{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

A reflection on Mr Clough's transfer dealings in January

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: A reflection on Mr Clough's transfer dealings in Januar

Postby m1cksut » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:28 am

diablo wrote:
Norman wrote:
Think the January transfer window worked well ? Really ? If I had known we were throwing the towel in , in January I would not have brought a season ticket! Look what Bolton did and were they are now!

Exactly ,Good example

hmmm, one never happy "supporter" and one still angry because he couldnt buy the club.
my one regret is...i have no regrets!
m1cksut
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:38 am

We didn't throw the towel in in January we'd won 5 on the trot and lost 1 in 10 league games. All possible without much input from Maynard and Cook. We then went 2 weeks without a game but had to train like we were playing Sat-Tues because we were, games were called off same day or day before. We also lost Lapslie to injury and we suffered as a result, eventually losing our main 3 central midfielders to injury (Lapslie, Clarke and Maris) which also didn't help.

Everyone goes on like the club can see into the future. At the time we looked set to do a Bolton. Injuries to key players made that fizzle out (we've seen it before in DFs season).

The season ticket example is just poor. "If you'd have known". You are saying that you purchased a season ticket because you thought GC would get us promoted? Weren't you the one complaining the most about rookies or something? Besides, there was a chance that this season wouldn't have even finished with the pandemic. so that doesn't wash.

Or should we spend like Bury did? Let's get promotion and then fold soon after.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:26 am

diablo wrote:
Norman wrote:
magicstag wrote:Think the January transfer window worked well.
Exactly how the manager was told to cut the wage bill .
Give him more scope in the summer.
Plus dont forget how much covid as cost the club

Think the January transfer window worked well ? Really ? If I had known we were throwing the towel in , in January I would not have brought a season ticket! Look what Bolton did and were they are now!

Exactly ,Good example

No, if isn't. They had a much stronger squad and they need promotion. Evatt knew his, job was under threat if they didn't climb the table, Clough was given the task of avoiding relegation and preparing for a fight for promotion in Spring 2022. This has been said many times and is being ignored by those with an axe to grind. How about answering all of the points you missed in your original post, Diablo?
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:20 am

georgefostersbeard wrote:So someone who currently only moans about the football and Clough starts another new thread supposedly to discuss Clough and Sharp's business but forgets to mention:
- the signing of Lapslie which is a great, bit of business
- the injuries to Sarkic and Cain
- the emergence of Law and Sinclair
- the offloading of Cook and Maynard for both footballing and financial reasons
- the club's only aim for Clough of staying up

We missed out on two signings and Sharp will learn from that but January is a time when some managers waste a lot of money.

Another hatchet job, move on

Brilliant post, and imo exactly my thinking. It’s all geared towards the summer transfer business!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:52 am

If we avoid relegation 4 clubs will be promoted, 20 like us will start 2021/22 in league 2 and we would have done it by cutting our cloth accordingly, Cook and Maynard have no future with the Stags, but because of events in January Law and Sinclair could have a future and with no fans, what a time to evaluate the club,
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:38 pm

January what a disastrous time, can't believe we've been relegated. Clough out
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:51 pm

Nigel
Have a drink tonight young man !!
You’ve earned it
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:04 pm

m1cksut wrote:
diablo wrote:
Norman wrote:

Exactly ,Good example

hmmm, one never happy "supporter" and one still angry because he couldnt buy the club.

You must be joking! I'm happy I didnt buy the club , you won't find a better Chairman than the present one
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby Torrystag » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:17 pm

Jobs done now lets move on
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby m1cksut » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:43 am

diablo wrote:
m1cksut wrote:
diablo wrote:
Norman wrote:

Exactly ,Good example

You must be joking! I'm happy I didnt buy the club , you won't find a better Chairman than the present one

so are we. it needed someone with a big bank balance, not a big ego.
my one regret is...i have no regrets!
m1cksut
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum