{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Knowles or Reid ?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Knowles or Reid ?

Postby Oldamber55 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:34 pm

So our Jimmy scores an hat trick today... I know who I would sooner see in our forward line and it’s not Jamie Reid ?I know it’s a bit harsh .... so who’s your choice ....knowles or Reid..
Oldamber55
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Knowles or Reid ?

Postby Spiritater » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:36 pm

Oldamber55 wrote:So our Jimmy scores an hat trick today... I know who I would sooner see in our forward line and it’s not Jamie Reid ?I know it’s a bit harsh .... so who’s your choice ....knowles or Reid..

Already asked the question on Jimmy's thread.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:38 pm

It’s alright scoring in the conference against farmers, but it’ll be good for his confidence.

It’s a nice option to have though
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:39 pm

Oldamber55 wrote:So our Jimmy scores an hat trick today... I know who I would sooner see in our forward line and it’s not Jamie Reid ?I know it’s a bit harsh .... so who’s your choice ....knowles or Reid..

for next season ? neither thank you
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:42 pm

So you're not thinking he'll improve being only 19?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Oldamber55 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:43 pm

Knowles even if he does score in the farming league Lol !
Oldamber55
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Kenwood » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:45 pm

Neither of them are good enough (currently with regards to Jimmy) to lead the line in a team competing at the top of league 2, but knowles has potential and always has had.
For that reason we would be mad to not have him in our squad next season assuming he is still under some kind of contract
Kenwood
First Team
First Team

Postby Tre Cool » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:47 pm

So we're writing off Knowles because he's scoring in the 'farmer's league' below. Seems strange then that Villa took a punt on Ollie Watkins when he was scoring for fun in the league below.

Jimmy Knowles, old enough, I believe he's good enough. He showed some promise last season. Better option than what we have. Should be in the squad next season.
Tre Cool
First Team
First Team

Postby Spiritater » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:49 pm

Kenwood wrote:Neither of them are good enough (currently with regards to Jimmy) to lead the line in a team competing at the top of league 2, but knowles has potential and always has had.
For that reason we would be mad to not have him in our squad next season assuming he is still under some kind of contract

There you go, assuming we'll be at the top next season :lol:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Oldamber55 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:50 pm

Reid’s had more than his chance... the whole point in sending knowles out on loan is to give him experience and to build his confidence... the lad deserves a chance...
Oldamber55
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby yellowstagsfan » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:51 pm

Congratulations to Jimmy but he has to do it at League 2 level. We’ll see if he gets the chance
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:53 pm

yellowstagsfan wrote:Congratulations to Jimmy but he has to do it at League 2 level. We’ll see if he gets the chance
Knowles has age on his side. If Notts go up they will want to sign him.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:54 pm

Knowles would be gone in one second flat, if County got promoted and the right bid came in. Clough had chance to bring him back in January but preferred a striker that wouldn't score 10 in a season, even if it was a 100 games long.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby adamstag » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:55 pm

Reid isn’t a league quality player, simple.

You can try your best and be a nice lad which are good attributes but that’ll only get you so far.

Knowles has age on his side
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:59 pm

It’s worth remembering that Reid scored 18 goals in the National League last season. Knowles goals today take him to a total of 5. Their goals per minute is almost identical.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:10 pm

Reid scored for fun in the league below, as have many other strikers who haven’t cut it in the league. Appreciate that Knowles is younger, but he’s not the answer for next year in my opinion. I think another season in the conference starting week in week out for a full year would be best for his development rather than a bit part role here.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby marksay » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:27 pm

So Friday Cooke scored again and guess what Maynard scored today. If either were still here for Clough we would have battered Exeter today
marksay
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby adamstag » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:36 pm

marksay wrote:So Friday Cooke scored again and guess what Maynard scored today. If either were still here for Clough we would have battered Exeter today

But they aren’t and we didn’t.

but we’re saving about £5k a week which will help with the budget for next season....
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:37 pm

Ardley said “ there is no doubt Knowles will score goals given the chances , but he needs to learn more about the game when he has not got the ball “ . On the few occasions I have watched Knowles play I tend to agree. If you build a team around him at a certain lever ,maybe 2 leagues below us then he would shine like Reid did at Torquay . I can’t see the stags building a team around his strengths just yet .

Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:41 pm

Knowles every day of the week
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:41 pm

bigalstag1 wrote:Knowles would be gone in one second flat, if County got promoted and the right bid came in. Clough had chance to bring him back in January but preferred a striker that wouldn't score 10 in a season, even if it was a 100 games long.
Knowles wouldn't be any better than Reid. The National League this season appears very weak. In fact it's turned into a lottery. As pointed out above Reid scored goals last season in the National League and last year it was much more competitive.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:47 pm

I’m sure Clough will be bringing his own men in for next season. We need better than Reid or Knowles as first choice if we are going for it next year, either will be ok as a backup. They can do a job, Reid’s pressing from the front is impressive but he’s goals return isn’t.

Similar with Bowery, used in the right game and kept fresh he’s a good option but none are 20 goal a season players.

I think cook and Maynard could be 20 goal strikers in league two if they are played as the focus of the attack. Clearly this year we wanted to shift wages in January which is fair enough if you want to write the season off early. I can see both going in the summer and someone else coming in, in Clough’s style I’d expect it to be underwhelming but his Burton side always seemed to perform better than the sum one their parts. I expect something similar again.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:48 pm

Jimmy is 19 fgs. Don’t write the lad off yet.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:04 pm

bellwhiff wrote:Jimmy is 19 fgs. Don’t write the lad off yet.

Agreed . A young lad not picked to start today for a conference side ,comes on and makes an impression . Logical progression should be a trying to maintain that standard, get picked to start , return to parent club and repeat the process.
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:09 pm

I didn’t realise Knowles didn’t start. His goals per minute will be better than Reid’s then.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum