{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Codhead scorefred sponsored by goodbye Cleethorpes

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Codhead scorefred sponsored by goodbye Cleethorpes

Postby tillydog123 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:08 pm

Sweeney has become like Preston giving away fouls and being sent off etc
Offload him next season

Surely Clarke can handle 20 mins of football with his pedigree at Bristol
Imagine the likes of George Foster and Kevin Bird needing a break ,,
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Shep » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:12 pm

tillydog123 wrote:Sweeney has become like Preston giving away fouls and being sent off etc
Offload him next season

Surely Clarke can handle 20 mins of football with his pedigree at Bristol
Imagine the likes of George Foster and Kevin Bird needing a break ,,

Imagine how unfit they would look in the modern game..
Shep
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Billy the fish » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:53 am

Oldamber55 wrote:Bring back cook... at least he was a grafter... and always put a shift in ... Both Bowery and Reid I give up !!

Bowery is the best footballer at the club his 1st touch for division 4 is sublime not his fault he’s played affectively as a winger , Rawson also gets dogs abuse but is far better than people give him credit for . The rest ?? Apart from Lapslie I wouldn’t be bothered if he took the broom to the lot of them .
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:02 am

Billy the fish wrote:
Oldamber55 wrote:Bring back cook... at least he was a grafter... and always put a shift in ... Both Bowery and Reid I give up !!

Bowery is the best footballer at the club his 1st touch for division 4 is sublime not his fault he’s played affectively as a winger , Rawson also gets dogs abuse but is far better than people give him credit for . The rest ?? Apart from Lapslie I wouldn’t be bothered if he took the broom to the lot of them .

Bowery is far and away a better play out on the left in my opinion than he is at CF where the onus is on him to get the goals. The front line needs an overhaul, particularly at CF and RW where our options are actually shocking. Reid is well out of his depth, and Charsley (who has often played RW) is like bambi on ice.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:10 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Jordan Bowery is not marking anybody at the corner so he may have been responsible for guarding the area at the near post. He did make a good defensive header from a corner at the near post at the end of the 1st half.

I'll chalk it down to both Perch and Bowery.

definitely Perch in my opinion, not Bowery

I think Jordan Bowery has to take some of the blame Martin as well as James Perch and looking at his reaction after the goal Bowery knows it as well. He was given the near post area to guard and the corner drops right into that area.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:30 am

I see we lost the game 0.7 xG to 1.0 xG

We didn’t have any xG points after scoring our second goal and Grimsby didn’t have any xG points in the whole of the first half.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:11 am

It was a game of very few chances. I thought we had two chances in the first half and one in the second half. Grimsby had none in the first half and four in the second with three of them being set pieces.

It was amazing it finished at 2-2. :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Oldamber55 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:22 am

It boils down to poor or should I say strange recruitment... I baffled like a lot on here as to where we are going?
The signing of players over the last 18 months and the letting go of what were by far better players than what we have now is totally baffling...for me the only player who looks like building a team around is Lapslie...am I looking forward to next season? ... I hope so but with a bit of doubt.
Oldamber55
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:38 am

Oldamber55 wrote:It boils down to poor or should I say strange recruitment... I baffled like a lot on here as to where we are going?
The signing of players over the last 18 months and the letting go of what were by far better players than what we have now is totally baffling...for me the only player who looks like building a team around is Lapslie...am I looking forward to next season? ... I hope so but with a bit of doubt.

Who are those far better players we let go? Logan and Olejnik both pretty much retired. Pearce and Preston in non league, White not pulling up trees but JD bad injury, Bish retired, Mellis not done anything. Rose barely played in L1. Macca mostly a sub in L1. Davies not in the game, Khan playing regularly but not heard rave reviewed. Cool and Maynard have managed the same goals as Bowery and Reid but in better teams.

How far were we carried by Tyler Walker?

Only CJ has really gone on.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:42 am

Sweeney is a absolute liability at the minute, should not be near the currently.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:45 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Oldamber55 wrote:It boils down to poor or should I say strange recruitment... I baffled like a lot on here as to where we are going?

Who are those far better players we let go? Logan and Olejnik both pretty much retired. Pearce and Preston in non league, White not pulling up trees but JD bad injury, Bish retired, Mellis not done anything. Rose barely played in L1. Macca mostly a sub in L1. Davies not in the game, Khan playing regularly but not heard rave reviewed. Cool and Maynard have managed the same goals as Bowery and Reid but in better teams.

CJ not played for ages, is he crocked
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:49 am

Bringing on a player who hasnt featured for a while, and is always prone to an error anyway, was a poor management decision yesterday. Cool heads with the measure of the game were needed in that last 10 mins.
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:49 am

He's just coming back from injury I believe
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:51 am

The One wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

CJ not played for ages, is he crocked

Yes. Came back for a game (straight back into team) and broke down again.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:54 am

If you think it gets bleak on here when things are not going well then read The Fishy Forum's Match Day Thread especially the first 15 pages before the Mariners equalise.

There is one comment about Matt Green costing them £200k in wages in the last 2 years which is probably good value compared to Craig Davies :lol:

https://forum.thefishy.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-1616249633/s-0/
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:57 am

Depends what the recruitment strategy is if it’s recruiting ex Burton players coming to the end of their careers I’d be worried , Quinn is a good player that’s clear to see but struggles to see out 90mins . No one knows what that plan is yet but let’s hope they make a better job this summer than the last transfer window . Here’s hoping ..
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:57 am

MTFCMusings wrote:

Obviously, some of the decisions to release players was financially driven and I agreed with the decisions at the time.

But, had the finances not been part of the equation, then I would take Pearce (CB), Macca (RW) and Khan (LW) back in a heart beat as they would all improve on what we have.

I would have both Rose and Hamilton back too, but I stand by my view that selling them was financially the right decision for the club
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:23 am

For me the last 5 minutes summed it up with absolute panic stations.

The defence "generally" play well but as I said after the Crawley game they can't do it non stop for the full match. They are entitled to expect some respite by either the team scoring. ...going forward. ...or at least the ball not coming straight back.

I'm no fan of Jamie Reid but he's not the only culprit. It seems that our attacking midfielders and forwards simply can't trap and hold up a ball to allow attacks to develop. By the law of averages then something usually gives in the end.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Oldamber55 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:43 pm

No of us know or should know what the financial side in respect of letting players go ... all we do is guess and speculate
As to next move will be ....as for Logan.... was he better than the keeper we have now ? and the others on the list..
Olejnik ok retried ( lucky sod)..but who wouldn’t want want Rose,Hamilton,Macca,bish,& chief back... ? But I agree we move on, but where are we going... but my main topic was recruitment.
Oldamber55
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bear 73 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:44 pm

Wow what a melt down, before the game 9 posters thought we would not win and 11 thought we would, PATIENCE was the word when clough came in, and in the fans forum..
Having had unrivaled success over the last 17 years, most fans can relate to watching some of the best players at the One Call Stadium.
Here we are at the business end of the season where grinding out results is the key , either a relegation or promotion battle. it makes it harder playing Sat, Tues every week,With
This year like no other with a pandemic , we have no fans, social distancing and player interaction minimal, also the financial stability of our club relevant.
We have seen young players being thrown in at the deep end, and players playing through the pain barrier for the cause, we wanted substitutes and we got them.
With Grimsby throwing everything into our goal area, Bowery, Reid, Maris, Law, after being roughed up and shattered, were brought off, and this was a chance for Sarkic to run at them
Well that failed he pulled his hamstring, so in order to keep what we had, on came .Wright, Sweeney, Ward, to cope with their aerial threat, And of coarse Sweeney who should know better gave away a silly free kick, which cost us a goal, So in a important game we kept them 14 points adrift of us, and are still 11 points clear of the drop zone, and now 10 games to go.
With Forest Green, Tranmere, Orient, and Exeter to come, this season is far from over, Grimsby must be shell shocked 8 points of safety and after this result are now 10 points adrift
looks like we did ok, we know our weakness both penalty areas, now we must concentrate on maintaining our league status , its not the time to show weakness.
we are were we are ,better off than 8 other teams ,Tues is another day,
Rawson who many on here wanted his head was magnificent he was kicked from pillar to post, and still stood tall, and coped with there physical approach.
It goes to show villain today, hero tomorrow, a lot of these players are on a learning curve, and will be the base for next season,
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:47 pm

Think ive got a bit blase this season ,watching the game i was delighted when we scored,but not at all shocked when we conceded ,put it down to the fact that i think we are safe or ,that its not the most engrossing spectacle to watch ,the substitutions were baffling to say the least ,just roll on next season in the hope that we can mount a decent challenge
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby victor A block » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:18 pm

Having watched the last 15 minutes of that fans are right to express concern . The manager is obviously defending what he has got until the season end . Understandable.
He's got a lot of work in the summer on his plate though , particularly down the spine of the team .
Goalkeeper . Quality signing essential . I think most if us thought Stech had the pedigree but he has been poor and Stone hasn't stepped up .
In defence Rawson is emerging as a good signing as is Gordon . Gaps elsewhere .
Midfield is our strongest area but it's still hard to define real roles there with all the chopping and changing .
Cloughs insistence on playing Reid must make Sinclair question why he is on the bench . I've found myself watching Reid willing him to do well but it's not just his goal tally that's the issue . His reading of the game is such that his is always the wrong side of the defender . He also never moves or anticipates creating space in the box . The one time he got it right was Oldham away . Not enough in 30 plus games . At least 2 quality strikers needed .
The managers 6 or 7 in at the summer certainly isn't an exaggeration.
Last edited by victor A block on Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Oldamber55 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:25 pm

Wow!... that’s put us in our place....!!
Oldamber55
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dan » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:29 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Dan wrote:It’ll be 0-0 or we’ll lose, this thread will get to 18 pages and the usual moaners will be having a field day regarding our impending relegation.

Then we’ll beat FGR on Tuesday and everything will be ok for a few more days!

Only 18 Dan ? :D

Disappointingly only 14 mate but I was close! :D
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:24 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
lifestags wrote:What I can’t get my head around is why we kept giving away stupid free kicks.

We gave away 14 free kicks and George Williams scored from the 13th free kick that Ryan Sweeney gave away.

Grimsby also scored from their 2nd corner.

We could have 30 corners a game and never trouble their keeper.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum