{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Nigel Clough is at Hamilton v Motherwell

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Nigel Clough is at Hamilton v Motherwell

Postby Rob » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:44 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Spoke to Scottish football expert and he thinks most likely candidates are :

Hakeem Odoffin - Originally a defender but has been really impressing in midfield. Effective at breaking up play, but has recently signed a contract extension.
Jamie Hamilton - highly rated 19yr centre back. I think probably out of our league as he has been apparently attracting interest from top clubs.
Ross Callachan - goal scoring midfielder, 9 goals this season. Again, I think out of our range.
Bruce Anderson - mobile, hard-working centre forward. Better in a two than on his own. On loan from Aberdeen.

All from Hamilton.

Also mentioned possibly Chris Long at Motherwell.

Thought Cole would probably be above L2, and knew there was interest in him from L1.

Cole it is then :lol: We need to be looking at players better than League 2. For our Scots on here it really is a very sad indictment of the state of Scottish football when a side 86th in the English pyramid is looking at players in the SPL and wondering if they are good enough.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:29 am

yorkshire stag wrote:
Dan wrote:I think it’s Devante Cole too.

look any good mate ?

bet he was surprised to see you up there pmsl

I think we were both surprised to see each other. I blurted out “what are you doing up here?” and he said “watching a game of football!” :lol: We had a chat about the Scunny game & a few other bits. He didn’t say not to say he’d seen him (some managers do) but if he had then obviously I wouldn’t have said anything.

Cole. He was ok nothing special. Tried to link up with his team mates but sometimes it didn’t pay off. Hate to say it but he reminded me of a slightly better version of Jamie Reid. He was doing a lot of things I’ve seen Reid do like play with his back to goal, holding the ball up waiting for others to come into play. He had a few chances but blasted them all wide. So perfect for us then :lol:

Is he Andy Coles son? He still lives in Nottingham so that could be another reason it’s Devante if he wants to come back home. Hamilton’s manager is Brian Rice who played for Forest, I believe his manager was a certain Brian Clough, so it could also be a Hamilton player he was watching. He was doing a lot of scribbling during the first half, I sat opposite him. I’m not sure if he knew but he was sat amongst cardboard cut outs of Nicola Sturgeon, Donald Trump & Boris Johnson!
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Shep » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:12 am

He was on the bench but I did hear we could be in for Aaron Chapman this summer.
Shep
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Torrystag » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:19 am

chip63 wrote:It's a big step up from scots prem to league 2, hope Clough knows what he's doing.
Wasn't he in Wales a few weeks ago? He certainly gets about.

Deluded
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby DURHAM STAG » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:28 am

I think that if we have learned anything this season, it's that our manager knows what he's doing !
DURHAM STAG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bear 73 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:39 am

Brilliant watching Clough and the transfer market , good luck to one and all, normally this is one closed shop, nothing said till the player as signed.
Looks to me like this summer will be entertaining, i like it
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby DURHAM STAG » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:51 am

Britt Assombalonga (ex-Forest striker) has left Middlesbrough. Bit out of our league unless we recouped his wages from shirt sales with his name on the back !
DURHAM STAG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:08 am

DURHAM STAG wrote:Britt Assombalonga (ex-Forest striker) has left Middlesbrough. Bit out of our league unless we recouped his wages from shirt sales with his name on the back !

I’ve heard he’s going to Cheaterfield as they are such a massive sleeping giant. Apparently they have promised him he won’t be furloughed to make way for Harry Kane in two weeks time.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:09 am

DURHAM STAG wrote:Britt Assombalonga (ex-Forest striker) has left Middlesbrough. Bit out of our league unless we recouped his wages from shirt sales with his name on the back !

His wages definitely wouldn't bankrupt us
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:27 am

He was reportedly on 30k a week at Boro. That's about half of our entire weekly budget I would guess.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:34 am

chip63 wrote:It's a big step up from scots prem to league 2, hope Clough knows what he's doing.

Clough loves nothing better than a inter competition between between his Scottish players and the English it gets the place buzzing.
Some players from Scotland---Johnny Russell [Scottish international ] -- Craig Bryson [Scottish international ] -- Jackson Irvine [Australian international], -- Liam Boyce--Dave Templeton
Scott Fraser--Ryan Edwards--Stefan Scougall-- So he knows and understands the Scotts , sometimes they are hard to understand and dont put money on anything [ you will lose ]
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:34 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:

I’ve heard he’s going to Cheaterfield as they are such a massive sleeping giant. Apparently they have promised him he won’t be furloughed to make way for Harry Kane in two weeks time.

I heard a similar rumour. They are using the guaranteed millions they have coming from their manager moving to Real Madrid to part fund his wages
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:39 am

kevin kents tasce wrote:

I’ve heard he’s going to Cheaterfield as they are such a massive sheeping giant. Apparently they have promised him he won’t be furloughed to make way for Harry Kane in two weeks time.
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:47 am

bear 73 wrote:

Clough loves nothing better than a inter competition between between his Scottish players and the English it gets the place buzzing.
Some players from Scotland---Johnny Russell [Scottish international ] -- Craig Bryson [Scottish international ] -- Jackson Irvine [Australian international], -- Liam Boyce--Dave Templeton
Scott Fraser--Ryan Edwards--Stefan Scougall-- So he knows and understands the Scotts , sometimes they are hard to understand and dont put money on anything [ you will lose ]

Hope it's not a Scottish keeper, it's hard to understand why a player would come from the Scott's prem to league 2.
I've no idea what wages they get up there but thought they were akin to championship money.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:54 am

chip63 wrote:
bear 73 wrote:

Hope it's not a Scottish keeper, it's hard to understand why a player would come from the Scott's prem to league 2.
I've no idea what wages they get up there but thought they were akin to championship money.

They won’t be on big money at Hamilton or Motherwell.

Vaclav Hladky was signed from St Mirren in the Scottish Prem and he is the best keeper in L2.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:01 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
chip63 wrote:
bear 73 wrote:

They won’t be on big money at Hamilton or Motherwell.

Vaclav Hladky was signed from St Mirren in the Scottish Prem and he is the best keeper in L2.

And was the third best keeper in the Premiership at the time in mine and a lot of other people’s opinions too.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby tuopolfpilf » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:00 am

Agree that Hamilton won't pay decent wages , Average attendance of 1500-2000
Few ex stags Alex Neil and Rakish Bingham have been at Hamilton

St Mirren will pay higher wages than Hamilton with attendances probably double
tuopolfpilf
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby chip63 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:14 am

Vaclav Hladky doesn't sound very Scottish.
What a farce scots prem is if we can pay more money or similar to some teams.

Just thought about Hemmings, wasn't he up there for a while.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:23 am

chip63 wrote:Vaclav Hladky doesn't sound very Scottish.

Because he's not scottish, he's Czech

And yes Hemmings played for Rangers, Cowdenbeath and Dundee
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:36 am

chip63 wrote:Vaclav Hladky doesn't sound very Scottish.

Its hardly a farce in a population of around 5 million the percentage that attend matches is fantastic
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:33 pm

Devante Cole did not impress in his brief stint at Donny Rovers. He has a similar goalscoring record to Danny Rose but at a higher level

Devante Cole - 120(80) league appearances and 45 goals

Danny Rose - 153(111) league apps and 62 goals
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:08 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Devante Cole did not impress in his brief stint at Donny Rovers. He has a similar goalscoring record to Danny Rose but at a higher level

Devante Cole - 120(80) league appearances and 45 goals

Danny Rose - 153(111) league apps and 62 goals

If he can win as many free kicks as Danny Rose then he will be ok. :lol:
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Jimstag » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:30 am

I know some have said that their top players may be out of our league but last time I saw Hamilton in person Rakish Bingham was up front, so that’s the effective level. If it’s not a highly rated player then I can’t see them up to much in our league.

Clough has a habit of finding those players that you think ‘who?!’ About and they turn out decent so I’ll give the lad time but based on that benchmark Clough has to see something in him.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:12 am

Ready for when they join the Super League !
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum