{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Time to vote for Chad Stags Player of the Year

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Time to vote for Chad Stags Player of the Year

Postby part time pete » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:54 pm

Should there be a minimum number of games that a player starts before being considered for the player of the season award?
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:54 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Rob wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:thanks Pete. As I expected about Rawson, and fits with my memory of how the season has gone. Everyone makes up their own mind, but just to ignore the first part of the season in a player of the season competition doesn't make sense to me.

Except for those who want to vote for Rawson :lol: We don't have a most improved award, that's why Rawson gets it for me, I am struggling to see why you cannot understand that reasoning. People have voted for Bowery for precisely the same reason. Voting for either of those two makes just as much sense (if not more) as voting for someone who has barely played half the season ......

If you're looking at the improved player of the season, then Rawson and Bowery are the top two. I would completely agree with that.

In my opinion, that is not what a player of the season is. But everyone can have their own opinion on how to define it and vote accordingly. In my opinion, the first 10 games a player plays count as much as the last 10 games he plays. And it comes down to who has been the best player overall, taking everything into account. I'm not telling anyone how to vote, just saying how I decide my choice.

I know you are Martin :D I would not vote for Lapslie or Quinn on the grounds they have only played half the season though both have been generally excellent, we all have our own subjective methods. It's been a terrible season, one of the worst ever, can't wait until its over and we can get back to the Mill with a new squad and hopefully a challenge at the right end of the table.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:55 pm

part time pete wrote:Should there be a minimum number of games that a player starts before being considered for the player of the season award?

I reckon about 30, so approx. two thirds. However, that is also subjective :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:00 pm

Just remember that it’s hard to soar like an eagle when you’re surrounded by s**tehawks
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:04 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:but just to ignore the first part of the season in a player of the season competition doesn't make sense to me.

...but it's ok to ignore the fact that a player has not played for the equivalent of half a season? :lol:
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:09 pm

Rob wrote:
part time pete wrote:Should there be a minimum number of games that a player starts before being considered for the player of the season award?

I reckon about 30, so approx. two thirds. However, that is also subjective :lol:

I think a player needs to have started around 30 league games or more to be considered as player of the season. Therefore the candidates are:

Farrend Rawson 40(0)
Jordan Bowery 35(3)
George Maris 34(1)
Harry Charsley 32(6)

The following players could also still make 30 league starts:

Jamie Reid 28(6)
Ryan Sweeney 28(3)
Kellan Gordon 27(2)
James Perch 26(1)
Mal Benning 25(7)
Ollie Clarke 25(5)
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:21 pm

Didn’t Jack Thomas win player of the season after playing about 10 games?
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:00 pm

I think also you have to take into account that someone like Faz who has played 40 times is always going to make more mistakes than someone who has only played 20 times. Also his position comes into play as well as defenders are left exposed by midfielders sometimes too.

Regarding mistakes it’s not always easy to blame one player. A lot of people were blaming Stoney for conceding the goal against Newport. But he wouldn’t have been put into that situation had Maris not made the initial mistake by losing the ball to Labadie in the first place.

There’s a lot of things to consider as well as a lot of subjective things to think about too.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:34 pm

Dan wrote:I think also you have to take into account that someone like Faz who has played 40 times is always going to make more mistakes than someone who has only played 20 times.

Regarding mistakes it’s not always easy to blame one player. A lot of people were blaming Stoney for conceding the goal against Newport. But he wouldn’t have been put into that situation had Maris not made the initial mistake by losing the ball to Labadie in the first place.

There’s a lot of things to consider as well as a lot of subjective things to think about too.

on your first point, that's why using averages is helpful, in my opinion

on your second point, yes, joint responsibility for Maris and Stone for the goal against Newport.

on your third point, yes agreed. Overall it should be the best player, who has made a significant contribution to the season. For me, that's Lapslie, who from the beginning of November to the end of January completely turned our season around.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Hjeldefan » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:48 pm

Be nice if the disagreements next year were about who was our best player rather than 'who is the least bad' :lol:Not really sure there is a particularly strong argument for anyone this time around
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:24 am

Well we didn't win a game in the the first quarter (or so) of the season. We kinda have to ignore that section. For player of the season after a start like that it does become a most improved of the season award because that basically how our season went. Or a least amount of errors award.

It's been so long since we've had such a truly poor season to then pick a player of the season award. Last season was cut short so there was no award. Since our return to the league, bar 2 seasons, we've been mid table. Even at mid table there's at least a stand out player or 2.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:26 am

Martin Shaw wrote: For me, that's Lapslie, who from the beginning of November to the end of January completely turned our season around.

George Lapslie has only started 22 games and he was sent off in his first game at Bradford City and did not make much of an impact at Cheltenham away and Barrow at home. He also limped off injured at Walsall away and has been below his best in his last three starts. He therefore made an impact in 15 games from Walsall at home on 31st October to Southend away and those 15 games included Harrogate and Carlisle away where he was below average.

George Lapslie did play in all five consecutive league wins but so did Farrend Rawson, Ryan Sweeney, George Maris, Harry Charsley, Jordan Bowery and Jamie Reid so they could also argue that they played a major part in turning our season around.

I think George Maris, Jordan Bowery and Farrend Rawson are better candidates than Lapslie for player of the season.

Jordan Bowery has strong claims as he has started 35 games, played in all 9 league wins and scored 10 goals. He scored 8 goals in 5 of our 9 league wins. He also has 5 assists but has probably been involved in the build up to more goals than that.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:10 pm

John Redford for sacking GC.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:39 pm

Big yella wrote:John Redford for sacking GC.

Is he an actor like his brother Robert? ;)
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:59 am

Dan wrote:
Big yella wrote:John Redford for sacking GC.

Is he an actor like his brother Robert? ;)

Short fat fingers, small phone screen, predictive text and no glasses bad combo. :oops:

Glasses, laptop and zoom a much better one. :thumbup:
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:15 pm

Based upon the way that we have had to watch the Stags this season, please do not take offence Martin, which in my mind is not conducive to picking a player of the season I find it rather hard to put many names forward. We see what any tv fan sees, we don’t see the off the ball movement, the runs in and behind, the petulance of pushes and shoves, the movement and interplay with other players and for that reason I am picking my player of the season based upon a totally differing criteria.

I am basing my selection on hope, more the future and what he symbolises for the manager and next season. George Lapslie, for when we signed him on loan we were at a very low ebb and he was instrumental in turning our fears into hopes, our impending revisiting of Meadow Lane with the need not to travel down the A60 next season. He played well on loan, so well in fact that other clubs were casting their eyes over him. But by signing for us he signified that yet again as a Stags Fan the future could be brighter and more hopeful. He signed for Clough, John Radford and us and in doing so moved his young family up here to build a future for himself and vicariously us also.

He is missed when he doesn’t start, the results speak for themselves and anyone who has played the game will know that when you look around the changing room there is always one or two players that you see and think, ‘yep, we have a chance today’. George, is that man and for what his actions on the pitch have done and what he has pledged his future to achieve, with us, makes him my player of the season.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby west country stag » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:12 am

Rawson
WEST COUNTRY'S No 1 FAN
....... ALL RIGHT MI DUCK ......
west country stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:21 am

Which player has had the biggest impact on us surviving? That should be the player of the season imo. Bowery certainly came up with a few crucial goals. Lapslie maybe gave us a bit of a spark when needed and Rawson has definitely become more solid. Any other players?
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:23 am

cassellswasmagic wrote:Which player has had the biggest impact on us surviving? That should be the player of the season imo. Bowery certainly came up with a few crucial goals. Lapslie maybe gave us a bit of a spark when needed and Rawson has definitely become more solid. Any other players?

Bowery or Lapslie in response to your question
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby DURHAM STAG » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:24 am

I've voted for James Perch. Probably our most consistent defender as all around him, mistakes were being made on a regular basis. Hope he and Quinn are kept for next season.
DURHAM STAG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:35 am

Latest Who Scored Ratings

Ryan Sweeney has gone top after his goal and defensive performance on Saturday

Ryan Sweeney 6.91
George Lapslie 6.88
James Perch 6.88
Rollin Menayese 6.85
George Maris 6.84
Malvind Benning 6.82
Ollie Clarke 6.81
Stephen McLaughlin 6.79
Farrend Rawson 6.78
Stephen Quinn 6.78
Jordan Bowery 6.75
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:40 am

My Top Rated Players

Tyrese Sinclair 8
Stephen Quinn 7.78
Ollie Clarke 7.37
George Maris 7.25
Farrend Rawson 7.25
Ryan Sweeney 7.25
James Perch 7.14
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:44 am

Latest Who Scored Ratings

James Perch has gone top after his goal and assist last night although did Jamie Reid get a little touch on his cross for the first goal?

James Perch 6.95
George Lapslie 6.93
Ryan Sweeney 6.93
George Maris 6.87
Rollin Menayese 6.85
Ollie Clarke 6.82
Malvind Benning 6.82
Stephen McLaughlin 6.79
Farrend Rawson 6.78
Stephen Quinn 6.78
Jordan Bowery 6.74
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Arnolds Rod » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:52 am

DURHAM STAG wrote:I've voted for James Perch. Probably our most consistent defender as all around him, mistakes were being made on a regular basis. Hope he and Quinn are kept for next season.

Totally agree. You can tell he's played at a higher level. He'd be the first name on the retained list.
Arnolds Rod
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:03 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Latest Who Scored Ratings

James Perch has gone top after his goal and assist last night although did Jamie Reid get a little touch on his cross for the first goal?

James Perch 6.95
George Lapslie 6.93
Ryan Sweeney 6.93
George Maris 6.87
Rollin Menayese 6.85
Ollie Clarke 6.82
Malvind Benning 6.82
Stephen McLaughlin 6.79
Farrend Rawson 6.78
Stephen Quinn 6.78
Jordan Bowery 6.74

It won’t be classed as an assist as it was the defender who played the ball against Lapslie.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum