{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

RIP Frank Worthington

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

RIP Frank Worthington

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:01 am

Very sad. RIP

Stags related as Ian Greaves is quoted in the article

Frank Worthington: Former England striker dies aged 72 following long illness

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56495453
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Re: RIP Frank Worthington

Postby Chris M » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:14 am

Sad news. I recall that Frank played in Kevin Bird’s testimonial match against Aston Villa. I remember him taking a penalty kick at Quarry Lane end and almost ripping out the net with the power of the shot. I was stood behind the net and could not believe any goalkeeper could have saved it. RIP
Chris M
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:28 am

Chris M wrote:Sad news. I recall that Frank played in Kevin Bird’s testimonial match against Aston Villa. I remember him taking a penalty kick at Quarry Lane end and almost ripping out the net with the power of the shot. I was stood behind the net and could not believe any goalkeeper could have saved it. RIP

I remember him playing against us for Tranmere. We scored at the North Stand end. Ran back to the halfway line and ball was on the spot. Frank spoke to the Lino. He raised his flag and the ref disallowed the goal. I’m still outraged :lol:
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby northern stag » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:00 am

RIP Frank
An old school proper entertainer and a great footballer, in the Rodney Marsh, George Best, Tony Currie mould.
northern stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:00 am

RIP
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:07 am

Described by Ian Greaves as the working man's George Best.

I loved watching Frank playing for Leeds United at Elland Road in 1982. I even made a trip to Goodison Park where Leeds lost 1-0 to a Graeme Sharp goal. Frank was around 34 then but one of the most skillful players I had seen play live along with Eddie Gray. Unfortunately, he could not save Allan Clarke's Leeds from relegation that season despite scoring 9 goals in 17 appearances.

That Leeds team should never have been relegated as it included John Lukic, Trevor Cherry, Frank Gray, Kenny Burns, Paul Hart, Brian Flynn, Eddie Gray, Arthur Graham, Peter Barnes, Frank Worthington and Terry Connor.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:35 am

Met him when we played Halifax away in the VIP lounge (a bar) think his son was playing for them.
Asked for his autograph and passed him my ticket to sign, I had a signature already on it from one of our injured players,
Frank asked whose it was and I told him its iffy anoura, so frank signs his name over the top of iffys.
It still makes me laugh til this day,

Regards and respect Frank. Thank you.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:09 pm

Sad loss, great player from a real footballing era.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:25 pm

A class player RIP
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby stagone1959 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:27 pm

Took something outstanding to beat Rod Arnold in arguably his best performance for Stags,away at Burnden Park Bolton,alas Worthington was up to the task.

RIP Frank

From an era when football was better
stagone1959
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Oldamber55 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:17 pm

Definitely one of the great characters of English football...very skilled and had a mind of his own..a working mans footballer unlike the stereotypes of today...RIP Frank
Oldamber55
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby DazMondo » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:27 pm

RIP

Proper 70s footballer. Bumped into him in a designer clothes shop in Manchester back in 1996. He was stood at the far end of the shop wearing a grey suit, long greying ponytail and had the most dishevelled look I'd seen for a long time.
I gave him the knowing nod, and he then asked me to shoot him, lol.

He was part of the era when players would beat the fans to the pub, after the match had finished.
Why do the two football teams I support always let me down.
DazMondo
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:37 pm

:) When i was a young lad and when that wonder goal went in , makes us realize why we love this beautiful game .
We turn up hoping see some thing of brilliance we will never forget .

Thanks for the memories R.I.P Frank

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:20 pm

SFL who nicked your avatar
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:30 pm

The One wrote:SFL who nicked your avatar

Thanks i look into it ,did not know it had gone missing :shock:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:54 pm

Beware the Dark side you must. Insidious ways they have of turning you away from the fred brotherhood
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:42 pm

That man could play football, no wonder we all love the game when we had the likes of him to watch.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby SidneyOttewell » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:48 pm

A fantastic player....and the only reason my Mum would go to our match v Leicester City in 1975! Think he was the best player on the pitch that night, too.
SidneyOttewell
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby one f in mansfield » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:32 pm

northern stag wrote:RIP Frank
An old school proper entertainer and a great footballer, in the Rodney Marsh, George Best, Tony Currie mould.

Still speak to Tony Currie on a regular basis . Real down to earth bloke.
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:36 pm

one f in mansfield wrote:
northern stag wrote:RIP Frank

Still speak to Tony Currie on a regular basis . Real down to earth bloke.

He was another footballer who was a joy to watch :)
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby iansmith » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:27 am

chip63 wrote:Met him when we played Halifax away in the VIP lounge (a bar) think his son was playing for them.
Asked for his autograph and passed him my ticket to sign, I had a signature already on it from one of our injured players,
Frank asked whose it was and I told him its iffy anoura, so frank signs his name over the top of iffys.
It still makes me laugh til this day,

Regards and respect Frank. Thank you.

Good story. Frank was from a footballing dynasty in Halifax. Both his brothers Dave & Bob played at a professional level but Gary Worthington, who played for Halifax, was Dave's son, so Frank's nephew . Gary's career at Halifax was cut short through injury but he headed up Leeds Utd academy before being poached by Chelsea. The last I heard he was at Man City.

The BBC story (above) is about half right. By Frank's own admission, at the first medical Bill Shankly told him to have a week off as his blood pressure was high. To Frank Worthington a week off from football meant only one thing, an opportunity to pursue his second love in life. Women. So he booked himself into a hotel in Majorca. When he returned to Anfield a week later for the medical mentioned above, and having enjoyed/experienced most of the the night clubs on the island, his blood pressure was twice as high!

He had huge respect for Ian Greaves, who i think signed him twice for different clubs and always claimed he was the best manager he had played for. A family member told me he always followed Greavsie's managerial career closely including his time at Field Mill (One Call).

The last time I saw Frank was many, many years ago when he walked into a Hotel Restaurant with two attractive women, one on each arm. So some things never changed!

A great character both on and off the field and someone who never forgot his roots.

Condolences to the family.

RIP Frank.
iansmith
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby naanbread2 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:22 pm

I know a bloke who, up to recent kept in touch with him. He said, in the game he was called 'Elvis'. We'll never see the likes of him again, I'm sorry to say.
naanbread2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum