{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Time to vote for Chad Stags Player of the Year

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Time to vote for Chad Stags Player of the Year

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:43 pm

Oldamber55 wrote:To be fair .. it would be easier to vote for the worst player of the season !!!

I'll take it you're a glass half empty person then
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Oldamber55 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:16 pm

No just being realistic Lol! And let’s be honest it would difficult picking a player this season .... Reid anyone?
Oldamber55
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:06 pm

Oldamber55 wrote:No just being realistic Lol! And let’s be honest it would difficult picking a player this season .... Reid anyone?

Sarkic? Jake Wright? Hardly fair because they hardly played

Stech hasn't been as good as I thought he would be. O'Keefe more disappointing than worst player of the season, he looked decent in the first few games of the season and then we've barely seen him since.

I wouldn't say Reid has been the worst player this season
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:13 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Rob wrote:Rawson for me, who interestingly is in Martins below average group :lol: I think he has had an outstanding end to the season, very consistent - Bowery a close second, he just needs a goal scoring strike partner.

I don't think we've had a single outstanding player, some have played well in patches but over the whole season its really hard to pick one.

and the fans average too. I suspect you have blocked out the first half of the season.

Not at all, very few have had consistent seasons but your ratings appear to suggest he has been below average for the season as a whole, which I would dispute. Rawson appears in many people's thoughts for overall player of the year, as does Bowery who made an equally poor start to the season. Well done to both of them for making such a significant improvement and I am sure many will take that into consideration when making their vote, it was an important factor for me anyway :D
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:29 pm

Rob wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
Rob wrote:Rawson for me, who interestingly is in Martins below average group :lol: I think he has had an outstanding end to the season, very consistent - Bowery a close second, he just needs a goal scoring strike partner.

I don't think we've had a single outstanding player, some have played well in patches but over the whole season its really hard to pick one.

and the fans average too. I suspect you have blocked out the first half of the season.

Not at all, very few have had consistent seasons but your ratings appear to suggest he has been below average for the season as a whole, which I would dispute. Rawson appears in many people's thoughts for overall player of the year, as does Bowery who made an equally poor start to the season. Well done to both of them for making such a significant improvement and I am sure many will take that into consideration when making their vote, it was an important factor for me anyway :D

as I've pointed out, the fans ratings collated by eggy, is the same. Are they all wrong?

Perhaps Pete can give us the average ratings for Rawson for the first half of the season and the last half.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Spiritater » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:33 pm

Racking my brains to pick anyone from this lot really.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:39 pm

Spiritater wrote:Racking my brains to pick anyone from this lot really.

Lapslie? Quinn? Perch? Bowery?

It's been a crap season, but we've still had some really good performances by these players
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:47 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:

It's been a crap season, but we've still had some really good performances by these players

Was about to post same. Different ethos since Clough came in
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:58 pm

Player of the Season
Jordan Bowery ;)
followed by, Stephen Quinn, George Lapslie, George Maris,

Most disappointing players of the season
Marek Stech, Ollie Clarke (captain), Nicky Maynard
Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:00 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:

Wow, we've just at the moment slipped to 4th bottom of a shockingly bad league and people think "really good performances".

Lapslies hardly played, Quinn's hardly played, Perch has played in several positions very averagely and Bowery is just Tommy tank. The last two are a huge part of why we are were we are, rubbish.
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:06 pm

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Wow, we've just at the moment slipped to 4th bottom of a shockingly bad league and people think "really good performances".

Lapslies hardly played, Quinn's hardly played, Perch has played in several positions very averagely and Bowery is just Tommy tank. The last two are a huge part of why we are were we are, rubbish.

Opinions. I disagree with yours.

I'm sure Lapslie has played about 25 games this season, not really hardly played is it? Quinn has played nearly every game since signing and looks a good player who we should sign for next season. Perch and Bowery are not the reason we are where we are, they'll have had bad games this season like every player but I think our old manager probably had a lot to do with our league position and not being able to win a single game in 12 or so outings?

Who's your best player of the season? I bet you'll come back with something dead clever, like "nobody"
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:41 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

I'm sure Lapslie has played about 25 games this season, not really hardly played is it? Quinn has played nearly every game since signing and looks a good player who we should sign for next season. Perch and Bowery are not the reason we are where we are, they'll have had bad games this season like every player but I think our old manager probably had a lot to do with our league position and not being able to win a single game in 12 or so outings?

Who's your best player of the season? I bet you'll come back with something dead clever, like "nobody"

Of course you disagree, you're one of those blinkered fans that even if we finished rock bottom 20 pts adrift you'd think there were some good performances.

Nobody and thats not clever, its my opinion. They've all been rubbish.
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:52 pm

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Of course you disagree, you're one of those blinkered fans that even if we finished rock bottom 20 pts adrift you'd think there were some good performances.

Nobody and thats not clever, its my opinion. They've all been rubbish.

Yeah I definitely wouldn't be gutted we'd have been relegated 20 points a drift. Watching Lapslie stroll around and bag a few would well make up for that.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:15 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Rob wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

as I've pointed out, the fans ratings collated by eggy, is the same. Are they all wrong?

Perhaps Pete can give us the average ratings for Rawson for the first half of the season and the last half.

I have not said they are wrong Martin, I have said they are not the sole basis for making a decision on player of the year. I would not vote for Lapslie on the basis that he has not played enough of the season to warrant it, albeit he did do very well prior to his injury. He has not been the same since returning to the side. This is purely a subjective decision, Rawson has played 16 more games than Lapslie and has made a significant improvement under the new manager. All those being discussed are worthy of discussion, the likes of Maris, Perch and Bowery have all done very well. Your comments seem to suggest Rawson is not worthy, which I think is wrong and very unfair.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:16 pm

Rob wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
Rob wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

I have not said they are wrong Martin, I have said they are not the sole basis for making a decision on player of the year. I would not vote for Lapslie on the basis that he has not played enough of the season to warrant it, albeit he did do very well prior to his injury. He has not been the same since returning to the side. This is purely a subjective decision, Rawson has played 16 more games than Lapslie and has made a significant improvement under the new manager. All those being discussed are worthy of discussion, the likes of Maris, Perch and Bowery have all done very well. Your comments seem to suggest Rawson is not worthy, which I think is wrong and very unfair.

imo Rawson was a liability under GC and seemed like he always had a clanger waiting to happen but he has been much improved under Clough. He wouldn't get my vote for player of the season though, but that's just me
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:37 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:imo Rawson was a liability under GC and seemed like he always had a clanger waiting to happen but he has been much improved under Clough. He wouldn't get my vote for player of the season though, but that's just me

I can understand that, it is true he did make mistakes early on and was far from the only one, my sole reasoning is that he has gone from that to our most consistent defender, probably helped by Perch it has to be said. As I say, who folk vote for as their player of the year is subjective and we all have our own criteria on which we base our decisions, in what has been a terrible season not one of our players has been good all season so it then is a matter of whether you vote for those who joined later or those who have improved the most. For me, his improvement has been very impressive and I suspect not many would not retain him now, 3 or 4 months ago you'd struggle to find many who'd keep him. Similar story for Bowery, who had his own thread early on which was not very complementary :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:10 pm

over the course of the season, in my opinion Rawson has made too many errors to be a serious candidate for player of the season, and this is reflected in the fans average ratings as well as mine. But it's for everyone to make their own decision and then the votes get totted up, so we'll see.

In my opinion, Lapslie has been our best player this season.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:41 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:over the course of the season, in my opinion Rawson has made too many errors to be a serious candidate for player of the season, and this is reflected in the fans average ratings as well as mine. But it's for everyone to make their own decision and then the votes get totted up, so we'll see.

In my opinion, Lapslie has been our best player this season.

Half a season .....
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Oldamber55 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:40 am

Well it’ll be very interesting to see who gets the most votes & who eventually wins the player of the season? Because not one player stands out .... this must be the first season I’ve not been able to pick one... ?
Oldamber55
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Tess Tickle » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:50 am

Rawson for me . Purely for his consistent no nonsense performances under NC.
Shining light Jason Law a close second.
Tess Tickle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:51 am

Very tough choice

My current top rated players for league games only are:

Tyrese Sinclair 8.5
Stephen Quinn 7.8
Ollie Clarke 7.34
Farrend Rawson 7.23
George Maris 7.18
Ryan Sweeney 7.16
James Perch 7.1
Mal Benning 7.1
Jordan Bowery 6.98
George Lapslie 6.9

Stephen Quinn would be my player of the season based on my ratings but he has only played 16 games and we have only won 3 of them. My next top rated player is Ollie Clarke but he has only made 25 starts. He played really well against Salford in early Jan and as an early sub against Walsall in Feb but he’s been a bit hit and miss since then and has not shown the same energy and drive.

I’ve got Farrend Rawson as being partly responsible for 16 goals (only 9 under Nigel Clough). Some of those are a bit harsh such as Bradford City away where he only lost one header all night and he played well. I gave him MOM and a 8.5 for that game but Martin only gave him a 5 ;) :) . Crawley away was also harsh as Kellan Gordon and Marek Stech should have stopped the goal.

I will probably therefore have to go for George Maris who has started 34 games. He made a slow start to the season in his first 6/7 games but kicked into gear against Cheltenham away and he has been pretty consistent since then. He’s only had the odd below average game such as on Saturday against Newport. His rating would also be above Farrend Rawson if I discounted the Bradford away game where he limped off injured after 20 minutes.

I have noted over the seasons that Martin tends to be a harder on defenders than midfield players and forwards. I don't think he's alone though in doing this. When things are going well, the attackers tend to take the glory but when we are struggling it is defenders and keepers that take the blame. Perhaps I am more generous to defenders :lol:

Farrend Rawson has made 40 starts so should receive an award as Clubman of the Season.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Nutty Stag » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:00 am

The only consistent performer this season has been the corner flag nearest the tunnel with the scoreboard a close second.
Nutty Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:03 am

George Lapslie.

For his form and impact around Christmas.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:11 pm

Whoscored ratings 14/04/21

George Lapslie 6.89
James Perch 6.88
Ryan Sweeney 6.86
Rollin Menayese 6.85 (6.83 rating for Grimsby)
George Maris 6.83
Ollie Clarke 6.82
Malvind Benning 6.82
Stephen Quinn 6.78
Farrend Rawson 6.78
Stephen McLaughlin 6.77
Jordan Bowery 6.76
Harry Charsley 6.71
Kellan Gordon 6.66
Corey O'Keeffe 6.65
Marek Stech 6.63
Jason Law 6.57
Andy Cook 6.56 (7.06 rating for Bradford)
Jamie Reid 6.51
Nicky Maynard 6.33 (6.48 rating for Newport)
Aidan Stone 6.21
Tyrese Sinclair 6.12
Oliver Sarkic 6.06
Keaton Ward 6.03
Jake Wright 5.93
Alistair Smith 5.77
Aaron O'Driscoll 5.69
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:38 pm

All opinions of course but the fact Rawson is being mentioned in a player of the season discussion boggles the mind. Was an absolute liability first half of the season, and since Clough has come in has taken the step up to 'average'. :lol:
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum