{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stevenage game will be moved ... now 12.30 on Sat

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Stevenage game will be moved

Postby yellowstagsfan » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:07 am

A lot of posters on here have no respect for anything or anyone.
He was a national figure, like him or not.
Please show him and his family the respect they deserve
I am neither a royalist or republican but to move a simple football match kick off time by a few hours is the very least we can do.
Have some dignity and respect your country's history and tradition
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby julianshatnasty » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:08 am

Blimey, people crying and angry cos they might miss a football match. I'm no royalist but who gives a fluck, you're only gonna shout at them for being useless anyway. There's probably fifty games a season until you'll die, I'm sure you'll catch some of those.
julianshatnasty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:49 am

It’s not only ‘moving a simple football match’ is it?

It’s changing three divisions worth of fixtures which is likely to disrupt the plans of the clubs and their employees whilst also creating difficulties for fans to see the game.

There are also no nasty, disrespectful or angry comments. Just frustration based upon being coerced to mourn instead of using free time to enjoy watching the stags or whatever other team people support.

Bear in mind that clubs have spent much of the season playing with players missing with COVID, because there is no room in the calendar to re-arrange fixtures.

It’s a farce
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:51 am

kevin kents tasce wrote:It’s not only ‘moving a simple football match’ is it?

It’s changing three divisions worth of fixtures which is likely to disrupt the plans of the clubs and their employees whilst also creating difficulties for fans to see the game.

There are also no nasty, disrespectful or angry comments. Just frustration based upon being coerced to mourn instead of using free time to enjoy watching the stags or whatever other team people support.

Bear in mind that clubs have spent much of the season playing with players missing with COVID, because there is no room in the calendar to re-arrange fixtures.

It’s a farce

Spoilt brat idiot alert
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:54 am

I agree Parky. To expect all this fuss for one persons funeral is a bit spoilt
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:45 pm

Peterborough have moved their game to Friday night.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:58 pm

It’s a farce

Calling the move of the fixtures nonsense or a farce is respectful is it? You’re not being coerced to mourn either. Do what you like come next Saturday at 3. Stamp your little feet but you won’t be watching football.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:06 pm

I’ll call it the ‘Belly Experience”. I won’t watch football on a Saturday afternoon and then pop on here calling everyone names :lol:
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:10 pm

Its not disrespectful to think a football match being moved is over the top. I find it very sad he died, but no more sad than the hundreds who die every day. If people want to watch a funeral...watch it. If they want to watch a football match however, the option should be there.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:12 pm

This moving the game has happened before. We had to play Friday night when Diana’s funeral was on the Saturday
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:15 pm

Hjeldefan wrote:Its not disrespectful to think a football match being moved is over the top. I find it very sad he died, but no more sad than the hundreds who die every day. If people want to watch a funeral...watch it. If they want to watch a football match however, the option should be there.

I agree with this 100%
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:24 pm

It’s a farce

And you are a disappointing disgrace, like that or not.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:11 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:
Hjeldefan wrote:Its not disrespectful to think a football match being moved is over the top. I find it very sad he died, but no more sad than the hundreds who die every day. If people want to watch a funeral...watch it. If they want to watch a football match however, the option should be there.

I agree with this 100%

We now have a pair of idiots.

What don't they get that the option to watch will still be there, whether it be Friday night or just a few hours earlier Saturday dinner time!!!!!!
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:27 pm

Give over with the insults Parky. They’re not necessary and it makes you come across as being a bit daft.

Some people work or plan other commitments on Friday evenings and Saturday mornings. For years I have organised my time to be able to watch the Stags at 3pm on a Saturday, as have many others.

Retail and hospitality is also now reopened which means other family members might also be returning to work too, which also restricts people from watching at other times.

33 football league matches are being rearranged. That’s a lot of fans, players and staff being put out.

There are 168 hours in the week, why ever they have chosen 3pm on a Saturday to have the funeral is beyond me. It is the time when millions of people watch English football.

It would have been better at 10am in a Sunday morning.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:43 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:Give over with the insults Parky. They’re not necessary and it makes you come across as being a bit daft.

Some people work or plan other commitments on Friday evenings and Saturday mornings. For years I have organised my time to be able to watch the Stags at 3pm on a Saturday, as have many others.

Retail and hospitality is also now reopened which means other family members might also be returning to work too, which also restricts people from watching at other times.

33 football league matches are being rearranged. That’s a lot of fans, players and staff being put out.

There are 168 hours in the week, why ever they have chosen 3pm on a Saturday to have the funeral is beyond me. It is the time when millions of people watch English football.

Oh by goodness. I don’t even know where to start.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:54 pm

Please do Belly. I’m always open to reasoned debate.

There is a theory that the reasons for moving games is less about a mark of respect and more about the EFL worrying about lost revenues if people choose not to subscribe to the game on IFollow, in favour of the funeral.

I’m also interested in whether or not the premier league follow suit as they have a game scheduled which international audiences will be expecting to watch. I’m not sure if their revenues would be affected should the game be changed?

The other feeling going around social media is how the gesture might be considered to undermine footballs anti-racism agenda. I don’t personally subscribe to this opinion, but the very fact that people are talking about it makes it a relevant point of discussion.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:58 pm

It is the correct decision as this is the funeral of the consort to the Queen who is the Head of our State. It is, therefore, only to be expected that the funeral would be at a peak time. Particularly when there was such pageantry over Princess Diana who was not even a Royal. It would be completely naive to expect anything else.
I do, cynically, subscribe to the belief that the decision is as much a business decision by EFL as marking protocol.
As a Republican, I would happily do without the monarchy but the largest opinion poll finding in favour of a republic was 22% last year with 65% of the respondents wanted the monarchy to continue.

So protocol dictates it should happen and public opinion seems to back it.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:05 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:Give over with the insults Parky. They’re not necessary and it makes you come across as being a bit daft.

You're the daft one. Read GFBs post its not hard to fathom why it's been moved and in a strange one off season of rearrangements at short notice its not even short notice this time!!
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:31 pm

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:

I agree with this 100%

What don't they get that the option to watch will still be there, whether it be Friday night or just a few hours earlier Saturday dinner time!!!!!!

An idiot for having a different opinion. Lovely.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:44 pm

I can remember Princess Di's funeral being in the morning. Wikipedia says it started at 9.08am and the ceremony in Westminster Abbey was at 11.00am.

We played Doncaster Rovers at home on the Friday night in a 1-1 draw in front of a crowd of 2,874. Trevor Christie scored.

Is that right Pete?
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:47 pm

Hjeldefan wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:

I agree with this 100%

An idiot for having a different opinion. Lovely.

It's not opinion, it's a fact the option to watch is still there, comprende
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:06 pm

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:

I agree with this 100%

First time ive had a ringside seat for a spat on stagsnet :D
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:17 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I can remember Princess Di's funeral being in the morning. Wikipedia says it started at 9.08am and the ceremony in Westminster Abbey was at 11.00am.

We played Doncaster Rovers at home on the Friday night in a 1-1 draw in front of a crowd of 2,874. Trevor Christie scored.

Is that right Pete?

yes it is right.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:17 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:It is the correct decision as this is the funeral of the consort to the Queen who is the Head of our State. It is, therefore, only to be expected that the funeral would be at a peak time. Particularly when there was such pageantry over Princess Diana who was not even a Royal. It would be completely naive to expect anything else.
I do, cynically, subscribe to the belief that the decision is as much a business decision by EFL as marking protocol.
As a Republican, I would happily do without the monarchy but the largest opinion poll finding in favour of a republic was 22% last year with 65% of the respondents wanted the monarchy to continue.

So protocol dictates it should happen and public opinion seems to back it.

Well said.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:21 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I can remember Princess Di's funeral being in the morning. Wikipedia says it started at 9.08am and the ceremony in Westminster Abbey was at 11.00am.

Is that right Pete?

yes it is right.

Nothing changes, a disappointing home draw against the worse Doncaster side in their history. That season they were relegated to conference with about 20 points. I think the Doncaster scorer was a lad called Prince something.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum