{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Nigel Clough slams new European Super League plans

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Nigel Clough slams new European Super League plans

Postby Chadman » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:17 pm

Nigel Clough joined the throng of right-minded football people against the new ESL proposals today calling it dangerous and extremely selfish.

https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/n ... ue-3206145
Chadman
First Team
First Team

Re: Nigel Clough slams new European Super League plans

Postby wardy12345 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:34 pm

I’d change the big 6 with improper conduct and expell them from the prem, EFL and let them rejoin at the lowest level that play on a Saturday
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby lifestags » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:41 pm

wardy12345 wrote:I’d change the big 6 with improper conduct and expell them from the prem, EFL and let them rejoin at the lowest level that play on a Saturday

They wouldn't start again though, they would just play their super league at weekends.

Its absolute joke, proves that the people at the top of these football clubs, dont actually care about football or the fans. Not sure how they are going to stop it tbh, ban the players from playing for their country is 1 way to go, but they would just offer them even more money and history shows players go where the money is.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:46 pm

The Premier League won’t expel them because whether you like it or not, they’re the clubs who bring the revenue to the league.

Feel sorry for the likes of Andy Robertson, due to lead his country to a European tournament and his hopes may have been ruined by greedy owners.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:47 pm

wardy12345 wrote:I’d change the big 6 with improper conduct and expell them from the prem, EFL and let them rejoin at the lowest level that play on a Saturday

The problem is that, commercially, the EPL is nothing without the big 6. Banning them would ruin the EPL and the EFL if they were to go elsewhere. Which broadcaster will pay the current mega bucks to cover Burnley v Brighton or Palace v Wolves on a regular basis?

Like someone said, it clearly shows the owners of these clubs clearly have no care for the history of the club they own and the fans that have made them what they are. Whilst it stinks, it's impact could be fatal for others areas of football. The day we lose the competition element through relegations and promotions is the day it dies.
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby lifestags » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:48 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:The Premier League won’t expel them because whether you like it or not, they’re the clubs who bring the revenue to the league.

Feel sorry for the likes of Andy Robertson, due to lead his country to a European tournament and his hopes may have been ruined by greedy owners.

Do you think it would come into affect that soon? Ie players missing the Euros this summer? Surely there would be time given to get out of the club that have put them into this situation.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:49 pm

lifestags wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:The Premier League won’t expel them because whether you like it or not, they’re the clubs who bring the revenue to the league.

Do you think it would come into affect that soon? Ie players missing the Euros this summer? Surely there would be time given to get out of the club that have put them into this situation.

Probably not, but the fella from UEFA was talking earlier about banning the super league teams from this seasons Champions league and Europa league
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:51 pm

Can players refuse to play these days? Or is it breach of contract?
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:52 pm

Told you so.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:06 pm

The premier league will have to grow a pair and kick them out ,of course it will affect income but clubs will have to budget ,it may take a few years but these immoral people will soon realise that you cant keep selling the same old tat every year even the far eastern audiences will tire of it ,it could actually turn out to be one of the best things to happen in football as every club ,player and agent will be pushed back to the reality that they seem to have left behind ,will this happen sadly i dont think so but if anyone really stands up too these people it could and should ,ban anyone involved ,players ,managers from any domestic football ah well in my dreams
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:14 pm

This is what happens when sporting institutions become financial behemoths saddled with debt. They are reducing football to nothing more than 'content' that is used to pedal the big brands, in a flaccid closed shop competition of friendlies, where us the fans are reduced to nothing more than consumers. The owners, who are nothing to do with the club's really, want to swap passion for profit.

The idea was that they would stay in the premier League, but if they breakaway they will be banned from all domestic comps and players banned from representing their country.

Like project big picture, it's a clandestine plot to furnish the rich with more money.

They knew how badly this would go down but it expect it'll merely get them a better seat at the table to negotiate more Money from an enhanced European competition.

I think that they should all be relegated, and the top 6 in the championship promoted, and the blades, baggies and Fulham spared relegation.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:16 pm

lifestags wrote:

They wouldn't start again though, they would just play their super league at weekends.

Its absolute joke, proves that the people at the top of these football clubs, dont actually care about football or the fans. Not sure how they are going to stop it tbh, ban the players from playing for their country is 1 way to go, but they would just offer them even more money and history shows players go where the money is.

They need domestic football more than domestic football needs them ,players want to play in world cups and euros ,the big tv audiences they assume would relish their product will soon tire of it lets be honest its not even a european super league its english spanish and italian ,when was the last time any of them won a world cup
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby kevin kents tasce » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:29 pm

I think you are mistaken Torry.

There is already precedent for major sports leagues trotting out the same fixtures season after season and making some serious profits in the process. Look at the NFL, MLB, NHL and NBA for starters.

Then there is the IPL and F1 who both have the same teams competing on the same fields / tracks year after year.

It’s ok saying that they will be banned from international football, but the FA’s will soon change their tunes when their revenues suffer.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:36 pm

The only way this will be stopped is if the consumers refuse to buy the games and associated merchandise.

Without customers this is a non starter and the majority of those customers will be watching on tv. If it does come to pass then we must all cancel our tv packages and tell the companies why we are doing it. It’s no good just moaning, the solution is in our hands and our hands alone.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:53 pm

massive gamble for the broadcasters . if they add the fee on to the current sports subscription many will cancel , Equally i cannot see enough people subscribing to an additional European league channel.
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:56 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:I think you are mistaken Torry.

There is already precedent for major sports leagues trotting out the same fixtures season after season and making some serious profits in the process. Look at the NFL, MLB, NHL and NBA for starters.

Then there is the IPL and F1 who both have the same teams competing on the same fields / tracks year after year.

It’s ok saying that they will be banned from international football, but the FA’s will soon change their tunes when their revenues suffer.

Its ok trotting out NFL,MLB,NHL,NBA i would not even have a clue what half of them are ,this is a unique situation no other country in the world has a pyramid system like england 92 league clubs ,we support our club despite the local premiere league clubs or former european champions on our doorstep,its a unique country in that respect
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby BH_Stag » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:01 pm

Seen the odd piece that’s suggested it may come in to play as soon as next season, in which case if there’s any truth to that then those 6 clubs should be sanctioned domestically immediately for ruining the integrity of this seasons competition. Arsenal and Spurs are supposed to be sides that are pushing for European football with the Everton, West Ham etc. And what we’re basically being told is they’re not really that bothered how they do cos they’ll be playing against Europe’s elite anyway.

As has been mentioned here it probably is unlikely they’ll get thrown out the prem if it goes ahead because once again money will see to that, but the Premier League need to think about what kind of product they will have left if they bend over backwards for these 6. The teams competing in Europe already have to rotate their team when they play twice a week so we’d be in a position where essentially a B team plays in the prem and the main stars will play in Europe midweek as there’s no incentive for them to do well in the domestic league. Needs a really strong stance to try and ward the entire thing off.

Doesn’t half make you pleased to support a lower league club though. What with VAR and break away leagues elite football isn’t the same.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:02 pm

I've not bothered with premier league for years. In fact I struggle to watch the England team. Let the greedy six get on with it. When it fails, let them restart in the regional National Leagues.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:21 pm

Isn’t this just the same when the Premier League started in 1992.

Only difference is that relegation is still in place in name only, as the relegated clubs get the parachute payments and it looks like the three relegated last season will bounce back up.

Don’t they say in the ESL that five clubs out the 20 will have chance of relegation, just the 12 founders can’t be relegated.

Personally, I think it is a ploy so that the UEFA change their plans regarding champions league qualification. They are already changing it but not quick enough for the greedy 12.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Torrystag » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:52 pm

Uefa have been complicit in every failure,since its inception ,the whole european structure is loaded towards the clubs of 3 countries england,spain and italy ,oh dear these clubs come from said countries
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:04 pm

Not bothered with the premier league or match of the day for about 5 years now... Its boring and you feel nothing watching it.

Very sad, I know a die hard Liverpool fan who's completely fell out of love with football because he feels like he doesn't have a local team until he started going to a non league side.

Personally think having the "best' sides in Europe playing each other every week will get boring very quickly... magic of the champions league is being drawn against another top side you haven't played for years.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:08 pm

I’m reading that City, Chelsea and Real Madrid will be expelled from the Champions League on Friday

PSG could win their first European Cup without kicking a ball in the semi or final
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:52 pm

There is zero chance of the "6" staying in the Premier league aswell as the ESL...
No chance at all..
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:59 pm

Sedgwick wrote:Not bothered with the premier league or match of the day for about 5 years now... Its boring and you feel nothing watching it.

Very sad, I know a die hard Liverpool fan who's completely fell out of love with football because he feels like he doesn't have a local team until he started going to a non league side.

Personally think having the "best' sides in Europe playing each other every week will get boring very quickly... magic of the champions league is being drawn against another top side you haven't played for years.

Likewise lost interest years ago.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:10 pm

What a terrible idea.
They'd occupy the all the automatic promotion and play off spots in every league in their march back to the top, thereby denying other teams any opportunity to progress higher, as they otherwise would have deserved
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum