{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Nigel Clough slams new European Super League plans

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Nigel Clough slams new European Super League plans

Postby kevin kents tasce » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:21 pm

bellwhiff wrote:I’m reading that City, Chelsea and Real Madrid will be expelled from the Champions League on Friday

PSG could win their first European Cup without kicking a ball in the semi or final

I hope they do expel them. It’s what they deserve.

PSG will win the cup, but there will always be an asterisk next to it.

What a sad state of affairs. I just worry how it will affect clubs like ours? I’m not a big fan of the premier league, but the lower leagues have grown dependent and their hand downs.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:18 pm

Those worrying about whether they’ll get their seasons ticket seat back will be apoplectic when all the new Stags fans turn up in August :lol:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:29 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Those worrying about whether they’ll get their seasons ticket seat back will be apoplectic when all the new Stags fans turn up in August :lol:

We better get the Bishop Street Stand rebuilt sharpish we’ll have 10,000 knocking on the door come August!
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby HU7stag » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:38 pm

Look what's happened to football since Sky have been involved. Shock horror.

Sky 》 Money to football clubs, mainly to the elite 》 Greed
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bridgford Stag » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:23 pm

And.... I can imagine that the top 6 will field their strongest teams midweek because thats where the money is and I'll wager that they will be contractually bound to play their best team.

And..... if, they are still allowed to play in the Premier I can see a second string outfit being fielded on the Saturday.

And...I'm fed up of bleating of teams 'having' to play too many games...

And.... I'm sick of players 'having to need' £350k a week....

Get lost I say.
Bridgford Stag
First Team
First Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:29 pm

Is this the way that premiere league teams will get b teams into the football league?
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:36 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Is this the way that premiere league teams will get b teams into the football league?

no because this super League won't happen
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:46 pm

The other 14 will be keen to negotiate with the 6 to stay in the Premier League if Steve Parish’s comments are anything to go by.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:54 pm

As I sit, rather smug may I add, reading more and more about how football at the top level has finally eaten itself I can help but smile at the irony and hypocrisy of it all. How on earth can those that have lived off Sky’s Premier League product since 92 complain about this latest power and money grab?

This has been happening for nearly 30 yrs and people are only just opening their eyes to it and why, because it threatens their monopoly.

Yes, the Super League is horrid idea thought up by Billionaire banks and hedge fund managers for their portfolios but if we are to have the ‘fan led review’ to save the soul of football at least include the horrid Premier League and its tentacles (parachute payments, kick off times, abuse of the FA cup etc) in it also.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:56 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:The only way this will be stopped is if the consumers refuse to buy the games and associated merchandise.

Without customers this is a non starter and the majority of those customers will be watching on tv. If it does come to pass then we must all cancel our tv packages and tell the companies why we are doing it. It’s no good just moaning, the solution is in our hands and our hands alone.

Been saying this since ‘92. It is up to the gullible sheep that pay for Sky to down their remotes and start the reset button. Or, as the Newcastle fans did when the Premier League wanted to charge for games in lockdown, take up illegal streaming options on a massive scale.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:01 pm

I think most football supporters follow their club, and its T-V revenue that fuels this narrative, with Sky spending millions just to line peoples pockets, With out a team in the Premier league
i have no interest, also since the European cup went into a league knockout interest has gone, until the knockout stages later on
This project is a insult to us as a nation and the teams concerned putting shareholders in front of fans is a disgrace to the clubs concerned,
I would think the Premier league and Mansfield Town would be a impossible dream like winning the F-A cup, but its that dream that makes us fans support our clubs , Man Utd v Inter Milan
in a league for the rich clubs only, is a bridge to far, Parachute payments for clubs relegated from the Premier league is a insult to the Championship
English football is dominated by the Premier league, we should not tolerate European control of our national game
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:59 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:The only way this will be stopped is if the consumers refuse to buy the games and associated merchandise.

Without customers this is a non starter and the majority of those customers will be watching on tv. If it does come to pass then we must all cancel our tv packages and tell the companies why we are doing it. It’s no good just moaning, the solution is in our hands and our hands alone.

Been saying this since ‘92. It is up to the gullible sheep that pay for Sky to down their remotes and start the reset button. Or, as the Newcastle fans did when the Premier League wanted to charge for games in lockdown, take up illegal streaming options on a massive scale.

Agreed. Still waiting for the inevitable Premier League negotiating with the 6 and shafting the lower league clubs somehow.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby daddycool » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:58 am

You will have all on stopping it ,when the giant American financial institutes move in ,they know a winner when they see one . No doubt it will be run through a American network streaming service ,you will say I’m not watching it ,I will watch Netflix ,American , or order something else from Amazon,American . Or we will order a McDonald’s and a costa and stay in. American .
Of course they will the first 3 months free to get you hooked
Just a thought
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:15 am

The One wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:Not bothered with the premier league or match of the day for about 5 years now... Its boring and you feel nothing watching it.

Very sad, I know a die hard Liverpool fan who's completely fell out of love with football because he feels like he doesn't have a local team until he started going to a non league side.

Personally think having the "best' sides in Europe playing each other every week will get boring very quickly... magic of the champions league is being drawn against another top side you haven't played for years.

Likewise lost interest years ago.

Ditto, wall to wall football put paid to it. No buzz at all, and England :lol:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:29 am

Lets be honest this idea is purely down to the euro big boys trying to force there planned champions league changes onto uefa.... In basic terms they want to boot out all the small fry ie champions of estonia, latvia etc and play more games between themselves... uefa has said no so there hitting back with this whole ESL garbage... Dont think for one minute that they will sctually go ahead with it.
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby diablo » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:55 am

To be honest I haven't watched European football for years and only occasionally Premier League..why?..boring possession football , players diving at a whim , feigning injury , wasting time , trying to get your opponents booked or sent off ( the worst sort of bad sportsmanship in my opinion), arguing at every decision the ref makes , when lightly touched or pushed they go down as if Mike Tyson had hit them , then a minute later they are sprinting around ...a lot of this basically childish behaviour originated from Europe and beyond and has worked its way down the divisions here and has completely changed and ruined the game plus there is far too much money being splashed around at the top level.
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby one f in mansfield » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:25 am

diablo wrote:To be honest I haven't watched European football for years and only occasionally Premier League..why?..boring possession football , players diving at a whim , feigning injury , wasting time , trying to get your opponents booked or sent off ( the worst sort of bad sportsmanship in my opinion), arguing at every decision the ref makes , when lightly touched or pushed they go down as if Mike Tyson had hit them , then a minute later they are sprinting around ...a lot of this basically childish behaviour originated from Europe and beyond and has worked its way down the divisions here and has completely changed and ruined the game plus there is far too much money being splashed around at the top level.

Add taking a throw in from a different postcode to where it should be taken and players walking away while being booked or spoken to by the ref and you have summed up my feelings pretty good .

years ago before the saturation of football we have now , one of the channels tried showing Italian games .At the time it was interesting to watch simply because you could not believe how poor the sportsmanship was in especially the holding of shirts and players at free kicks and corners . .We have very sadly reached that level .
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby Chris M » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:00 am

diablo wrote:To be honest I haven't watched European football for years and only occasionally Premier League..why?..boring possession football , players diving at a whim , feigning injury , wasting time , trying to get your opponents booked or sent off ( the worst sort of bad sportsmanship in my opinion), arguing at every decision the ref makes , when lightly touched or pushed they go down as if Mike Tyson had hit them , then a minute later they are sprinting around ...a lot of this basically childish behaviour originated from Europe and beyond and has worked its way down the divisions here and has completely changed and ruined the game plus there is far too much money being splashed around at the top level.

My thoughts exactly. Stopped watching Premier League many years ago for the reasons you state. It was driving me bonkers watching grown men behaving like that. Premier League brought many good players to our game, but definitely brought diving and cheating. Even at our level you see players pleading that opponents should be booked and sent off. Proper tackling is outlawed, some players are even heard to scream when tackled these days. It drives me mad.
Another reason I stopped watching was when most Premier League teams had little or no home grown players. I would find it very difficult to identify with supporting such a club.

Stopped watching European football when knock out competitions became leagues. It does emphasise how good Florest most have been to win cup two years running though.

Stopped watching England in 2010 when our players did not look interested.

Cancelled BT Sport this year when I realised I only watch Moto GP and Conference matches on there. Pay for a Moto GP pass now to watch.

Can’t help thinking that this latest European League idea is merely a lever for the so called top clubs to extort even more cash from the pot.

I made sound grumpy to some, but will continue to support my home town club as I have done for 44 years.
Last edited by Chris M on Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chris M
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby julianshatnasty » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:05 am

Ban the clubs from all domestic competitions.
Bam the players from International teams.
Terrestrial TV refuse to report it nevermind show it.
Newspapers refuse to cover it.

Job done thank you very much.

Fans can't afford to travel to see it and subscription channels are the only option, people would much rather see a competitive league without those clubs anyway. Only children and tribal, glory-hunting adults really associate themselves with bigger clubs anyway. I like watching them but ultimately don't give a toss of its there or not.
julianshatnasty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Stag on the Beach » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:12 am

Spot on, as was a post I saw on Facebook earlier (Grassroots Football UK's account).
"Next time you think of putting money into the pockets of a billionaire via shirt sales, merchandise, PPV etc maybe buy a raffle ticket, or a few balls, or some bibs for a local grassroots club instead, pop down to your local non league team, you can really make a difference to the part of the game who don’t get billions already. #Dontfeedthegreed
Paul Kirton
Grassroots"
Stag on the Beach
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby PaulG » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:34 am

the problem with our withholding our financial support (which they've never had from me anyway) is that these owners couldn't care less if no-one in England attends their matches, subscribes to their tv channels, or buys their merchandise. Their market is China and the Far East. And Covid has convinced them that televised football loses little of its gloss for lack of spectators in the ground. They see a logic in a closed market guaranteed an income from tv sales to Asia; and the American owners, at least, are culturally wired to resist the concept of the hazard of relegation. Their gridiron football has no relegation, and on-field success or failure has little bearing on a club's finances. It's not for the likes of me, but they won't lose any sleep over that.
PaulG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Arnolds Rod » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:40 am

Big six fans don't need to worry as they will be able to watch the new league with their Amazon Prime account in association with Budweiser.
Arnolds Rod
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby James » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:24 pm

The thing being overlooked here is that it isn't called the European Super League, its called The Super League. These charlatans have bigger plans than just playing eachother in Europe for the next 20 years.

Coca-Cola Liverpool Reds vs Fiat Juventus is Doha coming right up.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:34 pm

Its not going to happen ,lots of posturing ,but if the efl ban them all brilliant ,in the end we will end up with a diluted version of the champions league more games ,more cash ,but for how long people are not buying into it
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Torrystag » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:35 pm

James wrote:The thing being overlooked here is that it isn't called the European Super League, its called The Super League. These charlatans have bigger plans than just playing eachother in Europe for the next 20 years.

Coca-Cola Liverpool Reds vs Fiat Juventus is Doha coming right up.

Its a shortsighted vision not gonna happen
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum