{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Oldham scorefred sponsored by chance of another double.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Oldham scorefred sponsored by chance of another double.

Postby Conker » Sat May 01, 2021 5:59 pm

Can’t we blame both?

I go more towards Stone re the blame.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Sat May 01, 2021 6:59 pm

I’m just happy with the win ! :mtfc:
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Sat May 01, 2021 7:27 pm

That interview is a worry ..Clough actually rates Jamie Reid as a striker yet Reid unfortunately, apart from his work rate, which is not exceptional , seems to be lacking in vision , comprehension and basic skills...in my opinion Sinclair is already a far better player in every department and yet Clough has started Reid in preference all Season.
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat May 01, 2021 7:35 pm

diablo wrote:That interview is a worry ..Clough actually rates Jamie Reid as a striker yet Reid unfortunately, apart from his work rate, which is not exceptional , seems to be lacking in vision , comprehension and basic skills...in my opinion Sinclair is already a far better player in every department and yet Clough has started Reid in preference all Season.

He said he thought he played well today, which he did.

He also bemoaned the poor finishing and said that he was looking at strikers, plural.

Given it’s likely Reid will be here next season, he’s not going to slate him.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat May 01, 2021 7:37 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
diablo wrote:That interview is a worry ..Clough actually rates Jamie Reid as a striker yet Reid unfortunately, apart from his work rate, which is not exceptional , seems to be lacking in vision , comprehension and basic skills...in my opinion Sinclair is already a far better player in every department and yet Clough has started Reid in preference all Season.

He said he thought he played well today, which he did.

He also bemoaned the poor finishing and said that he was looking at strikers, plural.

Given it’s likely Reid will be here next season, he’s not going to slate him.

I am inclined to agree
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat May 01, 2021 7:50 pm

Jamie Reid played far better today than Conor McAleny who has scored 19 league goals and who I had forgotten was on the pitch until he was subbed. Funny old game.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat May 01, 2021 7:51 pm

Conker wrote:Can’t we blame both?

I think that Clough's frustration with Stone is the fact that he is mute when we need someone bellowing like Conrad Logan and he is still not clear on when to come and when not. If you look at the penalty and the goal today, Clough is clear that a better or more confident keeper would have got the ball in their hands
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sat May 01, 2021 7:53 pm

On a more positive note I thought Keaton Ward did well today.

I think the Oldham goal will have an impact for Stone and Sweeney. Not sure who was to blame but I just don’t get this shielding the ball back stuff ... stay safe and put your boot through it
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat May 01, 2021 7:53 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Jamie Reid played far better today than Conor McAleny who has scored 19 league goals and who I had forgotten was on the pitch until he was subbed. Funny old game.

If you watch Reid's showreel from last season and the ways in he has improved, there is clearly a footballer in there but there has been very little on view which would make you think of him in the front three.
The thing with Clough and his team is that they appear to build players' confidence and seem to get them firing on the pitch. I would trust Clough if he thinks Reid can make it but would be surprised if he is more than a 10 minute a game striker
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat May 01, 2021 7:54 pm

yorkstag wrote:On a more positive note I thought Keaton Ward did well today.

I think the Oldham goal will have an impact for Stone and Sweeney. Not sure who was to blame but I just don’t get this shielding the ball back stuff ... stay safe and put your boot through it

Clough said that what he had seen today had not changed his mind, but rather reinforced the decisions he had already made. That says to me that neither we’re getting a new deal anyway.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat May 01, 2021 8:00 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:

I think that Clough's frustration with Stone is the fact that he is mute when we need someone bellowing like Conrad Logan and he is still not clear on when to come and when not. If you look at the penalty and the goal today, Clough is clear that a better or more confident keeper would have got the ball in their hands

Penalty ?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat May 01, 2021 8:02 pm

Are we keeping Keaton Ward. I thought he's looked good.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby JimmyMac » Sat May 01, 2021 8:12 pm

Hope not :coys:
JimmyMac
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat May 01, 2021 8:29 pm

yorkstag wrote:On a more positive note I thought Keaton Ward did well today.

We shielded back to stone a few times in the game. Seems like a plan was to get stone to collect the ball and launch a counter attack. They are weak defensively, as we saw, so if they attack in numbers we can hit them on the break and expose their leaky defence. We got 4 goals so there is merit in it.

As others have said regarding communication and Conrad Logan, had logan been in goal he'd have drowned out Martin and Dean by shouting "away".
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat May 01, 2021 8:45 pm

Hmm, a bit of revisionism on Logan. I seem to remember a similar situation at home to Lincoln where he gave a penalty away.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat May 01, 2021 8:47 pm

The One wrote:

Penalty ?

Last week at Salford
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat May 01, 2021 8:52 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Hmm, a bit of revisionism on Logan. I seem to remember a similar situation at home to Lincoln where he gave a penalty away.

Are you saying that Logan didn't shout at other players?
Stone is silent most games whereas Logan was largely good at shouting at players to get to the ball when it was coming back to him. Getting to the ball within twenty minutes or catching the ball from corners were a different matter
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat May 01, 2021 9:39 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Hmm, a bit of revisionism on Logan. I seem to remember a similar situation at home to Lincoln where he gave a penalty away.

Are you saying that Logan didn't shout at other players?
Stone is silent most games whereas Logan was largely good at shouting at players to get to the ball when it was coming back to him. Getting to the ball within twenty minutes or catching the ball from corners were a different matter

No I’m not saying that, I’m saying even though he shouted it didn’t make any difference!

I’ve heard Stone shouting on plenty of the videos this season.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat May 01, 2021 10:01 pm

I haven't at key moments, he seems to me to fail to communicate sufficiently well with a quiet back four
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sat May 01, 2021 10:06 pm

Bit of a fall for Rochdale as one of our old Div 4 opponents for many years who were not really a much bigger club than us but have had a few good seasons at much higher level to their credit
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun May 02, 2021 12:17 am

tillydog123 wrote:Bit of a fall for Rochdale as one of our old Div 4 opponents for many years who were not really a much bigger club than us but have had a few good seasons at much higher level to their credit

We have generally always been a bigger club than them and I think they hold the record for the most seasons in the bottom division. Cracking club though and best chippy near ground in the league.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun May 02, 2021 7:16 am

Rob wrote:
tillydog123 wrote:Bit of a fall for Rochdale as one of our old Div 4 opponents for many years who were not really a much bigger club than us but have had a few good seasons at much higher level to their credit

We have generally always been a bigger club than them and I think they hold the record for the most seasons in the bottom division. Cracking club though and best chippy near ground in the league.

Aaahh, Wilbutts Lane Chippy, the memories.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby lifestags » Sun May 02, 2021 8:43 am

Just watched the extended highlights again and I’m really excited to see what this midfield can do with a proper striker in the team, Maris especially, he was really good in that first half.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun May 02, 2021 10:37 am

lifestags wrote:Just watched the extended highlights again and I’m really excited to see what this midfield can do with a proper striker in the team, Maris especially, he was really good in that first half.

On his Maris is quality however the key is to perform at that level week in week out !

saying that must agree, exciting times ahead with at last a proper manager
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun May 02, 2021 11:14 am

What can we say about our last home match, well we had 5 academy players on the pitch and our midfield gave a great display of our engine room, while our frailty was once more on display
to many chances missed and silly mistakes in defence costing us to many points, a game with no pressure, but Clough still wanted that winning feeling a good performance on many fronts and just trying to keep positive with my expectations not running away, 46 games is a long season, But the football club seems to be going in the right direction.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum