{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

vintage Stags: Charlie Bell

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

vintage Stags: Charlie Bell

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:36 pm

on facebook, Kevin Bird's wife Sue mentioned she had been in touch with Charlie Bell, who played for us between 1981-83.

I posted a photo of one of Charlie's goals.

Charlie asked if I had photos of any of his other goals, so I've dug them all out and posted them here:

https://stagsnet.net/vintage/reports/CharlieBell.htm

Plenty more vintage Stags stuff here for anyone interested: https://stagsnet.net/vintage/reports/reports.html
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: vintage Stags: Charlie Bell

Postby georgefostersbeard » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:09 pm

I love his Wikipedia page which includes

Currently the President of Saltburn Golf Club. He now insists that his family and friends address him as El Presidente and can only see him if they make an appointment through his PA (formerly known as wife).
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:01 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:I love his Wikipedia page which includes

Currently the President of Saltburn Golf Club. He now insists that his family and friends address him as El Presidente and can only see him if they make an appointment through his PA (formerly known as wife).

Charlie always looked like he could have been a great player but never quite made it for some reason, he was a favourite of mine and I'll always remember the 80's hair do's from that era :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:39 pm

I remember him along with Gary Nicholson & Simon Woodhead (they all looked and played quite similar). I'm surprised his career was so short. He was actually an OK footballer ... he just happened to be around at a bad time (part of the Boam era) - and then Ian Greaves brought in his players. I guess the likes of Mick Vinter, Kevin Kent etc. who were a level above.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby PaulG » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:21 pm

Charlie Bell had the misfortune to be a Stag during the most depressing couple of seasons (bar a couple in the Conference) in my 58 years supporting them. The football was dire, and attendances hovered around the two thousand mark, sometimes dipping to fifteen hundred or lower. He, along with one or two others, such as Dave Caldwell, was a good player in an awful team. I remember his last match for us, at home to Aldershot, when he scored, and was the best player on the pitch. I'm pretty sure he'd already been told he wasn't being retained because, at full time, he looked despondent, and waved his goodbyes.
PaulG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby georgefostersbeard » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:32 pm

Vice President wrote:I remember him along with Gary Nicholson & Simon Woodhead (they all looked and played quite similar). I'm surprised his career was so short. He was actually an OK footballer ... he just happened to be around at a bad time (part of the Boam era) - and then Ian Greaves brought in his players. I guess the likes of Mick Vinter, Kevin Kent etc. who were a level above.

Simon Woodhead was a player whilst I went into my teens so my memories of him are probably highly rose tinted but I never understood why he didn't seem to go anywhere in the game after 100+ matches for us. He is one of the players I still remember vividly from the pre Greaves days
Was he injured or was he not as good as I thought?
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum