{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

New signing - Elliott Hewitt

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: New signing - Elliott Hewitt

Postby Spiritater » Thu May 20, 2021 6:45 am

The general consensus on t'Fishy was he had a Eureka moment when switched to CB, the rest of his time was a bit meh.

All that said let's hope he stays on the upward trend of form. If he makes one less rash decision than Sweens it's an improvement.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu May 20, 2021 6:54 am

Solid league 2 player. He's 26 and signed a 2 year deal, he is now approaching his "better years" as a player, well in general everybody is different.

He's experienced enough (282 appearances as a pro, according to Wikipedia) knows the league so I'm not blown away by the signing but certainly looks solid. Besides it doesn't really matter who he's played for before or how that season went. He's not played for us before and he's not played for Clough before so Nigel could be the catalyst that gets this lad on his top game.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Thu May 20, 2021 7:15 am

Good Luck to the lad. Everybody should give him a fair chance and trust Nigel’s judgment
Welcome aboard Elliott
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby PaulG » Thu May 20, 2021 8:55 am

I'd be amazed if he isn't one of the eight targets. Given the restriction on squad sizes, we'd presumably have to drop one of the eight to make room for him which, this early in the transfer window, seems unlikely. And we've been told often enough by those on here who know more about Nigel Clough than we do, that we shouldn't expect players with big reputations; everyone's a squad player. So each individual we sign may seem "underwhelming" (what a patronising word that is, by the way), but, together, they'll form a winning team.
PaulG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu May 20, 2021 9:08 am

I'd agree, I think he will have been one of the eight. A utility player who can cover multiple positions in a similar way to Stephen McLaughlin.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Thu May 20, 2021 9:11 am

We don't need stars on £4k a week, we need players who know their job and do it.

Remember when we were promoted to the old Second Division, lots of good players, no STARS, very professional and a TEAM.

That's what we want next season.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby AlanStag » Thu May 20, 2021 9:36 am

Agree oldwestander, think some people need a reality check. We've finished in the bottom half 2 seasons in a row signing players who look good on paper but consistently let us down over the course of a season.

Hewitt played 43 games for Notts County in their play off season but everyone focuses on the relegations. He's played a lot of games so even being part of bad sides the managers have trusted him to play when trying to get results.

If you rewind to last summer our first signing was Jordan Bowery, most were underwhelmed and buzzing when we re-signed Maynard. Just look which was the better signing come the end of the season.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Thu May 20, 2021 9:47 am

Sounds a bit like Perch

Average in CM, okay at Right back, very good at centre back.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Thu May 20, 2021 10:29 am

HitchcocksShins wrote:Fun fact: Hollywood actress Jennifer Love Hewitt is his aunty

rumour is he called also be related to royalty
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Thu May 20, 2021 3:02 pm

Well 7 more to go then 2 relegations on his c-v , age 26 already used to Menayese and playing when the chips are down, we can all be assured this is another piece of the jig-saw .
Grimsby fans rate him as a centre half, so we now have , Hewitt, Rawson, Menayese, Perch, certainly a start and only May 20th. Second guessing Clough is a waste of time, all we can say is this player is in his plans, , and when he puts on the stags shirt, he becomes a stag.
Most of clough signings are below the radar and go on to be legends, Buxton is one from non-league to the Championship, So he became non=league Nigel.
And the flak he got from forest fans, and some Derby fans, but has always who is laughing now, he played 139 games in the championship, scoring 11 goals, he was there 7 years and became club captain and a legend at the club.. We always go back to the word TEAM no i in it.
Welcome to the squad
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Thu May 20, 2021 5:22 pm

Where are the stat men on this?
Pass rate clearances etc..

Please don't give me a Twitter link, it's like waiting for an ink jet colour photo to come out the printer :D
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu May 20, 2021 5:51 pm

chip63 wrote:Where are the stat men on this?
Pass rate clearances etc..

Please don't give me a Twitter link, it's like waiting for an ink jet colour photo to come out the printer :D

Nothing to write home about. His pass percentage is under 60% but given he was playing in a very direct Grimsby side that is hardly surprising.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Thu May 20, 2021 6:45 pm

Bowery was meant to be rubbish based on past stats. Clough gets the best out of players for his system, so I'm sure this lad will be just fine.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Thu May 20, 2021 6:52 pm

ParisStag wrote:Bowery was meant to be rubbish based on past stats. Clough gets the best out of players for his system, so I'm sure this lad will be just fine.

Yes he is going to have some of the best players he as ever played with around him which will build is confidence sky high hopefully :D Elliott we are behind you and best of luck for the new season at MTFC :D
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Thu May 20, 2021 7:09 pm

marksay wrote:My mate is a life long cod head . He is solid with another more experienced centre back . However he can lose his way .

For me he is a squad player see what business comes again otherwise the fan base will be deflated

Enough about your mate from Grimsby now tell us what he thinks of Hewitt
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Thu May 20, 2021 7:29 pm

Was interesting what Clough said regards having 17/18 outfield players and Hewitt covers the defence and is going to be hard to leave out once he gets his chance in any of the positions, to me that sounds like he's a substitute who is going to keep a few players on their toes.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Thu May 20, 2021 7:34 pm

ParisStag wrote:Bowery was meant to be rubbish based on past stats. Clough gets the best out of players for his system, so I'm sure this lad will be just fine.

He still is rubbish
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu May 20, 2021 7:51 pm

Parkinsons Perm wrote:

He still is rubbish

Not as rubbish as Kane Hemmings though, eh? ;)
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Thu May 20, 2021 7:54 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:

He still is rubbish

Yawwwwwwwnn, are you Spiritators son?
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Thu May 20, 2021 8:07 pm

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:

He still is rubbish

Are you Normans son ;)
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu May 20, 2021 8:14 pm

you gotta just love this time of year on ere lol
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Thu May 20, 2021 8:14 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:

He still is rubbish

Are you Normans son ;)

Funnily enough and aptly my dad was called Norman :lol:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Thu May 20, 2021 9:51 pm

Would say solid rather unexpected type of signing and agree not blown away by him but in Clough we trust so all good with me
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat May 22, 2021 7:17 pm

Just had an interesting chat with a Pies fan, first thing he had was Hewitt has a really powerful long throw, didn’t know that!
maybe that’s why he snapped him up
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sat May 22, 2021 7:37 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:Just had an interesting chat with a Pies fan, first thing he had was Hewitt has a really powerful long throw, didn’t know that!
maybe that’s why he snapped him up

Bingo! A long throw seems to be a lot more dangerous than corners or free kicks in our league.
Hope it's true, though Sinclair isn't bad at them.
chip63
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum