{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

First time I've been critical of clough.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: First time I've been critical of clough.

Postby Stag71 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:33 pm

I'm still of the opinion that Clough is working is working miracles with the really poor players he inherited from Coughlan, the substitutions today were somewhat bewildering however. We can't judge him on the dealings in January as that transfer window really is a bargain hunt scenario. Roll on the summer, I have every confidence he will ship out the dross!!
Stag71
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby frt1987 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:42 am

He said today that Reid is knackered but doesn’t play Sinclair.

Sarkic who replaced a couple of strikers with over 300 goals between them is injured more than he plays.

Playing twice a week for the last few weeks on heavy pitches was always going to mean injuries or at the very least tiredness.

Overall I thought the lowest ranked team in the league outplayed us today in most areas but at least they didn’t lose so the gap to them remains unchanged.

If Grimsby or Southend suddenly go on a 2 or 3 match winning run similar to what Barrow have done then we really do have problems
frt1987
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby oldweststander » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:07 am

I know he puts his smiling face towards the public but Nigel must be furious with both his players and himself.

We are short of players and having to play tired players leads to injuries and mistimed tackles etc.

Expecting Sweeney to be anything but rubbish up front was a miscalculation by Nigel, we would have been better keeping things more or less as they were, winning the game and taking on FGR on Tuesday with whoever can walk.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:44 am

oldweststander wrote:I know he puts his smiling face towards the public but Nigel must be furious with both his players and himself.

We are short of players and having to play tired players leads to injuries and mistimed tackles etc.

Expecting Sweeney to be anything but rubbish up front was a miscalculation by Nigel, we would have been better keeping things more or less as they were, winning the game and taking on FGR on Tuesday with whoever can walk.

Why are we short of players ? Do remind me.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:54 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
oldweststander wrote:I know he puts his smiling face towards the public but Nigel must be furious with both his players and himself.

Sharpe looking after Radford’s money?
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:00 pm

part time pete wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

Saving money whilst in a pandemic with no fans in all year, and hopefully meaning a bigger budget for the summer. They knew we had enough to stay up even without Maynard and Cook.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:31 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
bigalstag1 wrote:And if you keep putting the same crap out game after game, what do you get, youve guessed It, crap.

Who would you play Al?

What is our problem many of our players are on long contracts and during the summer window, pre, season was almost non existent, and this formed our squad until Jan.
Buying in Jan is hard, good players are very expensive, loan players this season have not got much game time, and finances are tight, so it becomes a balancing act.
what can be achieved, can we afford the risk financially what if we fail, can the club afford it. Mansfield had a poor start to the season and with many players being on a long contract
The goal set to the new management team, maintaining league status, and coming out of lock down in a strong financial position, and re evaluate in the summer.
New stand, Hotel, Ground improvement, even the big screen, all needing cash and a need to prioritise the next step, and of coarse discuss the playing budget.
keeping league status is the key, and we rely Clough to do it
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:17 pm

If we can't afford the wages of Cook and Maynard,where do you think the money for 7or 8 changes,new stands and scoreboard, hotels etc ,Is going to come from.
At best, we will have a Burton veterans and has beens squad, next season.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:23 pm

bigalstag1 wrote:If we can't afford the wages of Cook and Maynard,where do you think the money for 7or 8 changes,new stands and scoreboard, hotels etc ,Is going to come from.

I don't think it is so much a case of not being able to afford their wages, more a case of choosing not to afford them in line with a more sustainable financial plan.

David Sharpe and Clough were quite clear on this when they spoke at the fans' forum.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:01 pm

bigalstag1 wrote:If we can't afford the wages of Cook and Maynard,where do you think the money for 7or 8 changes,new stands and scoreboard, hotels etc ,Is going to come from.

Always look on the bright side of life.....
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:06 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

Always look on the bright side of life.....

Mr Negative, why bother.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:38 am

Cook and Maynard have both proved at their loan clubs they are at best average at league two level. My guess is their wages are top end league two level. The money needed to be saved. As for next years squad we will have to wait and see. You may be pleasantly surprised.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:46 am

One thing we are taking for granted is that fans will be back next season, perhaps yes in limited numbers, this covid 19 is still rife in many countries and it will effect us.
Spending money on players is always a big boost to fans, but bad investment on players always takes a club backward, Mansfield have been running a big wage bill
and it has took someone brave to reduce it, regards Cook and Maynard with their input, having Cane and Sarkic would be cover but that plan has gone out the window.
Injuries are part and parcel of the game and can have a big impact, If Clough succeeds with his cost cutting and we maintain league status, Mansfield Town will be in a better position to take on board the effects next season will bring, some clubs have invested money they cant afford to achieve their aim, and it will come back to bite them if they fail.
And if this pandemic effects next season, some clubs could be in a financial dilemma, So this season is not over for us , we have a target of 8 points out of some difficult games
And this decision to cut costs in January could make or brake us, In Clough i trust, and Mansfield Town fans are nervous, and every injury a blow
Football is definitely not boring.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:19 am

Amber Andy wrote:
Cook and Maynard have both proved at their loan clubs they are at best average at league two level. My guess is their wages are top end league two level. The money needed to be saved. As for next years squad we will have to wait and see. You may be pleasantly surprised.

4 goals plus assists in 9 games, says otherwise for Andy cook
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:48 am

PEAR CIDER wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Since Jan :

Andy Cook 4 goals 0 assists, a goal every 129 mins
Jordan Bowery 3 goals 2 assists, a goal every 326 mins
Jamie Reid 2 goals 2 assists, a goal every 476 minutes
Nicky Maynard 1 goal 1 assist, a goal every 729 minutes

So Andy Cook's goal record a lot better, but has been playing in a team in better form, which of course he has been a part of.

Maynard's contribution in terms of numbers has been very poor.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:19 pm

PEAR CIDER wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Cook is currently not a regular in the starting 11. If he was scoring goals on a regular basis he would be.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:22 pm

part time pete wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

Yes he probably is, hopefully with an eye on next season.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum