{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

It was 10 years ago today that......

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: It was 10 years ago today that......

Postby Torrystag » Sat May 08, 2021 4:52 pm

Big yella wrote:Hampden:- Great area for pre/post match, parts of the ground to far away for the spectator.

Wembley:- Great view from anywhere in the ground, hate London full stop.

Principality:- Great view from anywhere and great for a pint before and after the game. So probably my favourite, even if it is in 'chip on their shoulder' Wales. ;) :lol:

I remember the play off final ,loads of breakfast ,then loads of booze brilliant day ,we lost but it gets my vote
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby HitchcocksShins » Sat May 08, 2021 5:11 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
Torrystag wrote:New wembley is soulless it was better before ,im sure they could have done something without destroying it ,give me the millenium stadium any day city centre location ,loads of bars and eateries within walking distance

Wembley is quality when it's full.

Depends on the game, I watched Man U/ Chelsea Charity shield game, atmosphere was dead. Give me a quarter full Ricoh arena with a sold out away end any day of the week
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat May 08, 2021 5:36 pm

HitchcocksShins wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
Torrystag wrote:New wembley is soulless it was better before ,im sure they could have done something without destroying it ,give me the millenium stadium any day city centre location ,loads of bars and eateries within walking distance

Wembley is quality when it's full.

Depends on the game, I watched Man U/ Chelsea Charity shield game, atmosphere was dead. Give me a quarter full Ricoh arena with a sold out away end any day of the week

I went to the England game when we sang La Marseillaise after the Paris terrorist attack in 2015, the atmosphere was spine tingling. For me it's clearly the best stadium but I think is marred by the ridiculous prices and the building sites that surround it.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sat May 08, 2021 6:24 pm

The stadium is great it's the area that it's in that is poor.
We stayed in Wembley for the weekend when we played Brentford away a few years ago, the whole area is rundown and nightlife was non existent, I blame Paul Nyland for booking the digs but it was a great weekend football wise.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby groundhoppingstag » Sat May 08, 2021 7:07 pm

I went to the England game when we sang La Marseillaise after the Paris terrorist attack in 2015, the atmosphere was spine tingling. For me it's clearly the best stadium but I think is marred by the ridiculous prices and the building sites that surround it.

Also at that compassionate night game, where the empathy flowed for unique humanitarian circumstances.
groundhoppingstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Dan » Sun May 09, 2021 1:11 am

chip63 wrote:The stadium is great it's the area that it's in that is poor.
We stayed in Wembley for the weekend when we played Brentford away a few years ago, the whole area is rundown and nightlife was non existent, I blame Paul Nyland for booking the digs but it was a great weekend football wise.

The area has been improved massively recently. You wouldn’t recognise it now. They’ve just finished new steps on Wembley way too.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun May 09, 2021 6:58 am

Swept that season under the carpet years ago.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun May 09, 2021 10:09 am

Dan wrote:

The area has been improved massively recently. You wouldn’t recognise it now. They’ve just finished new steps on Wembley way too.

I've not been for a couple of years, has most of the building work in the surrounding area finished now?
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun May 09, 2021 10:26 pm

Rob wrote:
Dan wrote:

I've not been for a couple of years, has most of the building work in the surrounding area finished now?

Not yet mate plus they’re working on the exterior of Wembley too with new steps and more lifts.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby old ram stag » Mon May 10, 2021 7:03 am

Being in the England travel club for 25 years I've visited many stadiums around the world, but I'm always very proud we have Wembley, it has a special feeling and history about it and other nations love to visit and play there, we do tend to belittle what we have, there's very few nations that have a flagship national stadium as we do.
old ram stag
Manager
Manager

Wembley FA Trophy final memories from 10 years ago

Postby Chadman » Thu May 13, 2021 3:19 pm

This week saw the 10th anniversary of that FA Trophy final which proved to be a fantastic day out but awful game of football and result to forget for Stags. So many injuries Mansfied could not even fill the bench and then getting done so late made it all hurt so much more.

To mark the anniversary here are a selection of our best pictures of some of the 15,000 army of Mansfield fans and the match itself.

https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/p ... gs-3235825
Chadman
First Team
First Team

Re: Wembley FA Trophy final memories from 10 years ago

Postby Spiritater » Thu May 13, 2021 9:41 pm

Life's too short John, one click and it's :yahoo: :yahoo: AD TIME :yahoo: :yahoo: so no thanks.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Thu May 13, 2021 10:32 pm

Spiritater wrote:Life's too short John, one click and it's :yahoo: :yahoo: AD TIME :yahoo: :yahoo: so no thanks.

Same 100 ads per article, never use it.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Fri May 14, 2021 7:23 am

Why anyone would want to remember that, I don't know.

Worst game and day out ever.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Field Mill » Fri May 14, 2021 6:47 pm

I didn't go. No interest at all. My lad was playing in a youth Cup final. I went to that instead and have never regretted it even though we got done five nil by a team managed by Simon Ward, Keatons dad. Always saw the Trophy as a competition for clubs further down the pyramid which it used to be and should be now. The analogy I'd always use is would you have been happy in the Conference days if we'd have had 3 years finishing mid table but winning the FA Trophy each year? My case my friends, is rested...
Field Mill
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby ParisStag » Fri May 14, 2021 7:12 pm

Field Mill wrote:I didn't go. No interest at all. My lad was playing in a youth Cup final. I went to that instead and have never regretted it even though we got done five nil by a team managed by Simon Ward, Keatons dad. Always saw the Trophy as a competition for clubs further down the pyramid which it used to be and should be now. The analogy I'd always use is would you have been happy in the Conference days if we'd have had 3 years finishing mid table but winning the FA Trophy each year? My case my friends, is rested...

Yes, but a Wembley outing is a Wembley outing. For those of us too young to remember 87, it was the first (and still the only) time.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Curry 9 Brace 7 » Fri May 14, 2021 7:57 pm

Like many times in the past. A good day out spoilt by the 90 minutes football, :lol:
Curry 9 Brace 7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Curry 9 Brace 7 » Fri May 14, 2021 7:58 pm

I just remember Junior Mendez wasnt allowed to play?
Curry 9 Brace 7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby part time pete » Fri May 14, 2021 8:27 pm

Curry 9 Brace 7 wrote:I just remember Junior Mendez wasnt allowed to play?

I think you mean Luke Medley. He was out on loan when the semi final was played so a normal FA rule is that a player who is not registered when you play in Semi Final then you can’t play in the final.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum