against Scotland then that's the managers fault.
As of Kane we don't have anybody whose better when on form.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:28 pm

I don’t know why everyone gets so excited about England and so upset when they under perform.

We’ve been off the pace for a while and the warm up games were hardly inspiring so we shouldn’t expect to suddenly start playing exciting attacking football sweeping all teams aside. The style is slow and methodical which is ok against average teams but will not live against dynamic truly skilful sides. It only takes a couple of players to be off form for us to fail to win even against poor but organised teams. It will be so until we start using our pace properly instead of passing sideways and backwards.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum