{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Benning farewell

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Benning farewell

Postby gazza1988 » Sat May 01, 2021 2:58 am

Yes typo on my behalf for 3rd,

Again, I've not defended MacDonald at wing back just pointed out that Clough had also done similar.

Unfortunately Dan also has a copy/paste with regards to Flitcroft. He loves to perpetuate the idea that Flitcroft had the biggest wages busmdget ever that hasn't been matched since. When in reality Dempster and Coughlan last season had the biggest budget so far.

Dan, what has spending £5k p/w on one player got to do with anything? Tyler had 26 goals for us in a season in all competitions. We have apparently had 2 strikers on similar money for 18 months who haven't scored that many goals for us.

You say what if Evans bottled it twice, well it depends. Are you counting his first season finish with us in that? If you are then I'd have given him another season, if we aren't and we are assuming he got play off twice in a row after his 12th place finish then I'd be asking questions around whether we should continue with evans' level of spending.

My issue with Evans is he abandoned ship which derailed our season (o believe there's an interview with pearce where he said as much) and also his conduct while leaving (his job offer in China) . He didn't have the cajones to see his project through. So frankly it's irrelevant what people would say had he done this, that or the other. What he did was challenge for promotion, got into the play offs and then abandoned ship. He wasn't pushed, he jumped. He jumped in a way that tried to prevent us being paid our dues.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
User avatar
gazza1988
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8169
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:23 pm
Location: Beeston, Nottingham

Re: Benning farewell

Postby Amber Andy » Sat May 01, 2021 7:11 am

Dan wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Sorry Gaza but you are incorrect. We didn’t finish 3rd in May 2019, we finished 4th and hence in the playoffs.

You are quite correct about it being where you finish that counts and both times under Flitcroft we finished in league2. Are you honestly defending him for playing Macca at full back for our most important game in a decade? Was it the right decision?

I didn’t say it would be correct to sack Clough if we don’t get promoted next term. He has a good pedigree and won’t be saddling the club with debt which is not sustainable. His team will progress not tread water and go backwards.


You’re wasting your time mate. Gazza has just got a copy and paste where Flitcroft and Evans are concerned. He seems to forget that Flitcroft had the biggest budget any manager has ever had and also that we were paying the highest amount per week on a player with Tyler Walkers £5,000 a week. So therefore we should’ve gone up and we didn’t because, once again, the manager in charge completely bottled it. And that’s why we’ve been on a downward spiral ever since. I can only imagine some of the stuff on here had it been Steve Evans who bottled it twice! That would be a different matter then I can assure you of that.

Dan surely SE was by far the biggest bottler as he jumped ship.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 7369
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 am

Re: Benning farewell

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat May 01, 2021 8:08 am

Amber Andy wrote:
Dan wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Sorry Gaza but you are incorrect. We didn’t finish 3rd in May 2019, we finished 4th and hence in the playoffs.

You are quite correct about it being where you finish that counts and both times under Flitcroft we finished in league2. Are you honestly defending him for playing Macca at full back for our most important game in a decade? Was it the right decision?

I didn’t say it would be correct to sack Clough if we don’t get promoted next term. He has a good pedigree and won’t be saddling the club with debt which is not sustainable. His team will progress not tread water and go backwards.


You’re wasting your time mate. Gazza has just got a copy and paste where Flitcroft and Evans are concerned. He seems to forget that Flitcroft had the biggest budget any manager has ever had and also that we were paying the highest amount per week on a player with Tyler Walkers £5,000 a week. So therefore we should’ve gone up and we didn’t because, once again, the manager in charge completely bottled it. And that’s why we’ve been on a downward spiral ever since. I can only imagine some of the stuff on here had it been Steve Evans who bottled it twice! That would be a different matter then I can assure you of that.

Dan surely SE was by far the biggest bottler as he jumped ship.


Why did he bottle it Andy? His haters call it bottling.

The more philosophical call it doubling your money for a local job in a league higher, I'd say that was job/wage progression?
The way he went about it is a different matter
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 7095
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: Benning farewell

Postby Oldamber55 » Sat May 01, 2021 8:13 am

Here we go again ... going of the subject again .... just because sir Mal mentions that David Flitcroft was the best manager
He played under( and by the way he was our best manager)... the posts start picking and prodding about budgets who bottled what etc .... this topic is about one our best ever players ... let’s leave it there .
Oldamber55
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:43 pm

Re: Benning farewell

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat May 01, 2021 8:24 am

I’m not trying to set standards or saying a manager should be sacked if he fails to achieve x or y levels. We should be looking at actual and potential progress made under a managers stewardship and take it from there.

Clough inherited a much worse squad than Flitcroft and has already demonstrated that he can make considerable progress with someone else’s players. If he hadn’t come in this squad would have been relegated.

Flitcroft inherited a very good squad but made little progress in real terms. He was still relying on Murray’s players as the mainstay and the squad had been in a downward spiral for at least 3 months. By the end of that season we had a demoralised and broken team who were no better than lower quarter of the league. I could see no prospect of that improving any time soon and add on the fact the main striker would not be available the following year and where did that leave us?

The fact that the board failed to appoint a decent manager following that does not distract from the decision that Flitcroft should go. He left a very divided team as demonstrated by the drop in form and downright disruptive behaviour by some of his players.
Who are you calling pedantic? I resemble that remark!
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4261
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:37 pm

Re: Benning farewell

Postby Amber Andy » Sat May 01, 2021 8:48 am

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Dan wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Sorry Gaza but you are incorrect. We didn’t finish 3rd in May 2019, we finished 4th and hence in the playoffs.

You are quite correct about it being where you finish that counts and both times under Flitcroft we finished in league2. Are you honestly defending him for playing Macca at full back for our most important game in a decade? Was it the right decision?

I didn’t say it would be correct to sack Clough if we don’t get promoted next term. He has a good pedigree and won’t be saddling the club with debt which is not sustainable. His team will progress not tread water and go backwards.


You’re wasting your time mate. Gazza has just got a copy and paste where Flitcroft and Evans are concerned. He seems to forget that Flitcroft had the biggest budget any manager has ever had and also that we were paying the highest amount per week on a player with Tyler Walkers £5,000 a week. So therefore we should’ve gone up and we didn’t because, once again, the manager in charge completely bottled it. And that’s why we’ve been on a downward spiral ever since. I can only imagine some of the stuff on here had it been Steve Evans who bottled it twice! That would be a different matter then I can assure you of that.

Dan surely SE was by far the biggest bottler as he jumped ship.


Why did he bottle it Andy? His haters call it bottling.

The more philosophical call it doubling your money for a local job in a league higher, I'd say that was job/wage progression?
The way he went about it is a different matter
He had tremendous backing from the Radfords. He could have easily waited until he got the job done ( as many on here said he would have done), and left us on the summer. He decided not to see the job through.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 7369
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 am

Re: Benning farewell

Postby Fitzy499 » Sat May 01, 2021 9:50 am

This has to be up there with one of the best farewells from any player ever. Always a stag sir Mal COYS
Fitzy499
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:54 pm

Re: Benning farewell

Postby Amber Andy » Sat May 01, 2021 11:18 am

Oldamber55 wrote:Here we go again ... going of the subject again .... just because sir Mal mentions that David Flitcroft was the best manager
He played under( and by the way he was our best manager)... the posts start picking and prodding about budgets who bottled what etc .... this topic is about one our best ever players ... let’s leave it there .
Fair point OldAmber.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 7369
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 am

Re: Benning farewell

Postby Big yella » Sat May 01, 2021 2:33 pm

Oldamber55 wrote:Here we go again ... going of the subject again .... just because sir Mal mentions that David Flitcroft was the best manager
He played under( and by the way he was our best manager)... the posts start picking and prodding about budgets who bottled what etc .... this topic is about one our best ever players ... let’s leave it there .

This. He was giving his opinion, and seeing as he played his best football under DF it can hardly be a surprise he said it.

Let’s get back to thanking a great and loyal servant.

Every time I’ve spoken to him I’ve found him to be a humble and thoroughly engaging young man who has never failed to be a credit to Mansfield Town. From his attitude, work rate and performance on the field he will deservedly be remembered as a Stags legend. Off the field, his handling of being racially abused showed the true class of the man.

Add into that that goal, and I say,

“Farewell Sir Mal. There will always be a seat at The Mill for you. Don’t be a stranger.”
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
User avatar
Big yella
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4724
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:03 am
Location: Forest Town

Re: Benning farewell

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue May 04, 2021 8:58 pm

Excellent interview with Mal Benning. Well worth a listen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p09gm1sp
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin
 
Posts: 21988
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:20 pm
Location: Guildford

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: HCurtis, Phill and 13 guests