{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Benning farewell

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Benning farewell

Postby lifestags » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:32 am

Sedgwick wrote:
Field Mill wrote:Good player and a nice guy. I wish him all the best. Do we know where he's going by the way? Someone said lincoln?
I'm sure he'll be given a warm welcome when he pops up at the Mill again with his new team.

Don't personally believe Lincoln but would love to see him do well there if he went.

Can see him ending up with Flitcroft at portvale.. close to his home also. Someone mentioned this but perhaps just a guess based location and DF

Port Vale would be the obvious choice, I have a feeling he will want to test himself in league 1 though.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:36 pm

He has played in League One at Walsall and they found him wanting and not good enough for League One.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:52 pm

part time pete wrote:He has played in League One at Walsall and they found him wanting and not good enough for League One.

That was six years ago though Pete.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:59 pm

Bet they’d like him back
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:49 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
part time pete wrote:He has played in League One at Walsall and they found him wanting and not good enough for League One.

That was six years ago though Pete.

Speaking of Walsall, look at James Baxendale. According to wiki made over 100 apps for Walsall when they were in league one I believe and he's been dropping ever since
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:27 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:I don’t think it’s too far fetched to say that his last game for us could be against his future employers.

He won’t play for us again mate.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:33 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Just watched the extended version. Great interview.

Some great lines, Flitcroft ‘an incredible manager’, Pearcey could still be the best defender in L2 now.

I think the most telling one was when he said he was still not over the near miss season. I know he was probably exaggerating for contents sake, but his form has never reached those levels since (but he’s not on his own there).

If Sweeney also leaves that will be the whole Flitcroft team dismantled.

Nice of him to compliment his new boss :D
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:49 pm

Dan wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Just watched the extended version. Great interview.

Some great lines, Flitcroft ‘an incredible manager’, Pearcey could still be the best defender in L2 now.

I think the most telling one was when he said he was still not over the near miss season. I know he was probably exaggerating for contents sake, but his form has never reached those levels since (but he’s not on his own there).

If Sweeney also leaves that will be the whole Flitcroft team dismantled.

Nice of him to compliment his new boss :D

Pretty much every former Stags player has said the same about Flitcroft Dan - he was very well liked by most of the players, the only ones who didn't like him were utter wasters who Flitcroft could not move on because Evans had put them on a long, high wage deal. 4th in League 2 still remains our highest league position in 17 years, I think one thing we can agree on is that lets hope NC maybe goes at least one position higher next season.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:13 am

Makes you wonder why they bottled it for him doesn’t it? ;)
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:01 am

You can only judge a manager on progress made during his time in charge. It makes no difference if they start in League 1 or Conference North, it’s the distance travelled that counts. The fact Flitcroft achieved our highest league finish in 17 years is irrelevant in real terms.

Cox gained promotion and obviously improved our position in the world. Flitcroft spent a fortune and achieved nothing. His team were on a downward spiral when he was sacked and wouldn’t have achieved if we had kept him on.

To emphasise this point, read the comments about this year and how posters feel about our final league position. When it really really counted Flitcroft played Macca at full back, a position he had never played before and was totally out of his depth at.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:30 am

Dan wrote:Makes you wonder why they bottled it for him doesn’t it? ;)

I don't think they meant to :lol: We should have finished top 3 no doubt and I was as gutted as everyone else. We were stung by poor refereeing decisions in the play offs. I'm so glad we have Clough at the club for it has been truly awful since DF left. I'm very optimistic for next season and if we finish 4th I doubt Clough will be sacked ;)
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sweden Stag » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:49 am

Rob wrote:
Dan wrote:Makes you wonder why they bottled it for him doesn’t it? ;)

I don't think they meant to :lol: We should have finished top 3 no doubt and I was as gutted as everyone else. We were stung by poor refereeing decisions in the play offs. I'm so glad we have Clough at the club for it has been truly awful since DF left. I'm very optimistic for next season and if we finish 4th I doubt Clough will be sacked ;)

Exactly. One of the very worst pieces of refereeing ever seen by me in nearly 60 years of watching football at different levels. Thankfully, we haven't had that particular ref since then. But incredibly enough, he gets games in League One, i.e. AFC Wimbledon v Portsmouth on Saturday. Speaks volumes. We were also stung by some poor officiating in the latter part of that season. Need only to say Newport and Notts County away.
Stockholm, July 4, 2008, 15.00 GMT. Good news came, K.H. gone. March 1, 2012. Ground purchased.
Sweden Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby adamstag » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:57 am

Great servant to the club, the last season sadly hasn’t been so good and clearly both parties have reached a fitting and sensible conclusion.

Putting my neck out there i think we can do better.

Good lad, good effort and will always be remembered by his goal at the sheep dip
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:28 pm

Every player we sign could be improved by signing someone better.

The issue is that we haven’t the money to sign the better player and also that better player might not want to come here.
part time pete

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:55 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:You can only judge a manager on progress made during his time in charge. It makes no difference if they start in League 1 or Conference North, it’s the distance travelled that counts. The fact Flitcroft achieved our highest league finish in 17 years is irrelevant in real terms.

Cox gained promotion and obviously improved our position in the world. Flitcroft spent a fortune and achieved nothing. His team were on a downward spiral when he was sacked and wouldn’t have achieved if we had kept him on.

To emphasise this point, read the comments about this year and how posters feel about our final league position. When it really really counted Flitcroft played Macca at full back, a position he had never played before and was totally out of his depth at.

OK, Evans spent a good portion of that budget. A bit like saying Clough should be judged on next season if he can't move on players he doesn't want that were on 2 year deals.

You could make a case that Clough plateaued in January and is on a downward spiral. Should we sack him now? You seem certain that we'd have had the same form as JD had should Flitcroft had stayed.

No progress? Evans got 12th. Flitcroft got 8th and then 4th. How do you define progress? We went from mid table to play off challengers to automatic challengers. That's progress in my book.

Cox gained promotion, this is true. It took him 4 transfer windows and 2 years. Flitcroft got 2 transfer windows and got play offs in his first full one.

Flitcroft played Macca at right back. A right winger at right back? Where have I seen that this season? I wonder.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:25 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:You can only judge a manager on progress made during his time in charge. It makes no difference if they start in League 1 or Conference North, it’s the distance travelled that counts. The fact Flitcroft achieved our highest league finish in 17 years is irrelevant in real terms.

OK, Evans spent a good portion of that budget. A bit like saying Clough should be judged on next season if he can't move on players he doesn't want that were on 2 year deals.

You could make a case that Clough plateaued in January and is on a downward spiral. Should we sack him now? You seem certain that we'd have had the same form as JD had should Flitcroft had stayed.

No progress? Evans got 12th. Flitcroft got 8th and then 4th. How do you define progress? We went from mid table to play off challengers to automatic challengers. That's progress in my book.

Cox gained promotion, this is true. It took him 4 transfer windows and 2 years. Flitcroft got 2 transfer windows and got play offs in his first full one.

Flitcroft played Macca at right back. A right winger at right back? Where have I seen that this season? I wonder.

Flitcroft spent the majority of his budget himself. The mainstay of his team were mainly Murray’s players who weren’t costing a fortune.

We went from 5th to 4th which is an improvement of 1 place and we were lucky to finish that high. After dropping out of an almost nailed on playoff place in his first season.

Macca had never, that’s right, never played full back previously yet he played him there in the most important game of the season when others were available. That is totally different from wingers being given the chance to play there in games when nothing is at stake and let’s be honest, Gordon has been abysmal there.

If you’ve not noticed we are already in a better position than we were before Clough took over and he has achieved his objectives with games to spare and with a far worse squad than Flitcroft inherited. I fully expect Clough to achieve more progress next year and would be surprised if he fell short.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:32 pm

I agree with NC comment.

If Flitcroft hadn’t been sacked we would be in league 1 now in my opinion.
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:32 pm

part time pete wrote:Every player we sign could be improved by signing someone better.

The issue is that we haven’t the money to sign the better player and also that better player might not want to come here.

Why don't we have the money Pete? I've not seen anywhere that Clough won't be given anything other than a big budget at this level and the only reason we saved money in Jan is because Burton wouldn't release Akins and Brayford. I do not think Clough would have joined MTFC had he not been promised a promotion budget.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:23 pm

Rob wrote:
part time pete wrote:Every player we sign could be improved by signing someone better.

Why don't we have the money Pete? I've not seen anywhere that Clough won't be given anything other than a big budget at this level and the only reason we saved money in Jan is because Burton wouldn't release Akins and Brayford. I do not think Clough would have joined MTFC had he not been promised a promotion budget.

I think you have misunderstood my post. Whoever we sign this summer there are players out there who are better players. (Ie Harry Kane).

It all depends what budget Nigel is given ( we must remember a lot of it is already spent) and I agree I doubt Nigel will be given enough money to sign Harry Kane. :lol: :lol:

I have every confidence in Nigel spending the budget wisely. Let’s hope the budget is enough for promotion.
part time pete

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:45 pm

Don’t forget the budget last season was effected by the salary cap, which isn’t in place any longer. Therefore the majority of it may not have been spent
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:15 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

Flitcroft spent the majority of his budget himself. The mainstay of his team were mainly Murray’s players who weren’t costing a fortune.

We went from 5th to 4th which is an improvement of 1 place and we were lucky to finish that high. After dropping out of an almost nailed on playoff place in his first season.

Macca had never, that’s right, never played full back previously yet he played him there in the most important game of the season when others were available. That is totally different from wingers being given the chance to play there in games when nothing is at stake and let’s be honest, Gordon has been abysmal there.

If you’ve not noticed we are already in a better position than we were before Clough took over and he has achieved his objectives with games to spare and with a far worse squad than Flitcroft inherited. I fully expect Clough to achieve more progress next year and would be surprised if he fell short.

5th to 4th? Which season did we finish 5th?or are you alluding to the position we were in 3 years ago when Evans jumped ship? If so then we went from 5th in February 2018 to 2nd in February 2019 an improvemenr of 3 places out of a possible 4. For me the season ends in May (its where you finish that counts) and May 2018 we finished 8th and May 2019 we finished 3rd.

I've never said it was the correct choice to play MacDonald at right wing back, what I said was Clough played a winger at full back this season too. McLaughlin hasn't been at left back before as far as I know.

What if Clough does fall short? What then? Sack him and go again with Cooper?

The thing is if Clough falls short and all those who wanted Flitcroft sacked doesn't want Clough sacked are hypocrites.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:57 pm

Sorry Gaza but you are incorrect. We didn’t finish 3rd in May 2019, we finished 4th and hence in the playoffs.

You are quite correct about it being where you finish that counts and both times under Flitcroft we finished in league2. Are you honestly defending him for playing Macca at full back for our most important game in a decade? Was it the right decision?

I didn’t say it would be correct to sack Clough if we don’t get promoted next term. He has a good pedigree and won’t be saddling the club with debt which is not sustainable. His team will progress not tread water and go backwards.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:09 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Sorry Gaza but you are incorrect. We didn’t finish 3rd in May 2019, we finished 4th and hence in the playoffs.

You are quite correct about it being where you finish that counts and both times under Flitcroft we finished in league2. Are you honestly defending him for playing Macca at full back for our most important game in a decade? Was it the right decision?

I didn’t say it would be correct to sack Clough if we don’t get promoted next term. He has a good pedigree and won’t be saddling the club with debt which is not sustainable. His team will progress not tread water and go backwards.

You’re wasting your time mate. Gazza has just got a copy and paste where Flitcroft and Evans are concerned. He seems to forget that Flitcroft had the biggest budget any manager has ever had and also that we were paying the highest amount per week on a player with Tyler Walkers £5,000 a week. So therefore we should’ve gone up and we didn’t because, once again, the manager in charge completely bottled it. And that’s why we’ve been on a downward spiral ever since. I can only imagine some of the stuff on here had it been Steve Evans who bottled it twice! That would be a different matter then I can assure you of that.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:22 pm

Dan wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Sorry Gaza but you are incorrect. We didn’t finish 3rd in May 2019, we finished 4th and hence in the playoffs.

You’re wasting your time mate. Gazza has just got a copy and paste where Flitcroft and Evans are concerned. He seems to forget that Flitcroft had the biggest budget any manager has ever had and also that we were paying the highest amount per week on a player with Tyler Walkers £5,000 a week. So therefore we should’ve gone up and we didn’t because, once again, the manager in charge completely bottled it. And that’s why we’ve been on a downward spiral ever since. I can only imagine some of the stuff on here had it been Steve Evans who bottled it twice! That would be a different matter then I can assure you of that.

Gazza is right, those who supported the sacking of DF have set your standards and I expect you to be asking for NC to be sacked if we fail to win promotion next season, he will have a very strong budget and will have had the same transfer opportunities. In fact he is in a slightly stronger position as he will not inherit overpaid wasters like Anderson, who surely is pound for pound the worst player we have ever had.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:43 pm

Do you honestly think NC will sign a player on five grand a week mate?! Never going to happen.
Dan
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum