{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Clough press conference Wed 31 Mar

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Clough press conference Wed 31 Mar

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:24 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Clough press conference Wed 31 Mar

Postby The One » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:36 pm

Sarkic. What a waste.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:38 pm

Sarkic’s signing was a joke. I will reiterate that the transfer window was a farce.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:43 pm

bellwhiff wrote:Sarkic’s signing was a joke. I will reiterate that the transfer window was a farce.

I think thats a little OTT

The transfer window was good in my opinion.

Shipped out players on huge wages and the only error was getting an injury prone striker.

A great base to build for the coming season
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:47 pm

stag324 wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:Sarkic’s signing was a joke. I will reiterate that the transfer window was a farce.

I think thats a little OTT

The transfer window was good in my opinion.

Shipped out players on huge wages and the only error was getting an injury prone striker.

A great base to build for the coming season

It was a massive gamble.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:09 pm

Why was it a joke? Presumably the guy was fit when he came. Any player can have an injury at any time. Also we got two high wage bench warmers off the payroll.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:13 pm

I agree with you Belly. It was a bad window.

My reasons are different from yours though. I don’t think it was a gamble necessarily as I don’t think we are in danger of going down.

The reason I think it was bad is that we were neck and neck with Bolton at the time abs only a couple of wins from the playoffs. Had we got the window right then we should be competing for promotion now.

I also believe that had we kept and played Cook we would have been there or thereabouts too.

I know the mantra is that we just wanted to stay up, but chances at promotion don’t come around often and I think we might have missed an opportunity.

That said, the reduction in wages is a good thing and the emergence of Jason Law might not have happened so there is some good come out of it
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:34 pm

I wouldn’t say it was a joke, but in general the transfer window was a gamble. Getting rid of two decent strikers was a gamble indeed!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:10 pm

100% agree.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:26 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:35 pm

How the signing can be described as a joke I'm not sure. Clearly it has not worked out as hoped, but it could not possibly have been anticipated that he would suffer two injuries.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:37 pm

He looks chirpier than other day Break done him good.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:53 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:I agree with you Belly. It was a bad window.

My reasons are different from yours though. I don’t think it was a gamble necessarily as I don’t think we are in danger of going down.

The reason I think it was bad is that we were neck and neck with Bolton at the time abs only a couple of wins from the playoffs. Had we got the window right then we should be competing for promotion now.

I also believe that had we kept and played Cook we would have been there or thereabouts too.

I know the mantra is that we just wanted to stay up, but chances at promotion don’t come around often and I think we might have missed an opportunity.

That said, the reduction in wages is a good thing and the emergence of Jason Law might not have happened so there is some good come out of it

oh get raspberried.... Boltons squad is far far better than ours, always has been. It would have been such a stupid idea to throw money at a "promotion push" in January with the mess of a squad we have, when we need to cut back and focus on staying up.

Missed opportunity my arse... were where we are for a reason and that wouldn't have drastically changed with a "better" transfer window. We will have a much better chance if you let Nigel have time and do the job properly rather than rushing because of one transfer window.

The club as a whole did the right thing, we've had no income for a year and were looking at relegation, Nigels job was to keep us up and get ready for next season.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:22 pm

You are correct we were neck and neck with Bolton at that time. Supposed we had kept Cook and maybe signed or loaned a couple of other players and we had gone up through the playoffs. My concern would be how would our current set of players have coped with League 1 given that they are struggling in League 2 ?
The problem we have is that most of GC's signings are on two year contracts. We would not be able to move sufficient on. The other problem,due to much reduced finances this year, we would be restricted in signing enough better players to survive in league 1.
I think it makes more sense to save money this year, which can be used to have a real go at promotion next season. Some of those on two year contracts are young and another season in league two may prepare them for league 1. The ones who don't come upto the standard will not be offered a new contract.
From a personal point of view I would rather witness a promotion season watching in the stadium next season than one via i follow this season.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:05 pm

Sedgwick wrote:

oh get raspberried.... Boltons squad is far far better than ours, always has been. It would have been such a stupid idea to throw money at a "promotion push" in January with the mess of a squad we have, when we need to cut back and focus on staying up.

Missed opportunity my arse... were where we are for a reason and that wouldn't have drastically changed with a "better" transfer window. We will have a much better chance if you let Nigel have time and do the job properly rather than rushing because of one transfer window.

The club as a whole did the right thing, we've had no income for a year and were looking at relegation, Nigels job was to keep us up and get ready for next season.

You knew some would throw the promotion card into mix. That was never going to happen, even if we'd have kept Cook and Maynard.

I also think it would've been daft to throw money around in Jan for a promotion push when there's still no fans in for the rest of the season, and it would've made no sense with Sharpe telling us last summer we were cutting the wage bill down and getting younger, hungrier players in.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:32 pm

I thought Clough explained the transfer window very well, and unexpected injuries left us short of expectations, the club has welcomed the reduction in the wage bill , and this has allowed fringe players to determine if their future is with the club, Letting Cook, Maynard, Menayese go was a big decision, But we have 3 academy players getting game time.
Sarkic has been very unlucky and must try to kick start his career, and with Caine suffering a long term injury it has put us on the back foot, so if we achieve our objective then we will be in a strong position to start the next campaign,
Putting Mansfield Town in the same bracket as Bolton Wanderers is going to far since 2005/6 premier league---2013 championship for 4 years,, 2 year in league 1, 2020/21 the first year in their history in league 2.
Mansfield Town 2005 league 2 for 2 seasons. 2008/9 non league for 5 seasons, 2013/14 league 2 for 8 seasons, ignoring the infrastructure and the finances they attract with a big fan base, i am sorry but we do not begin to compete as a club, our ground only has 3 sides, lets stay positive but realistic
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:18 pm

If we had signed Akins and Brayford, which was
Clearly the intention - would we have been signing them to make a run at the playoffs or to try and finish higher than 23rd?

I’m not saying we were going to win the league and I don’t dispute Bolton’s squad is better than ours, but I stand by my opinion that if we had a decent striker we could have challenged for a playoff spot.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:24 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:If we had signed Akins and Brayford, which was
Clearly the intention - would we have been signing them to make a run at the playoffs or to try and finish higher than 23rd?

I’m not saying we were going to win the league and I don’t dispute Bolton’s squad is better than ours, but I stand by my opinion that if we had a decent striker we could have challenged for a playoff spot.

Our defence is nowhere near good enough for a play off spot. I know our strikers aren't hot on goals, but we always seem to have a clanger waiting to happen with the back 4
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:45 pm

If Lapslie had not been injured in the first match after the five win run, I suspect this post window season would have been massively different and we would have been up with Bolton.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:46 pm

I agree about conceding clangers, but some of the sides in and around the playoffs are no better than us.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:48 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:I agree about conceding clangers, but some of the sides in and around the playoffs are no better than us.

Cloughies saving the promotion push for when the fans are back in anyway ;)
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:56 pm

Sedgwick wrote:

Thoroughly agree, and with the point made about finding we had a really good [prospect in Jason law, and both Sinclair and keaton Ward could now get their break into the first team. Excellent transfer window.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby kevin kents tasce » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:00 pm

"bobbystagsfan"
Cloughies saving the promotion push for when the fans are back in anyway ;)

I hope so - It would be great! I do think Cloughie is the man to get us there.

Just for the record, I agree with your earlier comments about not just throwing money at the transfer window. It’s just a shame Sarkic got injured and we didn’t have another striker to compete for Reid’s place.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:19 pm

bear 73 wrote:I thought Clough explained the transfer window very well, and unexpected injuries left us short of expectations, the club has welcomed the reduction in the wage bill , and this has allowed fringe players to determine if their future is with the club, Letting Cook, Maynard, Menayese go was a big decision, But we have 3 academy players getting game time.
Sarkic has been very unlucky and must try to kick start his career, and with Caine suffering a long term injury it has put us on the back foot, so if we achieve our objective then we will be in a strong position to start the next campaign,
Putting Mansfield Town in the same bracket as Bolton Wanderers is going to far since 2005/6 premier league---2013 championship for 4 years,, 2 year in league 1, 2020/21 the first year in their history in league 2.
Mansfield Town 2005 league 2 for 2 seasons. 2008/9 non league for 5 seasons, 2013/14 league 2 for 8 seasons, ignoring the infrastructure and the finances they attract with a big fan base, i am sorry but we do not begin to compete as a club, our ground only has 3 sides, lets stay positive but realistic

Hark at you. Just hark at you.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby KJW STAG » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:26 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
bear 73 wrote:I thought Clough explained the transfer window very well, and unexpected injuries left us short of expectations, the club has welcomed the reduction in the wage bill , and this has allowed fringe players to determine if their future is with the club, Letting Cook, Maynard, Menayese go was a big decision, But we have 3 academy players getting game time.

Hark at you. Just hark at you.

Hark the herald angel , i think he sang is way through that :lol:
KJW STAG
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum