{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Nigel Clough; Leyton Orient post match

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Nigel Clough; Leyton Orient post match

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:59 am

Martin Shaw wrote:Since Clough took over, our league record is 9 wins 10 draws 9 defeats. 37 points from 28 games. Very much mid-table and very much better that what went before it, this season or last season.

Stats that seem to be missed by many posters on here
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:22 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:Since Clough took over, our league record is 9 wins 10 draws 9 defeats. 37 points from 28 games. Very much mid-table and very much better that what went before it, this season or last season.

Stats that seem to be missed by many posters on here

Facts can be boring
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:37 pm

Johnny H wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:You keep going on about the formation Johnny, and again I will tell you that we played two up top against Orient, as we have started with for the last five games.

There’s nothing wrong with the system. We consistently create more chances than the opposition. The players are the problem and that will hopefully be solved in the Summer.

I think this may fall on deaf ears with you though, as you seem to have it in for the manager.

Jeez.......how was this squad built....what formation was it built for ??
Play 532......give Gordon and Benning the freedom to attack (which they are both better at than defending)
Play Maris or Quinn in the holding role and get the front two touching shoulders.
Bowery and Reid are consistently played too far apart.....whether that be in a 433 formation with numerous players out of position or in the recent diamond formation.
Playing players out of their natural position doesn't work...we see this at MTFC most weeks, even Liverpool are seeing the effects of it !!!
We all slagged GC off for his failings, but at least we looked like we would score goals.

Yes...I do have it in for the manager....because he really hasn't improved us, just created different problems !!

If Cloughie hasn't improved us, then how are we sat above the relegation places? We might have won 1 or 2 by now under Coughlan. Go on, try and explain to me how were the same as we were under GC.

I'd say I can't believe some are turning on Clough, but I can. You'll be calling for his head after 5 games next season too if we're not in the top 3 I bet.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:53 pm

He’s improved every single aspect. Scored more, conceded less, more points, higher position.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:57 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:He’s improved every single aspect. Scored more, conceded less, more points, higher position.

Exactly. I don't get how he can say we haven't improved at all.

Not saying Clough is perfect, he will get things wrong but we all know it's been a crap season again and I think he has done well since he came in. The results haven't been amazing recently, but Nigel has steadied us which would've been his objective.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:12 pm

James wrote:
Johnny H wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:You keep going on about the formation Johnny, and again I will tell you that we played two up top against Orient, as we have started with for the last five games.

There’s nothing wrong with the system. We consistently create more chances than the opposition. The players are the problem and that will hopefully be solved in the Summer.

I think this may fall on deaf ears with you though, as you seem to have it in for the manager.

Jeez.......how was this squad built....what formation was it built for ??
Play 532......give Gordon and Benning the freedom to attack (which they are both better at than defending)
Play Maris or Quinn in the holding role and get the front two touching shoulders.
Bowery and Reid are consistently played too far apart.....whether that be in a 433 formation with numerous players out of position or in the recent diamond formation.
Playing players out of their natural position doesn't work...we see this at MTFC most weeks, even Liverpool are seeing the effects of it !!!
We all slagged GC off for his failings, but at least we looked like we would score goals.

Yes...I do have it in for the manager....because he really hasn't improved us, just created different problems !!

Looked like we would score goals under Coughlan, you mad?

Hes an absolute tool honestly. Wouldn't be happy if we were 15 points clear at the top of the league... Asked him before who would you prefer to cloughie and got no answer.

"He hasn't improved us" Yes he absolutely has, how can you not see that? sorry but you have to incredibly thick to think hes not improved us, and to expect him to massively alter things in such a short space of time. Hes not a miracle worker fgs... Hes working with some very poor players and were actually doing ok considering and were miles ahead of where we were under GC...

Stop up job done. Begin building next year... Cant quite believe the best managerial appointment we've made for some time, a manager who will need to be given time is already being slagged off because were not putting 6 past everyone after half a season in charge. Crazy

Also Musings makes some brilliant points that are factually spot on.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:15 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:He’s improved every single aspect. Scored more, conceded less, more points, higher position.

Not saying Clough is perfect, he will get things wrong but we all know it's been a crap season again and I think he has done well since he came in. The results haven't been amazing recently, but Nigel has steadied us which would've been his objective.

This. He wont get everything spot on, no one does. But hes turned around one of the worst sides we've ever had and will have us over the line... I think some other managers would have come in, done things differently and too quickly like when DF came in for example and seen us in real trouble on par with Grimsby.

Let the man build a team.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:33 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

This. He wont get everything spot on, no one does. But hes turned around one of the worst sides we've ever had and will have us over the line... I think some other managers would have come in, done things differently and too quickly like when DF came in for example and seen us in real trouble on par with Grimsby.

Let the man build a team.

Letting him build his own team is one thing, we've got to let him work it out and improve it over time.

Say we don't finish in the play offs or get promoted I really really hope we don't sack Clough. We'll just be getting nowhere again and we'll be back on the roundabout of trying to shift another squad of players that a new manager doesn't want.

This season Clough is working with some pretty average players, and it's been a very average season so. We won't get relegated. I believe we'll be much better next season.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:10 pm

There is no way in hell JR will sack Clough ...not a chance.
Hes the manager he's been waiting for since taking over.
He will back him to the hilt and the only way this relationship ends if NC walk away....
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:30 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:There is no way in hell JR will sack Clough ...not a chance.
He will back him to the hilt and the only way this relationship ends if NC walk away....

I think that is a very sensible post.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:15 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:There is no way in hell JR will sack Clough ...not a chance.

Who is talking about sacking him ? What are they smoking ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum