{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Vegan scorefred sponsored by Pukka Pies (kickoff 6pm)

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Vegan scorefred sponsored by Pukka Pies (kickoff 6pm)

Postby kevin kents tasce » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:20 pm

I think movement can be coached but I think anticipation might be harder to coach.

The problem is that Reid isn’t a young striker any more. He’s 26 and has played over 200 professional games. His traits are already engrained and whilst he can probably improve a bit, it’s not like he is a 21 year old who is just learning his craft.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby london amber stag » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:29 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:I think movement can be coached but I think anticipation might be harder to coach.

The problem is that Reid isn’t a young striker any more. He’s 26 and has played over 200 professional games. His traits are already engrained and whilst he can probably improve a bit, it’s not like he is a 21 year old who is just learning his craft.

I agree, excellent points.
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:35 pm

i think Reid will do well for Torquay next season, back home surrounded by family & friends good luck to him
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:41 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:i think Reid will do well for Torquay next season, back home surrounded by family & friends good luck to him

I've provisionally booked a holiday in Torbay in August, I've room in the car ;)
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:31 pm

It’s hard with reid as he’s a likeable guy and clearly tries hard and isn’t a bellraspberry like palmer.

Sadly that doesn’t detract from the fact that lad isn’t good enough to start and hasn’t got enough quality about him. If there’s wages to allow i’d love him as an impact player but he shouldn’t be starting next season
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:03 pm

adamstag wrote:It’s hard with reid as he’s a likeable guy and clearly tries hard and isn’t a bellraspberry like palmer.

Sadly that doesn’t detract from the fact that lad isn’t good enough to start and hasn’t got enough quality about him. If there’s wages to allow i’d love him as an impact player but he shouldn’t be starting next season

Should not be starting next game, he needs a rest.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:44 pm

A very entertaining 0-0 draw which could have been won by either side. The Stags probably had more chances to score but Forest Green Rovers had the better chances especially Jamille Matt's two free headers and Aaron Collins shooting wide from Odin Bailey's cross in the first half.

I thought it was a very good team performance by the Stags. I have not given anybody below a 7 although I am probably a more generous marker than most at the top end. I thought the Stags best players in the first half were George Maris, Mal Benning and James Perch. Jason Law had a very good second half along with Jordan Bowery and Maris, Benning and Perch were very good again. I gave MOM to George Maris as he was constantly involved in the play, breaking up attacks and getting us going again on the front foot. He was closely followed by Jason Law and Mal Benning; and then James Perch and Jordan Bowery. George Maris had 93 touches of the ball and 78 passes with a 76% pass success rate according to whoscored followed by Mal Benning (69 touches), Kellan Gordon (64 touches) and Jason Law (64 touches). George Maris also made the most tackles (6). James Perch had a 90% pass success rate, Kellan Gordon 89% and Mal Benning 77%. Jordan Bowery had the most key passes (4).

James Perch and Mal Benning were the pick of the defence for me. Farrend Rawson did not have to win as many headers as FGR kept the ball on the floor more. Kellan Gordon was quite disciplined in defence although there was the odd lapse. He did have a good opponent in Nicky Cadden and Odin Bailey also caused a few problems for Mal Benning. Stephen Quinn and Harry Charsley worked hard in midfield. I also thought Jamie Reid and Jordan Bowery did well up front and both had good chances to score. They deserved a goal for their overall play.

I watched FGR play Cambridge on Saturday and the difference between the sides was a bit of magic from Wes Hoolahan who took a brilliant quick free kick which resulted in a penalty that Mullin missed but Hoolahan then scored the winning goal himself. We just need to find a couple of attacking players for next season that have that x factor and who can occasionally score a goal from nowhere or just take the one or two chances that come their way during a game.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:48 am

Mark Cooper Post Match Interview

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:03 am

bellwhiff wrote:
Gazmoose82 wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:
Gazmoose82 wrote:What has everyone had for tea?

Pizza, wedges & salad over here... Nice side of coleslaw too

Fish cake, beans and home made crinkle cut chips. Not too heavy for the second half excitement.

Nice... Fishcake and beans is a very underrated combination.
As for the game... Agree with everyone else... Looks like mansfield 0 forest green something, we really do not look dangerous going forward.

I’ve taken advantage of being not in the south by having a mahoosive portion of fish chips and peas.

Don't they do fish n chips down south?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:31 am

I thought we were brilliant last night, makes it more frustrating that we played like that on Saturday. If we had played to 50 percent of what we did last night we would of won comfortably on Saturday, probably sums this team up.

But last night I thought it was a top performance and probably our best 2nd half of the season. James Perch was outstanding, so composed and his tackles and clearances were timed perfectly.

Jason Law had a decent 1st half but he really took it up a couple of levels in the 2nd half, looked a class above, As Clough said he is getting more confident and is starting to look up with his passes. The tackle and then through ball to Reid was great.

Aiden Stone's save is up there with one of the best I have seen in recent times at the stags, he was going the opposite way, I still cant believe he kept it out.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:25 am

Spiritater wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Gazmoose82 wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:
Gazmoose82 wrote:What has everyone had for tea?

Pizza, wedges & salad over here... Nice side of coleslaw too

Fish cake, beans and home made crinkle cut chips. Not too heavy for the second half excitement.

As for the game... Agree with everyone else... Looks like mansfield 0 forest green something, we really do not look dangerous going forward.

I’ve taken advantage of being not in the south by having a mahoosive portion of fish chips and peas.

Not proper ones and the peas are minging too.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:46 am

The morning after that really good performance I'm filling in Eggys player scores and the only one of the starting eleven I got below 7 was Jamie Reid.....that makes an absolute change from some recent performances where I've been struggling to score anyone but the Man of the Match over 7.

Well done Stags....for a nil nil draw you did us proud guys.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:04 am

1.5 v 0.7 on xG
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:22 am

Stone had a excellent game and it was nice to see the ball up there end in injury time , i thought it was a solid team performance and a well deserved point, both managers thought they could have won it, I see the worst team in the league picked up 3 points and have been unbeaten in 5 games, , i think this shows while we could easily have won on Sat,
a draw was not a bad result, 9 games to go still all to play for
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:49 am

James Perch had a very good game but he did lose Jamille Matt for both his headers.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby StagR » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:51 am

We are starting to see the pedigree of some of the senior pros now. James Perch oozes quality at CB and reminds me of the impact Bish had when he first arrived, albeit in a different position. Good to see Mal deservedly regaining his place. Stephen Quinn has steadily improved and Steven McLaughlin has looked better also. With Maris looking the part, Clarke & Lapslie returning and Jason Law impressing more game by game, competition for places in a quality midfield is intense. Up front, the transformation in fans’ perception of Jordan Bowery has been phenomenal and rightly so. With a quality finisher alongside him next year I think he will play an even greater part in a much more successful season.
Onwards and upwards !
StagR
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:31 pm

adamstag wrote:Despite martins excitement no foul there, though the keeper was lucky

MTFCMusings wrote:Don't think that was a foul on Reid, he would have been offside anyway

halifaxstag wrote:Definitely a foul by the keeper. Lifted his leg so that Reid couldn't get past him. Especially ifReid fouled their defender in th box before! Free kick and a yellow card.

Have watched this back a few times. Definite foul by the keeper in my opinion. Reid would indeed have been offside but the foul came first so the offside was irrelevant.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:17 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Spiritater wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Gazmoose82 wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:

Not proper ones and the peas are minging too.

If you ever find yourself in Brentford go to Albany fish bar round the corner from Griffin Park. I went there on Saturday and the fish was stunning, tasted just like a seaside fish and chips.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:52 pm

Dan wrote:If you ever find yourself in Brentford go to Albany fish bar round the corner from Griffin Park. I went there on Saturday and the fish was stunning, tasted just like a seaside fish and chips.

I know it and used to go every time we played there.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:25 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Dan wrote:If you ever find yourself in Brentford go to Albany fish bar round the corner from Griffin Park. I went there on Saturday and the fish was stunning, tasted just like a seaside fish and chips.

I know it and used to go every time we played there.

Lovely isn’t it. And cooked fresh too.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum