{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Expectation for next season

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Expectation for next season

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sun May 09, 2021 7:05 am

Rob wrote:We sacked a manager for finishing 4th, so really unless JR has learned a valuable lesson, then top 3 or it's off with yet another managers head.

As for my own view, then I think top 7 is realistic, mid table would be disappointing but acceptable, bottom 6 then a quick call to the Potteries to see what Dave is up to ;)

I'd imagine Sharpe moved mountain & earth to get Clough here, so hoping everyone realises what a calamitous decision it would be fire Cloughie if we don't reach lofty expectations levels

Lose Nigel & chances are we'll be a bottom-half club again
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Oldamber55 » Sun May 09, 2021 7:22 am

I’m just hoping for a better season than this one... being able to get into the ground shout,moan,& give our Nigel a warm
Welcome to the one call
For me I think we’ll be in the mix or there about’s
Last edited by Oldamber55 on Sun May 09, 2021 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oldamber55
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Spiritater » Sun May 09, 2021 7:26 am

yorkshire stag wrote:survival or glory

Fixed that for you mate. Never want the death of NL again.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun May 09, 2021 7:35 am

Some of the performances under Clough have been nothing short of totally dominant. Prior to his arrival, I can’t remember many games where we have looked like winning by more than the odd goal and even fewer when the opposition obviously thought the same.

The fact that we haven’t won at a canter in more games is down to the lack of a genuinely talented goal scorer at our level. If Clough can secure someone to put the ball in the net on a regular basis, I am confident of reaching the playoffs. If luck goes our way automatic promotion could be achieved.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun May 09, 2021 7:40 am

gazza1988 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:Top 10 would be nice. As always the expectation is improvement. That's all just an improvement

Form since he took over is certainly top half. Someone said earlier it's 67 points, I think, which is 10th this season so yeah top 10.

Surely that wouldn’t be an improvement then? :lol: Top 9 for an improvement :D

It's where you finish that counts. We finished 21st under Dempster/Coughlan, then 16th under Coughlan/Clough. Its an improvement

Same as 21st-12th-8th-4th that was achieved over 4 managers, it's improving year on year despite chopping and changing managers. The difference being 3 of those 4 were experienced managers with promotion(s) on their cv. We have currently gone 21st-16th over 3 managers but only 1 has had promotions on their cv.

We've had 7 managers over the last 6 seasons. That has to stop. How can any manager meet our expectations of he's barely here for a season. Only one of those managers "jumped" 5 were "pushed".

Expecting instant success has got us nowhere.

Of course I was playing devils advocate a little, and the table says we finished 16th, but this team is clearly not the same one which took 7pts from the first 33 available. If we finished 14th next seasons, I don’t think many would consider it a success, including Clough, despite it being an improvement on this seasons final position.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Aspleystag » Sun May 09, 2021 7:51 am

I think we need to give NC plenty of time, there are a lot of good youth players coming along who will take a couple of seasons to cement themselves in the team, so promotion next year would be nice building a stronger team to be able to stay in League One for a few years would be better, and also to be able to fund the future with players we can sell on.
Aspleystag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun May 09, 2021 9:00 am

I always look to how teams finish a season. It’s not a bad guide to the coming season. Leicester nearly got relegated the season before their title win, but went a fantastic run and survived., then carried that form into the new season. It happens a lot.
With Clough in charge and witnessing the last few months and with some decent new players I’d be aiming for top 7. There’s a gnats ball sack between a good team in this league and a poor one. I think Nigel will actually be looking at top 3 though!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Sun May 09, 2021 9:25 am

Nigel would get this squad top 10 without any additions. So backing again from JR we should be at least play offs. If we add real quality in key areas then top 3. That doesn't mean 10 pts clear by Christmas just in the pack then hopefully as Bolton have shown proper quality in depth will see a good run after Xmas when others are struggling a bit.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun May 09, 2021 10:00 am

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
Rob wrote:We sacked a manager for finishing 4th, so really unless JR has learned a valuable lesson, then top 3 or it's off with yet another managers head.

As for my own view, then I think top 7 is realistic, mid table would be disappointing but acceptable, bottom 6 then a quick call to the Potteries to see what Dave is up to ;)

I'd imagine Sharpe moved mountain & earth to get Clough here, so hoping everyone realises what a calamitous decision it would be fire Cloughie if we don't reach lofty expectations levels

Lose Nigel & chances are we'll be a bottom-half club again

Yes I was being facetious :D I think Clough has done a superb job already and I think we look a good side apart from the obvious problems up front and a decent keeper. He'll also want to strengthen our defence but I think Rawson, Perch and Sweeney (if he stays) are all good enough to feature in a top 7 side. I cannot imagine us being anywhere near the bottom next season and given what we have seen I really do think top 7 is very realistic.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Sun May 09, 2021 10:42 am

Depends on the transfer work over the summer. We’ve got targets but we’ve got to land them. I know Holloway said at Grimsby that his greatest issue was getting the players he wanted to sign and left him with young players or panic buys. I don’t think we’ll get to that stage but until they are in the door you don’t know.

I think we’ll be aiming for top 3, but the words out of the club will be let’s improve from last year and be in the mix come April-May.

Looking at how this season has gone for a lot of clubs being too half and thereabouts will be good enough for me, having that hope going into the final 5 games would be the target.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun May 09, 2021 11:49 am

Where do we start 8 new signings, im afraid some will already be here, Clarke, Quin, Pardington, Ward. so i would expect 5 .
Clough has stated he has a healthy budget for this league, now this is new to Clough he is used to small budgets against much bigger clubs.
Clough starting with a even playing field, this is new
The ground being sorted is massive, having 6 months to relay his message and ground rules, and a pre - season before the next season gives confidence going into 2021/22.
Mansfield Town will be a club to beat, and teams will reflect that, do their home work, and try to stop us playing especially on our own patch.
Thats were the pitch will help our ball players,
My expectations top 7, from the teams coming down Bristol Rovers under Joey Barton will be competitive
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sun May 09, 2021 11:53 am

We are nearly there, we are up there stats wise with the amount of shots we have and chances created, just fine tuning that defence and strikeforce.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby robbingdog » Sun May 09, 2021 12:56 pm

As long we are in the top 1 I’ll be happy
robbingdog
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Arnolds Rod » Sun May 09, 2021 1:17 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:I always look to how teams finish a season. It’s not a bad guide to the coming season. Leicester nearly got relegated the season before their title win, but went a fantastic run and survived., then carried that form into the new season. It happens a lot.
With Clough in charge and witnessing the last few months and with some decent new players I’d be aiming for top 7. There’s a gnats ball sack between a good team in this league and a poor one. I think Nigel will actually be looking at top 3 though!!!

I agree. Port Vale were an in form team and we've just brushed them aside. Clough said that Port Vale will be up there next season. I expect Salford to get automatic. Looking at current form, Scunny and Barrow will be among the dead men. It will be raspberries or bust for Bristol Rovers with their answer to Jordan Peterson running their team. Swindon and Rochdale mid-table.
Arnolds Rod
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Captain Cunno » Sun May 09, 2021 2:58 pm

If NC gets the players he wants then Play Offs are the minimum I'd say.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun May 09, 2021 3:00 pm

I fully expect a top three finish. It’s not a demand, but a solid expectation based on his ability to attract decent players, his ability to motivate and organise and the backing of the owners.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun May 09, 2021 3:49 pm

Arnolds Rod wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:I always look to how teams finish a season. It’s not a bad guide to the coming season. Leicester nearly got relegated the season before their title win, but went a fantastic run and survived., then carried that form into the new season. It happens a lot.

I agree. Port Vale were an in form team and we've just brushed them aside. Clough said that Port Vale will be up there next season. I expect Salford to get automatic. Looking at current form, Scunny and Barrow will be among the dead men. It will be raspberries or bust for Bristol Rovers with their answer to Jordan Peterson running their team. Swindon and Rochdale mid-table.

Swindon could be another Southend, they were in some deep finacial clarts.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sun May 09, 2021 10:33 pm

Reasons to believe we can finally get out of this league..

- Clough knows what he's doing.
- This squad isn't far off. If it wasn't for weather and pitch problems, we'd have shot up the league.
- We've ended the season well. Always a good sign.
- We have a fantastic recruitment team to make those tweaks.
- The club finally has football people making the big decisions.
- Tyrese Sinclair.
- The feel good factor when our fans can finally back Cloughie and this very likeable squad is going to be huge.

I'm not usually one to say we'll go up, but I think we really do have a lot going for us next season provided we can land some of Clough's targets. Devante Cole would be nice.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun May 09, 2021 10:38 pm

ParisStag wrote: We have a fantastic recruitment team to make those tweaks.

I think it's a bit too early to arrive at that conclusion. Stephen Quinn is a good start. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bux46 » Mon May 10, 2021 9:33 am

Whoever we do or don't get there is one thing that should be top of the list, we need the singing section to come up with a NIGEL song so we can give him a great welcome to the Mill. We have a diamond and we should really look after it.....
bux46
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bear 73 » Mon May 10, 2021 10:13 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
ParisStag wrote: We have a fantastic recruitment team to make those tweaks.

I think it's a bit too early to arrive at that conclusion. Stephen Quinn is a good start. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating.

Working to a budget I know we have a good recruitment team, look at his signings, ,
Derby, Sheff utd, Burton, 9 went on to become international players, others were sold for millions,
Having had six and a half years in the championship, the most he payed for a player 1-2 million for Richard Keogh, , He went on to gain 26 international caps, and made 356 appearances for the club over 8 seasons. This is just one player of far to many to mention, who has been guided to a prominent career in the game, and a benefit to the club.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Mon May 10, 2021 10:40 am

Top 10 & anything more is a bonus . Patience is the key
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby BoughtonStag71 » Mon May 10, 2021 11:08 am

Probably be somewhere between 1st and 24th.
BoughtonStag71
First Team
First Team

Postby Dan » Mon May 10, 2021 7:06 pm

With all the ingredients mentioned above plus a new pitch I can see us in the top three no problem.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Gruff » Mon May 10, 2021 7:14 pm

Amberheart wrote:Top 10 & anything more is a bonus . Patience is the key

That'll do me ....
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum