{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Kellan Gordon

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Kellan Gordon

Postby Dibble-24 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:18 pm

What becomes more apparent to me each game is that Gordon is not a defender. Many goals have come from him being the wrong side of his man and his lack of positional sense when defending. I think he is an excellent player going forward and is one of our most dangerous players. In my opinion he is being expected to play too many rolls, ie. full back, wing half and winger. I have counted six goals conceded due in my opinion to his poor defending and marking. You can't beat a natural defender in my opinion. I would like to see young Clarke given a run at full back with Gordon played further up the pitch as I do think he should be an integral part of the team . Opinions?
Dibble-24
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Kellan Gordon

Postby yorkstag » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:42 pm

In the end it all comes down to formations. I agree Gordon is not the best defender but is definitely a threat I wouldn’t want to lose.

I think Clarke and O’Keefe have been unlucky ( but I don’t see training). I’ve always liked Clarke and would like to see him given an opportunity before the end of the season.

Agree with you sentiments completely
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:50 pm

I have been saying this for most of the season and I think you will find it is many more than 6 goals. I also think he is a lucky player as the vast majority of his many mistakes go unpunished and he gets away with the full irk of the fans.

I also agree he has some talent going forward but until he’s played a few games at the front, I can’t judge if he’s good enough to dislodge his team mates on a regular basis. I would give O’Keefe a run at full back to see if he can develop and start Gordon on the wing. If he’s not making it happen he could always be substituted around 70 minutes but he deserves several cracks at the position before the end of the season. I would not start him at full back again as I feel he’s had more than enough chances there and has failed. We can’t carry him in defence any longer.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:31 pm

There is clearly something about O'Keefe that Clough doesn't like and so we can only assume that he will be going. Clarke is still young but from what i have seen of him, i think he has a future. Personally, I would prefer O'Keefe or Clarke to be at right back for the rest of the season.
If we can get to 50 points and safety quickly then i would hope that he would put Clarke in (if we assume that O'Keefe has no future at the club)
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:55 pm

I think I’m now in the minority that still think he will make a career at right back.

He will learn from his mistakes. I don’t think yesterday was even that much of a mistake. He could’ve done better, but wouldn’t say it was a glaring error like the two at Barrow.

He’s a young player with a future, again playing his first real full season in a team which has struggled for most of it. There’s clearly potential there that Clough and Sharpe see, probably looking at the likes of James Justin, Jack Stacey, Perry Ng etc etc. Who have all been sold on for a nice profit.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:09 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:I think I’m now in the minority that still think he will make a career at right back.

He will learn from his mistakes. I don’t think yesterday was even that much of a mistake. He could’ve done better, but wouldn’t say it was a glaring error like the two at Barrow.

He’s a young player with a future, again playing his first real full season in a team which has struggled for most of it. There’s clearly potential there that Clough and Sharpe see, probably looking at the likes of James Justin, Jack Stacey, Perry Ng etc etc. Who have all been sold on for a nice profit.

I don’t disagree with you about his potential. I think yesterday wasn’t really just about Kellan. Sometimes it’s about mental strength , awareness and context of the game.
Given we need to grind points out , we’re at 0-0 and in injury time the organisation was poor.
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:32 pm

Clough to me has been to lenient on mistakes, hoping confidence is the issue Gordon we have a choice midfield or right wing, as a defender league 2 attackers leave him for dead to often and he is not learning , twice for instance on Sat he lost his concentration and left us wide open, Who is to blame well Clough he sees it happening and hopes they will learn, and we lose again.
This is league 2 and top 12 is a must, if we have better players in midfield and right wing, then Gordon has no role at the club, our defense is wide open and he has been a major player
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:34 pm

yorkstag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:I think I’m now in the minority that still think he will make a career at right back.

I don’t disagree with you about his potential. I think yesterday wasn’t really just about Kellan. Sometimes it’s about mental strength , awareness and context of the game.
Given we need to grind points out , we’re at 0-0 and in injury time the organisation was poor.
I agree Yorkstag. I think we need to keep an arms length from the bottom two, as I don't think some of our players would be mentally equipped for a proper relegation scrap. The Grimsby game is a "no lose game".
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:53 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
yorkstag wrote:

I agree Yorkstag. I think we need to keep an arms length from the bottom two, as I don't think some of our players would be mentally equipped for a proper relegation scrap. The Grimsby game is a "no lose game".

We would still be 11pts clear of Grimsby even if we lost.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:55 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
yorkstag wrote:

Haha. Come on. Have a word.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:59 pm

Kellan is nowhere near the standard of players you have used to make your point...
Nowhere near....
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:01 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:

Kellan is nowhere near the standard of players you have used to make your point...
Nowhere near....

I know, I agree he’s not going to reach their level. He’s the same age more or less as them. But that will be their thinking, that they can improve him and sell him on, hence the new two year deal.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:13 pm

Get Ganna in at full back
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum