{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Tommy Naylor

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Tommy Naylor

Postby calvostag38 » Wed May 19, 2021 7:42 am

I am not doubting Tommy Naylor's ability, great, hard working footballer, scores goals and leads with conviction. I personally think it would be a great signing, just what we need in possibly the best midfield in this division. My only concern is the bad press he gets from quite a large chunk of stags supporters, especially the vocal section and an awful lot of the travelling faithful, this is fact, I speak from experience.
He is regarded as an arrogant person who didn't love this club, and couldn't wait to get away, again, not my views. I fear that he will be booed and derided by a good few Stags fans, they are pretty unforgiving, especially when someone disses their club. I think he will have to do the press conference of his life to win the faithful over.... hope he does, would be a sensational acquisition. :coys:
calvostag38
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Tommy Naylor

Postby bellwhiff » Wed May 19, 2021 9:43 am

DCFC. He’s going to have to go a long way to recover from that if he signs.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Wed May 19, 2021 11:10 am

In what context was the 'DCFC' used ? Was it in response to people having a dig at him by any chance ? Is banter only allowed one way ?
He was an excited young footballer who had just managed to gain a move to a local Championship team and his career was on the up.
If people are going to hold that against him 10 years later and potentially unsettle a quality player after he has signed for us then are they really supporters of the club ?
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed May 19, 2021 12:58 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:In what context was the 'DCFC' used ? Was it in response to people having a dig at him by any chance ? Is banter only allowed one way ?
He was an excited young footballer who had just managed to gain a move to a local Championship team and his career was on the up.
If people are going to hold that against him 10 years later and potentially unsettle a quality player after he has signed for us then are they really supporters of the club ?

Quality. Reads my post them diametrically opposes it no matter what.

Ask Steve H about his exit.

And who would unsettle him if he came back ? That attitude is just counterproductive.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed May 19, 2021 1:07 pm

Eff me, dry your eyes. Footballers are professionals. They have a short window to earn what they can.

If Tom Naylor signs for us it'd be amazing. The likes of Paul Cox and Adam Murray who were leading the club back then probably encouraged him to trial at Fulham and sign for Derby. He was clearly at a better standard than MTFC, even as a 19 year old.

He doesn't need to flatter me or the club if he signs. If he just does what he does and let's performances do the talking, to silence these fictional vocal critics, that'll do.

As an aside, the less we hear from Steve hymas, the better.
Last edited by arsene wengers coat on Wed May 19, 2021 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed May 19, 2021 1:10 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Eff me, dry your eyes. Footballers are professionals. They have a short window to earn what they can.

If Tom Naylor signs for us it'd be amazing. The likes of Paul Cox and Adam Murray who were leading the club back then probably encouraged him to trial at Fulham and sign for Derby. He was clearly at a better standard than MTFC, even as a 19 year old.

He doesn't need to flatter me or the club if he signs. If he just does what he does and let's performances do the talking, to silence these fictional vocal critics, that'll do.

Haha. Just clear that some have different values on loyalty. There’s way to leave a club and if you think Ginger Judas did it the right way then that says a lot about you. No respect was shown for the club or people like Steve H. But yeah, just forget it because he’s half decent.

Laughable.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed May 19, 2021 1:17 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:Eff me, dry your eyes. Footballers are professionals. They have a short window to earn what they can.

Haha. Just clear that some have different values on loyalty. There’s way to leave a club and if you think Ginger Judas did it the right way then that says a lot about you. No respect was shown for the club or people like Steve H. But yeah, just forget it because he’s half decent.

Laughable.

Get over it. Steve H hardly a shining beacon of how to behave either is he.

He probably won't sign anyway and you can sit there glorifying yourself in your own righteous indignation because a lad said 'DCFC'.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Wed May 19, 2021 1:19 pm

Can’t say I’d be bothered about what had gone on before. It was nearly 10 years ago and he was just a young lad probably getting carried away who wanted a move to a much bigger club. Water under the bridge.

All I’d care about is him giving his all on the pitch if he did return because if that was the case we’d have a very good player on our hands at this level.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed May 19, 2021 1:43 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

Laughable.

He probably won't sign anyway and you can sit there glorifying yourself in your own righteous indignation because a lad said 'DCFC'.

I couldn’t give a toss either way whether he signs or not.

As for comparing him with Steve H, well one of them might have cocked a few things up, one of them loves the club. One doesn’t.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed May 19, 2021 1:55 pm

Every single Stags Fans Forum from time immemorial: When are the youth team players going to be given a chance? When are we going to see some young local lads coming through? We'd all love to see some young local lads in the team and sing "He's one of our own!"

Young local lad comes through into the first team and does brilliantly and is signed by Derby County. Some stupid fans give him stick on social media for moving from a Conference club to The Championship which everyone of them would have done if they had been in his shoes. He's a young immature lad so he reacts by typing "DCFC". Grown men start foaming at the mouth and screaming like Violet Elizabeth. "Judas!" "Traitor!"

The crazy irrational world of football fans. :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed May 19, 2021 2:14 pm

Tom Naylor signing for Mansfield is unlikely, one his normal game is midfield and two this is our strongest position, Clough has played him at centre half, but with Perch, Rawson and Menayese already at the club a defensive signing i would think would be a experienced player in that central position.
I did hear a rumour that he returned from the summer break overweight, and that got Cloughs back up, but when Clough returned to Burton , Naylor was there and they got on well and then Portsmouth came calling, and Clough gets used to losing his players to clubs with more financial clout, but it must hurt when they are in the same league.
Having had 5 loans while at Derby, Tom Naylor is not the young player who was at Mansfield town in 2012
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Wed May 19, 2021 2:18 pm

Some people like Tom, say stupid raspberries when they are young.

Other people spend a lifetime doing it.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Wed May 19, 2021 2:58 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

Laughable.

I couldn’t give a toss either way whether he signs or not.

As for comparing him with Steve H, well one of them might have cocked a few things up, one of them loves the club. One doesn’t.

He's not going to orange you
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed May 19, 2021 3:02 pm

Sneag wrote:Some people like Tom, say stupid raspberries when they are young.

Other people spend a lifetime doing it.

Don't know who you mean :lol: It was wrong what he did but it really is time to move on, it was almost a decade ago!

He'd be a great signing, my only concern is that he has played most of his career in midfield, our strongest area.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed May 19, 2021 5:18 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:In what context was the 'DCFC' used ? Was it in response to people having a dig at him by any chance ? Is banter only allowed one way ?

Quality. Reads my post them diametrically opposes it no matter what.

Ask Steve H about his exit.

And who would unsettle him if he came back ? That attitude is just counterproductive.

Oh boo hoo a footballer left to play at a higher level.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed May 19, 2021 5:19 pm

Sounds like most of us have moved on from 10 years ago.

Most ;)
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed May 19, 2021 5:22 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:Sounds like most of us have moved on from 10 years ago.

Most ;)

Like I said, if you’d be bothered to read as opposed to what you think is put, I’d have no objections if he came back.

Sneag’s point is correct. Only issue is that he thinks it doesn’t apply to him.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Grendon Stag » Wed May 19, 2021 6:03 pm

calvostag38 wrote:I am not doubting Tommy Naylor's ability, great, hard working footballer, scores goals and leads with conviction. I personally think it would be a great signing, just what we need in possibly the best midfield in this division. My only concern is the bad press he gets from quite a large chunk of stags supporters, especially the vocal section and an awful lot of the travelling faithful, this is fact, I speak from experience.
He is regarded as an arrogant person who didn't love this club, and couldn't wait to get away, again, not my views. I fear that he will be booed and derided by a good few Stags fans, they are pretty unforgiving, especially when someone disses their club. I think he will have to do the press conference of his life to win the faithful over.... hope he does, would be a sensational acquisition. :coys:

He's the least arrogant person you could wish to meet. I've known him from being a 9 year old and was part of the management at Blidworth U16's the season he signed for Mansfield. He's a lovely lad.
Last edited by Grendon Stag on Wed May 19, 2021 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grendon Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Wed May 19, 2021 6:07 pm

bellwhiff wrote:

Most ;)

Like I said, if you’d be bothered to read as opposed to what you think is put, I’d have no objections if he came back.

Guess you would need to go to a match for it to bother you. ;)
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Wed May 19, 2021 6:24 pm

bellwhiff wrote:

Most ;)

Sneag’s point is correct. Only issue is that he thinks it doesn’t apply to him.

I'm always correct. ;)
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Wed May 19, 2021 6:47 pm

Tom Naylor IN, Ollie Clarke OUT :wink: :-D
Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed May 19, 2021 7:08 pm

KirkbyStag2 wrote:Tom Naylor IN, Ollie Clarke OUT :wink: :-D

Ollie Clarke is going nowhere, he’s buying a house in the area.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed May 19, 2021 7:11 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

I certainly wouldn't get rid of Clarke. We'd be mad to!

If we were to lose a midfielder, I'd probably loan out or sell Charsley but I think he's still a good squad player.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Wed May 19, 2021 7:20 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

Clarke over rated, with Stech, the 2 most disappointing signings last season.

Be very surprised if he's still captain next season.
Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed May 19, 2021 7:27 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

How do you know that Sam?
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum