{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

George Reynolds RIP (Former Safecracker and Darlo Chairman)

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

George Reynolds RIP (Former Safecracker and Darlo Chairman)

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:49 am

George Reynolds, the former safecracker and Darlo Chairman has died aged 83. The man who built a £25 million 25,000 seater stadium for Darlington and was once worth £250 million but ended up being made bankrupt and being jailed for tax evasion.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/ ... oard-king/

https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/sport/192 ... olds-dies/
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Re: George Reynolds RIP (Former Safecracker and Darlo Chairm

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:38 am

Condolences to his family and friends but he was a wrong un.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:31 pm

Reading those articles ,he has certainly lived a life came from absolute poverty and made his mark in life , he made mistakes but my god shook a few people up along his way maybe not so much a wrong un ,but a bit of a rogue
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby eggy » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:02 pm

Well that obituary was an interesting read, didn't know half of his story before I saw that.

Had to laugh, out of all the ridiculousness of the Reynolds Arena saga, self-flushing urinals were a sign of opulence in Darlington. :lol:
eggy
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:12 pm

That Darlington stadium was very impressive, nowhere near appropriate but impressive . Not sure if it was his debut or not but it was the first time I saw Nathan Arnold play.He looked like he would go on to achieve far more than he actually did.
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:17 pm

went past it last year when i picked my Mrs new car up, looked like it had little businesses working from the stands
still looked a crackin stadium have to say
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:46 pm

Best part about it when I went in NL they only used one side of t'ground and couldn't fill that.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Bandy Andy » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:23 am

Some time ago I remember seeing figures comparing clubs average gate over the season against total capacity. Some big name teams or those with smaller grounds were often full to capacity, but for a while, I think Darlington had the lowest utilisation of any professional club in England. Big ground, low attendance, plenty of empty space.
Bandy Andy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:27 am

Bandy Andy wrote:Some time ago I remember seeing figures comparing clubs average gate over the season against total capacity. Some big name teams or those with smaller grounds were often full to capacity, but for a while, I think Darlington had the lowest utilisation of any professional club in England. Big ground, low attendance, plenty of empty space.

And for this very reason JR has got it spot on regarding a new stand on the Bishop Street side. It would be a waste of half a million quid or more. Definitely worth it if we’re somewhere near the top of league 1 but not right now.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Curry 9 Brace 7 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:48 pm

i remember george reynolds signing marco gabbiandini, he was on 12k a week !! didnt get that at Derby . anyway went up to Feethams old ground to see stags Gabby was in his element, think they beat us 5-0, Gabby hat trick. They got to play off final but lost. First time i went to new ground they had some 6foot speakers blasting out ian brown stone roses. Cool.
Curry 9 Brace 7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby one f in mansfield » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:33 pm

First Football league game played on a Sunday was at Fleethams . There were people and preachers there with the old sandwich boards proclaiming the end of the world was nigh .

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/ne ... /807574538

Just noticed the entry fee was £1.20
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:48 pm

one f in mansfield wrote:First Football league game played on a Sunday was at Fleethams . There were people and preachers there with the old sandwich boards proclaiming the end of the world was nigh .

Looks like the late Chris Taylor near the turnstile
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:36 pm

Beano wrote:
one f in mansfield wrote:First Football league game played on a Sunday was at Fleethams . There were people and preachers there with the old sandwich boards proclaiming the end of the world was nigh .

Yes I'm sure it is, just under and to the right of the £1.20 sign.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:02 pm

Yes I think that’s him.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:06 pm

Definitely Chris. Also looks like Chris Felton on the right near the entrance too.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby groundhoppingstag » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:09 pm

Rob wrote:
Beano wrote:

Yes I'm sure it is, just under and to the right of the £1.20 sign.

The famous Feethams Twin Towers.

Watched Stags play there eighteen times.
groundhoppingstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:40 pm

Never made it to Feethams. I would have loved to have gone.

I think the Stags lost 2-1 there when we won the Division 4 Championship in 1974-1975 and the highlights were on Tyne Tees TV. It was also the only away programme that season that I could not get a copy of. I wrote to Darlington and programme suppliers sending my postal orders and a stamped self addressed envelope but nobody had one. I recently bought a copy off ebay to complete my collection for that season 45 years later.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:53 pm

I went one year when on my upgrading course in Catterick. Early in the season because there was a cricket match being played too on the adjoining pitch.
I remember laughing that the crowd changed ends at half time.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:58 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Never made it to Feethams. I would have loved to have gone.

I think the Stags lost 2-1 there when we won the Division 4 Championship in 1974-1975 and the highlights were on Tyne Tees TV. It was also the only away programme that season that I could not get a copy of. I wrote to Darlington and programme suppliers sending my postal orders and a stamped self addressed envelope but nobody had one. I recently bought a copy off ebay to complete my collection for that season 45 years later.

Surprised at that Darren. I went lots of times, a few with FTYBR when we had a game organised, a few with the aforementioned Chris and lots of times as a dual visit to the in-laws who lived in Bishop. I thought the ground was rubbish, no atmosphere, open away end and even worse when they moved us into a sheep pen on the side. New stadium was fantastic, huge video screen and 23,000 brand new empty seats.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:09 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Never made it to Feethams. I would have loved to have gone.

That 1974/5 game was my one and only visit to Feethams.

Can’t remember much except we lost 2-1 near to the end of the season.

The other memory is that my best mate didn’t go to the game as he had to go to his engagement party that his wife to be had organised.

We all said that he was ‘under the thumb’ and we wouldn’t get like that, little did we know we would all get like that a few years later.

They are still together 46 years later and after 44 years of marriage. I married her cousin and we are still married after 42 years.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:03 pm

Elton John holds the record attendance at that new stadium, 17,000 for a concert in 2008. The highest football attendance was the first game in there against Kidderminster in 2003 at 11,600. They then had a 10,000 restriction after that which apparently they could apply for increases on a one off basis, but they never needed to.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:57 pm

I went to the 3pm Easter Saturday game back.in 2004. I did not plan to go until the last minute. I was at work that Saturday morning and scheduled to finish at 1pm. Luckily we managed to finish work at 12.30. A quick check on qjump website and a 13.09 train from Chesterfield to Darlington was targeted. I got a lift from South Normanton to Chesterfield arriving with minutes to spare. Luckily the train was ontime arriving at Darlington at 14:40. A quick taxi and into the ground at 14:55. Great day but lost 1 nil. Things have regressed as that train journey now takes around 2 hours!!.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby stag861 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:53 am

Curry 9 Brace 7 wrote:i remember george reynolds signing marco gabbiandini, he was on 12k a week !! didnt get that at Derby . anyway went up to Feethams old ground to see stags Gabby was in his element, think they beat us 5-0, Gabby hat trick. They got to play off final but lost. First time i went to new ground they had some 6foot speakers blasting out ian brown stone roses. Cool.

I went to that playoff final. My mate (now a Stags season ticket holder) was a Darlo supporter via a very tenuous link. They lost to Peterborough with Barry Fry as manager. It absolutely tipped it down & some wanted it postponed as England were due to play Brazil the next day and the didn't want the pitch cut up.
As an aside another mate had a kitchen business in Newcastle. Those in that trade were "persuaded" to buy their units from Reynolds.
Per crassum et tenues
stag861
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:57 pm

ST4GS wrote:I went to the 3pm Easter Saturday game back.in 2004. I did not plan to go until the last minute. I was at work that Saturday morning and scheduled to finish at 1pm. Luckily we managed to finish work at 12.30. A quick check on qjump website and a 13.09 train from Chesterfield to Darlington was targeted. I got a lift from South Normanton to Chesterfield arriving with minutes to spare. Luckily the train was ontime arriving at Darlington at 14:40. A quick taxi and into the ground at 14:55. Great day but lost 1 nil. Things have regressed as that train journey now takes around 2 hours!!.

Taxi ? It’s a five minute walk :D

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum