{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Now that we are safe

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Now that we are safe

Postby garlic » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:42 pm

I would really like NC to use the rest of this seasons games to give those players on the edge of the current first team a real chance to earn themselves a contract for next season. So I would give that young Wolves gk - Paddington could be his name - at least 3 games. At right back we have both Clarke and O`Keefe who could be given 2 games apiece. At left back that young lad we signed from Derby. Kellan Gordon deserves a start both at right midfield and the right hand side of a 3 man front line. Keaton Ward in the centre for at least 3 of the games, and Jason Law could have a game at left back, another left sided midfield and on the left of a front 3. As for Charlsley, I really don`t know his best position, but he certainly isnt a right sided midfielder, so give him a game or two in the middle. These changes would give a lot of energy to the last games and could settle any doubts about the retained list. What are others thoughts on the best way to use these last few games?
garlic
First Team
First Team

Re: Now that we are safe

Postby Opus » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:44 pm

We are not safe yet
Opus
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:46 pm

I don’t think we’ll see that.

Clough will want to finish the season well. I don’t think he’ll play anyone who won’t be here next season, such as O’Keeffe, Ward, Wright etc.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:01 pm

Opus wrote:We are not safe yet

I bet you that we are
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:08 pm

He said in the press conference last week that he wants to play james Clarke and the left back from derby when we are safe
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Nottsstag100 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:18 pm

bellwhiff wrote:

I bet you that we are

Unless we lose every game, Southend win every game and win by a margin of 22 goals in 4 games then we are safe....

So we are safe
Nottsstag100
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:23 pm

If Southend win their 4 games they would have 50 points, Stags have only got 49 points
Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:50 pm

The One
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:31 pm

Most managers don't think this way. They try to win every single game with their best possible team. It reflects on their win percentage and affects future job prospects.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby macstag » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:50 pm

We are not safe - you need to do some arithmetic homework. Statistically we are likely to be safe but as NC accepts we are NOT safe.
macstag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dan » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:36 pm

If you’re a glass half full person we are safe. If your glass is always half empty (like a lot of posters on here) then we can still go down.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Nottsstag100 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:05 am

macstag wrote:We are not safe - you need to do some arithmetic homework. Statistically we are likely to be safe but as NC accepts we are NOT safe.

how pessimistic can one person be, also 4 posts in 12 years, see you in 2024 :D
Nottsstag100
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:55 am

Nottsstag100 wrote:
macstag wrote:We are not safe - you need to do some arithmetic homework. Statistically we are likely to be safe but as NC accepts we are NOT safe.

how pessimistic can one person be, also 4 posts in 12 years, see you in 2024 :D
They are right though.

After Tuesday I think we will be mathematically safe. :)
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:35 am

bellwhiff wrote:

I bet you that we are

The maths say we aren't so from a statistical view you're wrong and your 50p would be in Opus's pocket :D

But I don't think even if we did the last 4 games 'the Mansfield Town way' we have too much of a buffer for any fingernail biting come May.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:24 am

Spiritater wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

I bet you that we are

The maths say we aren't so from a statistical view you're wrong and your 50p would be in Opus's pocket :D

But I don't think even if we did the last 4 games 'the Mansfield Town way' we have too much of a buffer for any fingernail biting come May.

Tell you what, I’ll bet you that the points total that we have now is enough.

Fancy that bet ?

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Curry 9 Brace 7 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:33 am

I just hope that next season we wont be looking at the bottom teams results every saturday. Now that will make a change.
Curry 9 Brace 7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiritater » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:54 am

bellwhiff wrote:
Spiritater wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

I bet you that we are

Fancy that bet ?

I'm not denying the fact bud, but your statement above is statistically wrong so at the time of posting you lose the bet to Opus :D
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:32 am

Spiritater wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Spiritater wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

I bet you that we are

Fancy that bet ?

I'm not denying the fact bud, but your statement above is statistically wrong so at the time of posting you lose the bet to Opus :D

No. I never said I was speaking of mathematical absolutes. I am saying we are safe and I’ll be happy to wager to that fact

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:57 am

Just got to make sure all these youth teamers we have never heard of that young Nige will now play are registered properly so we don’t have points deductions. :lol: :lol:
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby chip63 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:36 pm

part time pete wrote:Just got to make sure all these youth teamers we have never heard of that young Nige will now play are registered properly so we don’t have points deductions. :lol: :lol:

Please don't say that, I'm still struggling to believe we are 100% safe I'm 99.5.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:00 pm

We will win tomorrow then we can all relax.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:34 pm

garlic wrote:I would really like NC to use the rest of this seasons games to give those players on the edge of the current first team a real chance to earn themselves a contract for next season. So I would give that young Wolves gk - Paddington could be his name - at least 3 games. At right back we have both Clarke and O`Keefe who could be given 2 games apiece. At left back that young lad we signed from Derby. Kellan Gordon deserves a start both at right midfield and the right hand side of a 3 man front line. Keaton Ward in the centre for at least 3 of the games, and Jason Law could have a game at left back, another left sided midfield and on the left of a front 3. As for Charlsley, I really don`t know his best position, but he certainly isnt a right sided midfielder, so give him a game or two in the middle. These changes would give a lot of energy to the last games and could settle any doubts about the retained list. What are others thoughts on the best way to use these last few games?

Use our best players and try to end the Season on a high with a good win against Scunny and that will definitely seal our League 2 status this season, Pardington ,Wright ,Ward and Charles were always at best panic acquisitions and are not first team material and have cost the Club money, if they were in his plans he would have played them at some point
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:46 pm

Pardington is 3rd choice for 1 position. Charles is seemingly 3rd choice for 1 position. Wright is 4th choice for 2 positions (ie both centre backs) and ward is probably 5th, 6th or 7th choice for 3 (we have that many options there).

Clough said he likes to have 3 keepers, clearly he doesn't thing the kids keeper is good enough right now. Charles is 19 and comes from a good academy. Ward was brought in when we appeared to have a midfield injury crisis. Wright was brought in when the starting Centre backs were having nightmare games. He'd been training with us (ironically when they started making big errors) for a while so was most up to speed and available at the time.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:55 pm

Clough has said that Pardington, Clarke and Charles will get a chance when we get to 50pts.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby groundhoppingstag » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:47 pm

diablo wrote:
garlic wrote:I would really like NC to use the rest of this seasons games to give those players on the edge of the current first team a real chance to earn themselves a contract for next season. So I would give that young Wolves gk - Paddington could be his name - at least 3 games. At right back we have both Clarke and O`Keefe who could be given 2 games apiece. At left back that young lad we signed from Derby. Kellan Gordon deserves a start both at right midfield and the right hand side of a 3 man front line. Keaton Ward in the centre for at least 3 of the games, and Jason Law could have a game at left back, another left sided midfield and on the left of a front 3. As for Charlsley, I really don`t know his best position, but he certainly isnt a right sided midfielder, so give him a game or two in the middle. These changes would give a lot of energy to the last games and could settle any doubts about the retained list. What are others thoughts on the best way to use these last few games?

Use our best players and try to end the Season on a high with a good win against Scunny and that will definitely seal our League 2 status this season.

Agree with this then play the 'trialists'
groundhoppingstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum