{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Sunday League Standard

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Sunday League Standard

Postby Norman » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:00 pm

That’s what it felt like today! Wright and Ward fgs shouldn’t be nowhere near this club! And playing the liability Sweeney up front what the hell was all that about! And don’t get me started on Sarkic!
Norman
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Sunday League Standard

Postby Arnolds Rod » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:22 pm

I think in a year or two some of them will be playing part time.
Those that had a half decent game today such as Rawson, Perch and Maris first half are worth keeping along with Lapslie and Clarke. The rest need a reality check in the Conference North.
Arnolds Rod
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:54 pm

I very rarely agree with you Norm but I know where you are coming from. The substitutions today were embarrassing. They made us look like a Rag Bag Army. If we were near the bottom then I would be seriously worried.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:20 pm

Do you think Young Nige is making a point to sharpy and the Radfords about how much needs to spent in the summer.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:24 am

part time pete wrote:Do you think Young Nige is making a point to sharpy and the Radfords about how much needs to spent in the summer.

That thought did go through my mind Pete. It does not make Nigel Clough look good though when the bench is so weak and risks damaging his reputation with the fans. If Paul Cox, Adam Murray, John Dempster or Graham Coughlan had made those substitutions yesterday then they would have been slaughtered on here.

Listening to the David Sharpe interview it seems like Cook and Maynard were offloaded for financial reasons as he talks about getting a very good wage recovery. It also sounded like Danny Rose and CJ Hamilton were also sold for financial reasons. The playing budget is probably back to pre Steve Evans levels but probably higher than Adam Murray's budget. I don't blame the club for doing this during a pandemic.

I assume Nigel Clough agreed to Cook and Maynard being offloaded and thought he could bring in replacements but the transfer window did not work out as planned.

We never found out whether GC agreed to the sale of Danny Rose. We could have done with Danny yesterday and he would have suited Nigel Clough's style of play as he is far more of a grafter than Cook and Maynard which NC seems to like.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:51 am

The decision to let Cook and Maynard go was very sensible business, as was the decision to let both Rose and Hamilton go for healthy fees.

We definitely have enough to stay up and whilst the last few weeks have been very frustrating, we have to remember that we have missed our strongest assets for most of those games. There are not many clubs at our level who could be without Lapslie, Maris and Clarke and still put a run of form together.

Clough will get it right and will do so by being financially responsible. I think Sharpes comments at the fans forum showed that this is the plan and I for one was delighted to hear it.

This doesn't take away from how annoyed I was yesterday though. Bringing Sweeney on up front was an awful decision and Keaton Ward should be nowhere near our first team at the moment. Ward might have ability and I applaud the club for giving him another chance, but Sinclair, James Clarke, O'Driscoll and O'Keefe must feel devalued by the decision to keep giving him game time over them. I also bet Alistair Smith is scratching his head at being released, only to be replaced by someone who was plying their trade at Ilkeston Town!

Jake Wright is a funny one. On the face of it, a good experienced head who should provide cover to our centre backs, but in the two short cameo's we have seen so far he looks shot to me.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:57 am

Ward has showed promise in his first two sub appearances but yeah let's completely write off a young raw talent on his home debut in the last few minutes of a game... Really?
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:00 am

Birminghamstag10 wrote:Ward has showed promise in his first two sub appearances but yeah let's completely write off a young raw talent on his home debut in the last few minutes of a game... Really?

He didn't write him off, read it properly not with blinkers on!!
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:02 am

Birminghamstag10 wrote:Ward has showed promise in his first two sub appearances but yeah let's completely write off a young raw talent on his home debut in the last few minutes of a game... Really?

Who is completely writing him off?

I disagree that he has shown promises far and I think all three games he has played in passed him by to be honest, which why I think he needs a bit more time to find his feet before playing first team football.

Its great that the club have given him another chance to get his career started, but that shouldn't come with being fast tracked into the first team in front of some of our other players.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:10 am

kevin kents tasce wrote:

Who is completely writing him off?

I disagree that he has shown promises far and I think all three games he has played in passed him by to be honest, which why I think he needs a bit more time to find his feet before playing first team football.

Its great that the club have given him another chance to get his career started, but that shouldn't come with being fast tracked into the first team in front of some of our other players.

I assume you are joking. In a thread titled "sunday league standard" and "he should be nowhere near the club".... if that's not writing someone completely off, I dont know what is??
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:28 am

Birminghamstag10 wrote:I assume you are joking. In a thread titled "sunday league standard" and "he should be nowhere near the club".... if that's not writing someone completely off, I dont know what is??

I think you are looking to find things that don’t exist youth.

I have clearly written that I applaud the club for giving him another chance. I have also said he shouldn’t be in the team ‘at the moment’ which clearly indicates that I hope he can earn his place in the future. I am of the opinion that other players are currently more deserving of game time than he is.

None of what I have written can be reasonably considered to have written him off off.

I also haven’t made any suggestion at all that Ward is Sunday league standard, but I do think some of the decisions made yesterday were what you would expect in the Sunday league - I.e playing centre backs up from in in central midfield.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:54 am

kevin kents tasce wrote:
Birminghamstag10 wrote:I assume you are joking. In a thread titled "sunday league standard" and "he should be nowhere near the club".... if that's not writing someone completely off, I dont know what is??

I think you are looking to find things that don’t exist youth.

I have clearly written that I applaud the club for giving him another chance. I have also said he shouldn’t be in the team ‘at the moment’ which clearly indicates that I hope he can earn his place in the future. I am of the opinion that other players are currently more deserving of game time than he is.

None of what I have written can be reasonably considered to have written him off off.

I also haven’t made any suggestion at all that Ward is Sunday league standard, but I do think some of the decisions made yesterday were what you would expect in the Sunday league - I.e playing centre backs up from in in central midfield.

I was referring only to the orginal post, none subsequent. I should have quoted that, my apologies for the confusion.
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:57 am

That’s fair enough. To be fair, I’ve got a bit on my high horse thinking you were responding to my post :oops: Apologies from me too

I always try and ignore Norman, but have just bit on his other post from yesterday - maybe I need to go and have a lie down! :lol:
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:09 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:That’s fair enough. To be fair, I’ve got a bit on my high horse thinking you were responding to my post :oops: Apologies from me too

I always try and ignore Norman, but have just bit on his other post from yesterday - maybe I need to go and have a lie down! :lol:

No, my fault. I found the rest fairly balanced. Apologies.
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:44 pm

get a room
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:03 pm

PEAR CIDER wrote:get a room

This comment has nothing to do with Mansfield Town.

Please remove it.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:06 pm

bellwhiff wrote:

Please remove it.

Aren’t the Stags and JR thinking of building a hotel at the ground. ;)
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:38 pm

bellwhiff wrote:

Please remove it.

Bwaahaaaa

I'm kinda liking this game :lol:
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:50 pm

Sunday league, this comment shows how we fans forget the howlers we made when playing , and expect professional players to be the finished article when they play, this like any other job need players to learn from experience and mistakes made, strange many of you have not had a extra defender come on to protect a lead, Fans comment on the academy and players not coming through, but have no patience when they do, it is a brave manager who risks youth especially in a important game.
Law stood still for years, Ward not ready, what gives a fan the right to say who should or should not come on, key board warriors giving a opinion with no facts to back it up,
Cloughs record on academy players is exceptional, the last player he brought from Ilkeston town, was sold for one and a half million, played in the championship, and is now playing premier league football, Patience is a word fans do not understand, Saturday was not a bad result only for Grimsby,, and i can assure you we would walk the Sunday league
and Conference league takes some getting out of ask Torquay, Notts County, Stockport, Wrexam, Halifax, Hartlepool, Chesterfield, Yeovil, Barnett.
All these clubs would like to play in our Sunday league
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:08 pm

bellwhiff wrote:

Please remove it.

:lol: :lol:
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:16 pm

part time pete wrote:Do you think Young Nige is making a point to sharpy and the Radfords about how much needs to spent in the summer.

I think young Nige just wants to get this season over with and to get rid of around 10 players.

Some have never been good enough.

Some have become stale.

Some are out on loan.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:58 pm

Norman wrote:That’s what it felt like today! Wright and Ward fgs shouldn’t be nowhere near this club! And playing the liability Sweeney up front what the hell was all that about! And don’t get me started on Sarkic!

I just get the feeling Clough is trying to get us over the line with what we have then a big rebuild in the summer, with a proper break.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:31 pm

oldweststander wrote:

I think young Nige just wants to get this season over with and to get rid of around 10 players.

Some have never been good enough.

Some have become stale.

Some are out on loan.

Young Nige is 56 hardly young :D :D
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby Curry 9 Brace 7 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:44 pm

He'll always be young Cloughie compared to dad, Brian.
Curry 9 Brace 7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum