{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Eight new faces on Clough summer shopping list

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Eight new faces on Clough summer shopping list

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:41 pm

ian23 wrote:New deal for macca, on website now

Oh god I've got to update it again :lol:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:52 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
ian23 wrote:New deal for macca, on website now

Oh god I've got to update it again :lol:

Keep up man!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat May 01, 2021 7:10 am

gazza1988 wrote:
Spiritater wrote:Thing about age is there comes a point where your body is unable to compete at the level required. The mind is willing but the body loses that half a yard of pace. We saw it all with Bish in his second season. When that point comes makes it a slight gamble with all mid thirties players when taking them on. If Quinn and Perch remain at their present fitness levels we have two quality players.

I disagree regarding Bish. What I saw was our ridiculously poor pre season gave the whole side a poor "base" fitness which saw them all struggle. We'd ran out of stem by the time Dempster was sacked. We saw it in the challenges that got us into poor disciplinary.

His age factored into it where people saw it as his legs have gone when really it could have just been the poor pre season that affected everybody.

We'll agree to disagree then. If the pre season under Dempster was poor then it was non existent under the clown that followed him.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat May 01, 2021 4:11 pm

Spiritater wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
Spiritater wrote:Thing about age is there comes a point where your body is unable to compete at the level required. The mind is willing but the body loses that half a yard of pace. We saw it all with Bish in his second season. When that point comes makes it a slight gamble with all mid thirties players when taking them on. If Quinn and Perch remain at their present fitness levels we have two quality players.

I disagree regarding Bish. What I saw was our ridiculously poor pre season gave the whole side a poor "base" fitness which saw them all struggle. We'd ran out of stem by the time Dempster was sacked. We saw it in the challenges that got us into poor disciplinary.

His age factored into it where people saw it as his legs have gone when really it could have just been the poor pre season that affected everybody.

We'll agree to disagree then. If the pre season under Dempster was poor then it was non existent under the clown that followed him.

To be fair. Coughlan's pre season was cut short by the cup game we had to fit in before the league started. We haven't, in my opinion, looked particularly "unfit" after a few months like Dempsters did. Our issue is lack of squad depth means players are having to play more minutes when they could do with a rest.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat May 01, 2021 5:00 pm

Clough seemed to confirm in his post match that there won’t be any further players signing new deals.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat May 01, 2021 6:14 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Clough seemed to confirm in his post match that there won’t be any further players signing new deals.

That was my interpretation of it too.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat May 01, 2021 6:26 pm

I think the only player who could sign a new deal is Ryan Sweeney.

I think all the rest are under contract apart from the likes of Jamie Clarke, Jake Wright and Joe Riley.

Looks like Marek Stech and Corey O'Keeffe will be transfer listed.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sat May 01, 2021 6:32 pm

I’ve said it for weeks now but Sweeney will be leaving.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat May 01, 2021 7:14 pm

So ...who are the 8 players we are trying to sign?

Stephen Quinn
Lucas Akins
John Brayford
Scott Tanser
Devante Cole

????
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat May 01, 2021 7:36 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:So ...who are the 8 players we are trying to sign?

Stephen Quinn
Lucas Akins
John Brayford
Scott Tanser
Devante Cole

????

I don’t think he is including Quinn as part of the eight.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby gregmtfc » Sat May 01, 2021 9:14 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:So ...who are the 8 players we are trying to sign?

Stephen Quinn
Lucas Akins
John Brayford
Scott Tanser
Devante Cole

????

Ye don’t think Quinn is included in the 8. But the other 4 big chance, brayford follows clough everywhere. Could he convince Mark McNulty to come? Had him at Sheff united. Not heard any rumours on anyone else
MTFC for life, always a yorkshire stag. COYS!!
gregmtfc
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby part time pete » Sat May 01, 2021 10:54 pm

Thought McNulty didn’t like the sight of the Bishop street advert hoardings.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Rob » Sun May 02, 2021 12:10 am

Did Luke Beckett ever play for Nige? It's a possibility.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun May 02, 2021 6:53 am

thought Quinn was quality yesterday
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun May 02, 2021 8:35 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I think the only player who could sign a new deal is Ryan Sweeney.

I think all the rest are under contract apart from the likes of Jamie Clarke, Jake Wright and Joe Riley.

Just looked at Sam's list at the start of the thread and I note nothing has been mentioned yet about Aidan Stone. I'd keep him as a cheap back up No 2 or No 3 keeper. He still has plenty of potential if he learns from his experience and mistakes.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sun May 02, 2021 8:42 am

We have the basis of a very good squad, the midfield is as good as it’s been for years, if we can just get these important signings right!

This seasons we have been terrible in both boxes and players haven’t learned from mistakes, 2 goalkeepers, 4 defenders, 2 strikers would do.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun May 02, 2021 6:44 pm

lifestags wrote:I’ve said it for weeks now but Sweeney will be leaving.

Up until yesterday I would’ve disagreed with you but I think that error yesterday was the final nail in his coffin.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Mon May 03, 2021 6:45 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I think the only player who could sign a new deal is Ryan Sweeney.

Just looked at Sam's list at the start of the thread and I note nothing has been mentioned yet about Aidan Stone. I'd keep him as a cheap back up No 2 or No 3 keeper. He still has plenty of potential if he learns from his experience and mistakes.

I doubt he's going to keep Stone if Stech wants to see out his contract option for nest season . We don't need 2 sub standard goalkeepers again . The 3rd keeper if any is more likely to be from the youth set up . Stech started poorly and Stone hasn't taken his chance by being any better .
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Mon May 03, 2021 9:29 am

Genuine question, when was the last time our centre midfield was this good? If we sign Quinn permanently we have so many good options!
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon May 03, 2021 12:21 pm

I think we still need more back up in midfield as Stephen Quinn is 35 and Ollie Clarke has run out of steam towards the end of the season. Harry Charsley has lost form and Stephen McLaughlin may be playing left back. We need cover for injuries as well.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon May 03, 2021 12:55 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I think we still need more back up in midfield as Stephen Quinn is 35 and Ollie Clarke has run out of steam towards the end of the season. Harry Charsley has lost form and Stephen McLaughlin may be playing left back. We need cover for injuries as well.

Don’t forget Clarke didn’t have a pre-season.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Mon May 03, 2021 1:01 pm

I think we’re ok personally, Maris, Quinn, Clarke, Lapslie, Law, Charsley, Sinclair can play CAM. Perch can play there too.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon May 03, 2021 1:15 pm

I still see Jason Law as a young player breaking into the team even though he is 22. I would count him and Tyrese as 2 of our 3 young lads who NC says he wants in the squad.

James Perch generally did not play well in midfield as he was far too deep. It was like having 4 centre halfs on the pitch. Perch is much better at right back and centre half.

I still think there is room for a couple more quality midfield players to back up Maris, Quinn, Clarke and Lapslie.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Mon May 03, 2021 1:27 pm

They might be young and be classed as squad players but they have both proven they can play and even improve the team.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Mon May 03, 2021 1:33 pm

McLaughlin also capable of filling in for Maris in that deeper role, or the Quinn role on the left. He had a few games in midfield not too long ago and looked OK. The fact McLaughlin is capable of filling in a few positions like that is why he’s been kept on.

Personally I’d loan out Charsley if we can and replace him with somebody who is more of a natural CM and can challenge for the first team more but it’s not something I’m expecting. At the minute Charsley probably represents a 7th choice CM for me behind Lapslie, Clarke, Maris, Quinn, McLaughlin & Law.

I expect us to sign better players than Charsley in the attacking areas as well so I’m not really sure where he will feature regularly. After a year of watching him I still couldn’t peg Charsley as an effective wide man in a front three or a strong enough CM.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum