{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Drewe Broughton on Sky Sports

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Drewe Broughton on Sky Sports

Postby MobileStag » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:59 pm

If anyone was needing a reminder that last season did actually happen, 'fear coach' Drewe Broughton just turned up on Sky Sports' website with an article
- not sure if we've had many appointments that have been as ineffective as his?

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... WTUhrvuMw4
MobileStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Drewe Broughton on Sky Sports

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:10 pm

There’s a lot of truth in what he says IMO.

It was when he started going on about spiritual stuff that he lost me, and some of the comments after games.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:27 pm

It’s a really interesting article. The psychological side of the game is really important but many coaches and commentators are still stuck in the dark ages.

I posted a few times about Coughlan and the apparent lack of a psychologically informed environment. After he left and Cooper took over we heard players talking about feeling happier, whilst performances also increased - that is not a coincidence.

The problems under Dempster were not down to Broughton, they were down to a lack of accountability from the players and a failure to hold people to standards by the manager.

Good luck Drewe. I sometimes listen to the Sports Psych show podcast with Dan Abrahams (which is excellent) and I am totally convinced that there is a need for this type of coaching and mentoring within the game.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:28 pm

Quack doctor.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:29 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:There’s a lot of truth in what he says IMO.

It was when he started going on about spiritual stuff that he lost me, and some of the comments after games.

I agree about the spiritual stuff. Each to their own and all that but I suspect a lot of players might find that stuff odd, which will prevent them taking some of the psychology seriously
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby MobileStag » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:58 pm

Just to clear up - I do believe that the psychological side of football is very interesting and actually Drewe's article was the second one I saw today alone (Morata discussing how he wished he'd been using his current sports psychologist when he arrived in England with Chelsea) which I think shows people are recognising its increasing importance in the game - I imagine Drewe will not find it difficult to find work with what he does, it just didn't work out at all with the Stags!

Also agree with you KKT about Coughlan, I think perhaps his theories in terms of hard work and fitness weren't necessarily wrong but it does seem as if the way he put them across to the squad is what failed to win some of the players - as you say had he been applying this in a more psychologically informed environment, maybe it could have been successful..
MobileStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby The One » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:09 am

Employ em to fill pot holes, will get on to Notts Council now. Tell em staff meeting in morning.

Drewe will sort it.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby julianshatnasty » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:12 am

Read half of it, just seemed like an advert to me. An odd article to come from nowhere, can't beat a bit of self-promotion.
julianshatnasty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:50 am

with everything in life, it’s outcomes that matter, did he have one with the Stags ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby KJW STAG » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:27 am

KJW STAG
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:50 am

KJW STAG wrote:Remember this chap as well

https://www.ebbsfleetunited.co.uk/squad/lee-taylor/

To be fair, our players seemed to be very fit under Taylor. I think we scored quite a few late goals which could be down to good fitness levels.

Surprised he's not at Gillingham
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:20 am

I agree that psychology is huge in football but this guy was an absolute plank.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:45 am

Hjeldefan wrote:I agree that psychology is huge in football but this guy was an absolute plank.

He’s a complete fraud. Anyone who falls for is raspberry has completely lost the plot.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:18 am

Can I have the £11 back that I paid for his Book of Psychobabble?

He's a snake oil salesman.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:21 pm

If you can get over the fact that you dislike him or not, he actually says a lot of sensible stuff, maybe not articulated very well.

In my opinion a lot of what he says resonates through to the corporate world too. Fear is a mind-killer, saps creativity, diminishes initiative, and reduces trust.

Stats and data are heavily used to identify opportunities and weaknesses but only give a snapshot of a moment in time and are rarely positioned against a backdrop of a person's emotional state or wellbeing.The emotional side of any game or job, is, more often than not, the missing piece of the jigsaw. It's often said that if confidence could be bottled it'd make people millions.

People and footballers don't want to be told what to do. They want to be motivated and inspired. All the stats in the world can't make a player any better if they are motivated or are short on confidence.

The worst thing a footballer can do is 'play with fear', meaning that the players are scared to make a mistake, and this debilitates them. This will make their stats look bad.

Fear is a very base and natural instinct. Fear has evolved to makes us safe. I'd be scared too if I had 5000 fans on my back and attacking me on the socials if I put a pass wrong.

Understanding this fear is key to being able to understand how someone else is feeling. It's emotional intelligence - known as empathy. If a manager can empathize, understand what the players fear, they are half way to combatting it and will be able to get players to play with confidence, which undoubtedly leads to results.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:18 pm

This was my summary of Drewe Broughton's advice to players from his book with one of the key bits of advice being "Don't listen to your coaches. They can bring you down." :lol:

Be yourself.
Be confident.
Believe in yourself.
Trust yourself.
Rely on your feelings and gut instinct.
Just do what made you a successful player in the first place.
Play without fear.
Just do it.
Don't let your ego bring you down.
Let go of your ego.
Don't think too much.
Concentrate on your feelings.
Work hard.
Keep working hard.
Run and run and run.
Just keep running until your lungs hurt and you cannot breathe and then run some more.
Don't compete with others.
Just be you and do your best.
Don't be scared to discuss your feelings.
You need to face your fears.
You don't always have to be on the edge.
Breathe.
Live in the moment.
Slow things down.
Be selfish.
Do what works for you.
Follow who you are.
Be the best version of yourself.
Trying to be too professional can kill you.
Once the work is done then let go.
Relax.
Calm down.
Focus on the power of the human soul.
Don't always listen to your coaches. They can bring you down.
Build strong foundations based on honesty, integrity, hard work, loyalty and commitment.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:21 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:If you can get over the fact that you dislike him or not, he actually says a lot of sensible stuff, maybe not articulated very well.

In my opinion a lot of what he says resonates through to the corporate world too. Fear is a mind-killer, saps creativity, diminishes initiative, and reduces trust.

Stats and data are heavily used to identify opportunities and weaknesses but only give a snapshot of a moment in time and are rarely positioned against a backdrop of a person's emotional state or wellbeing.The emotional side of any game or job, is, more often than not, the missing piece of the jigsaw. It's often said that if confidence could be bottled it'd make people millions.

People and footballers don't want to be told what to do. They want to be motivated and inspired. All the stats in the world can't make a player any better if they are motivated or are short on confidence.

The worst thing a footballer can do is 'play with fear', meaning that the players are scared to make a mistake, and this debilitates them. This will make their stats look bad.

Fear is a very base and natural instinct. Fear has evolved to makes us safe. I'd be scared too if I had 5000 fans on my back and attacking me on the socials if I put a pass wrong.

Understanding this fear is key to being able to understand how someone else is feeling. It's emotional intelligence - known as empathy. If a manager can empathize, understand what the players fear, they are half way to combatting it and will be able to get players to play with confidence, which undoubtedly leads to results.
:good_post:
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum