{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Coughlan added to Sheff Utd U23 coaching ranks

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Coughlan added to Sheff Utd U23 coaching ranks

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:08 pm

NC doesn’t need time. I expect us to be right up there next season
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:37 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:I hear what you're saying Sedgy, but it can also be a bit of a myth that managers need time to make a club a success.

Mark Bonner, in his first managerial job, looks like he is going to get Cambridge promoted. Based on their ppg last season, they would have finished a full season on 56 points. We could end up with a better tally, but in the worst case scenario not far behind. This season they will finish 77 and 83 points.

Mike Duff took over Cheltenham in Sept 2018 and led them to 16th in his first season, with 57 points (again, close to our final tally this season). They were set for 82 points the following season when it was curtailed, and lost in the play-offs. Another example that the type of improvement we are looking for is possible. Of course, this season they have been promoted and will finish with somewhere between 78 and 87 points.

Ian Evatt is looking like he will get Bolton up in one season.

Derek Adams took over Morecambe in November 2019, and was on track for 40 points at the time the season was curtailed. A much lower total than we have managed this term. This season, they will finish 72-78pts. A massive improvement, from a much more position than we are currently in, and with a much lower budget.

So, there is plenty of evidence that a good manager can rapidly improve a team within a season and a half. There is no reason why people should not be expecting a play-off tilt.

Of course it can happen, definitely can, don't disagree.

But what Im saying is its the expectation that all of the above will just happen to us, like we have some divine right to just appoint a manger, build a squad over one summer and go up top 3, and if we don't need to start all over again..... Its rare and absolutely stupid to just expect it because of who a manager is or a big budget etc. Its a reason a lot have been so miserable and throw their toys out of the pram when we have a bad run or demand we sack the manager and whole squad after a loss :lol:

we can all probably expect something better with Nigel Clough at the helm no doubt, but if he does need longer I hope people remember that and don't fall back into the mindset of the last few years.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:38 pm

bellwhiff wrote:NC doesn’t need time. I expect us to be right up there next season

He said differently himself. :lol:
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:56 pm

Thankfully we've a CEO and Owners that won't listen to those fans who'll be moaning if we're 11th come end of September.

This appointment is different; it's not the gamble type appointment that JD and (arguably) GC were. Here is a man who's been there and done it in the lower league. Let's give him the time to do what he's proven he can do.
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:31 pm

Birminghamstag10 wrote:Thankfully we've a CEO and Owners that won't listen to those fans who'll be moaning if we're 11th come end of September.

This appointment is different; it's not the gamble type appointment that JD and (arguably) GC were. Here is a man who's been there and done it in the lower league. Let's give him the time to do what he's proven he can do.

Spot on.

I think he will ( and the CEO ) stabilise the club, give it solid foundations and make us sustainable.

We will gain promotion into League 1 within the next two seasons.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:20 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:NC doesn’t need time. I expect us to be right up there next season

I’m sure he did. He’s not the sort to come out with smash the league quotes is he ?

Doesn’t change my point though. I’m not demanding it but I do think we will be right up there.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:32 pm

GC is on the managerial shortlist for Donny Rovers.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:39 pm

Dan wrote:GC is on the managerial shortlist for Donny Rovers.

That must be the longest shortlist in history.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:04 am

That short list must have come out of a Christmas cracker
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby lifestags » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:54 am

Sedgwick wrote:

Clough has repeatedly said if he gets his number 1 targets then we will be challenging. Even yesterday he said 1st target of securing safety has been achieved, now its about getting a group together that can be up there next season.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:06 am

lifestags wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Clough has repeatedly said if he gets his number 1 targets then we will be challenging. Even yesterday he said 1st target of securing safety has been achieved, now its about getting a group together that can be up there next season.
Challenging is different to achieving. As long as we improve significantly I will be happy.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:19 am

lifestags wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Yes and if were not challenging do you want to sack him also? that's the point. He has said himself you need time
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:31 am

Sedgwick wrote:
lifestags wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Yes and if were not challenging do you want to sack him also? that's the point. He has said himself you need time

I didn't say that, I am just saying stop indicating that NC has said we will need time to get promoted as he hasn't.

He said he will need time in the job BUT if he gets the players he wants in the summer then we can challenge.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:02 am

Sedgwick wrote:
lifestags wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

I said I expected us to be up there based on his managerial skills, his budget and his ability to attract good calibre players. I didn’t say anything about demanding his sacking if we didn’t get up there. I think everyone knows we should progress next year. I’m not demanding anything, just setting out my hopes and expectations

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:41 pm

The only reason, if we don’t get into top three next season, will be that young Nige was unable to get the players he wanted.

If this did happen then it might not be his fault.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:06 pm

part time pete wrote:The only reason, if we don’t get into top three next season, will be that young Nige was unable to get the players he wanted.

If this did happen then it might not be his fault.

Agree

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:07 pm

Everybody starts the season with expectations and being realistic is hard, this management team came in to avoid relegation and assess the clubs assets, and we can be satisfied this has been achieved, so next season we must do better, each fan will have their own expectations, my own is to expect 10 points more than this season, this is progress.
44 games = 62 points, 46 games = ?? personally looking at top 10 over 46 games and hoping for better, but would be happy watching Mansfield evolve into a force when going into league 1. making stability and progress the bench mark.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:10 pm

bear 73 wrote:Everybody starts the season with expectations and being realistic is hard, this management team came in to avoid relegation and assess the clubs assets, and we can be satisfied this has been achieved, so next season we must do better, each fan will have their own expectations, my own is to expect 10 points more than this season, this is progress.
44 games = 62 points, 46 games = ?? personally looking at top 10 over 46 games and hoping for better, but would be happy watching Mansfield evolve into a force when going into league 1. making stability and progress the bench mark.

I think most stags fans will be expecting more than 10 points than our current total next season. Not saying that's right or wrong.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:16 pm

It's still possible that we could improve on last season by 9pts if you take ppg into account. It doesn't feel much like progress to me :lol:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:36 pm

xG says that we should be 21 points above what we are now, so I suggest this should be the target for next season.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:36 am

part time pete wrote:xG says that we should be 21 points above what we are now, so I suggest this should be the target for next season.
Just shows you how reliable xG is. :D
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum