{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Crawley score thread sponsored by 2 on the bounce

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Crawley score thread sponsored by 2 on the bounce

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:13 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
1970Stag wrote:8 points from a possible 33 is it now? That's relegation form. Southend keep picking up points and are only 10 points away. People keep talking about next season, but the bulk of this very poor team is still going to be here if he's only bringing in 7-8.

We’ve got 11pts from a possible 33, Southend have 10 over the same period.

Before today we had 11pts from the last 10. 7 teams had worse form, 5 are still below us in the table.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:13 pm

On a plus note salford took their biggest away support to the papa john trophy final exactly 0,zero raspberry all ,no one
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:15 pm

1970Stag wrote:
Sneag wrote:
1970Stag wrote:8 points from a possible 33 is it now? That's relegation form. Southend keep picking up points and are only 10 points away. People keep talking about next season, but the bulk of this very poor team is still going to be here if he's only bringing in 7-8.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Christ all flipping mighty, sure sign we lost a game.

We could declare now & we'd still probably stay up.

Yep and we might just stay up again next season, but that isn't what we want is it? Clough has had one transfer window, and it appears to have made this team worse. Let's hope he gets it right in the next one. And I dont expect promotion, I just want to be looking at the playoffs, rather than over our shoulder all season.

When the transfer window opened we were 21st. We’re now 16th.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:19 pm

1970Stag wrote:
Sneag wrote:

Yep and we might just stay up again next season, but that isn't what we want is it? Clough has had one transfer window, and it appears to have made this team worse. Let's hope he gets it right in the next one. And I dont expect promotion, I just want to be looking at the playoffs, rather than over our shoulder all season.

We'll be nearer the top 7 than the bottom 2 next season. No backward glances to the bottom 2 will be made. Chill the raspberry out.

Seriously mate, if you've been watching Stags since 1970 where does this bizarre sense of entitlement come from? 'Cos I've been watching since 1974and we've been an at best average 4th tier side for most of that 47 years. Sometimes we'll have a good season, which is nice and sometimes we'll be proper garbage. But mostly very very average.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby nigegray » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:20 pm

Torrystag wrote:Were safe just chill

Im glad your so sure pal.?
playing like brazil one in 5 matches doesnt bring many points till end of season
nigegray
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sneag » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:21 pm

nigegray wrote:

playing like brazil one in 5 matches doesnt bring many points till end of season

We don't need many.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:21 pm

Rob wrote:Tough to pick a MoM, possibly Stech for that save?

That was the kiss of death Rob :(
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:22 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:

Perch was solid today.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby nigegray » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:24 pm

Sneag wrote:
nigegray wrote:

We don't need many.

You now what its a bloody good job we dont!!!
nigegray
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:25 pm

Sneag wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:To be fair we had a striker on the right wing. Right winger at right back. Right back at centre back and 2 centre backs on the bench. Then you get people saying we look all over the place. I wonder why?

Kellan Gordon has played 99.9% of his games for Stags at right back or wing back.

Bowery has been coming in from wide pretyy much all season & by his standards has had a productive season.

The bench was all our available senior pros and a couple of lads.

We lost our shape a bit after Clarke went off IMO, but we allowed them to create very little all the same.

Wing back is not the same as full back. On is attacking with the occasional defensive duty. The other is defending with occasional attacking duty.

I'd much rather kellan play wing back with a back 3 also mal on the other side. If we are playing a back 4 then I feel Gordon is better suited further forward. If we get an injury at right back amd there's no option then I'm perfectly happy for Gordon to fill in.

I wasn't referring to Bowery, if you want to get technical he would suit coming in from the left as that has been more productive.

The problem Clough has is he's a guy who prefers a back 4 (nothing wrong with that). He's inherited good central midfielders and signed 2 more. So he plays midfield 3. He's got 2 available strikers (I suppose 3 because that was what law was initially signed as but at 16 you don't know what position you'll end up playing) and he seems to like his teams to have some width. So 2 out wide and one central.

So what's the solution? Change formation? It'd be pretty pointless right now. Will O'Keeffe and Riley be released, maybe Perch too, at the end of the season and sign new? For all we know Clough could have evaluated all the available right backs at the club and decided Gordon is the best available, that's concerning if so.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:25 pm

nigegray wrote:

Southend ,grimsby and others would be happy
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby 1970Stag » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:30 pm

Sneag wrote:
1970Stag wrote:
Sneag wrote:

We'll be nearer the top 7 than the bottom 2 next season. No backward glances to the bottom 2 will be made. Chill the raspberry out.

Seriously mate, if you've been watching Stags since 1970 where does this bizarre sense of entitlement come from? 'Cos I've been watching since 1974and we've been an at best average 4th tier side for most of that 47 years. Sometimes we'll have a good season, which is nice and sometimes we'll be proper garbage. But mostly very very average.

Do you even read my post? "bizarre sense of entitlement" I clearly said I dont expect promotion! And I totally agree, we are a bang average league 2 side, with an occasional promotion to league 1. The last one of those though was in 2001-02, 20 years ago! And the one before that 91-92, two in 30 years, god it's grim being a Stags supporter. Maybe 2021/22 will bring us luck as we do like a promotion with a 1 in the year. There are some posters who moan after every defeat, and there are some posters who moan occasionally after a lot of defeats and poor performances, it's a forum I can do that. I truly hope you are right about us being nearer the Top 7 than the bottom 2 next season, I just struggle to see it at the moment when we cant keep a clean sheet, cant create very much and have scored 4 in the last 6, with 3 of those in one game. Carlisle and Grimsby next, both winnable games.
1970Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stagdale » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:33 pm

When will this manager learn that Gordon will never ever ever be a full back? Winger perhaps if his crossing improves. How many more goals have we got to concede from the rhs? I have lost count this season. I think Stech should have done better at his near post too.
Stagdale
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby northern stag » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:35 pm

Sneag wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:

Perch was solid today.

Perch for me as MOM in fact both CBs did well whereas both full backs were ropey, I’ve been a fan of Mal over the years but I think the time is coming for a change, and Gordon just isn’t a natural defender, plus his crossing today was awful
northern stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:36 pm

Grimsby will be a massive game.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby old ram stag » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:36 pm

Stech was to blame he should not be beat at his near post so easy across his body
old ram stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:40 pm

Stagdale wrote:When will this manager learn that Gordon will never ever ever be a full back? Winger perhaps if his crossing improves. How many more goals have we got to concede from the rhs? I have lost count this season. I think Stech should have done better at his near post too.

I'm sure he knows Gordon's strengths and weaknesses. The coaching staff will be working to improve him ( as they will with all the players). They are preparing for next season. We were always going to be bottom third this season.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:42 pm

Stagdale wrote:When will this manager learn that Gordon will never ever ever be a full back? Winger perhaps if his crossing improves. How many more goals have we got to concede from the rhs? I have lost count this season. I think Stech should have done better at his near post too.

I don't think Gordon's crossing has been bad at all. Today it was 50/50 I will agree but usually it's where you'd want a cross to be put in. A Richie Barker type player would be on double figures from headers alone off his crossing.

Ask yourself this. How many times has Gordon's crosses have been shanked out for a goal kick this season? Not many is my guess.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:42 pm

Not allowed to criticise Sneags No1 old ram.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:45 pm

Clough losing patience with the defence and keepers listening to his interview.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:45 pm

A goalkeeper and at least two defenders will be on the shopping list in the summer.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:49 pm

A poor scrappy game. It looked like we had ground out a point and a draw would have been a fair result. We did not create enough particularly in the 2nd half to deserve to win the game but we defended well until Crawley's last attack in injury time when Kellan Gordon lost James Tilley and Marek Stech lets a shot in at his near post.

I thought Mal Benning and Stephen McLaughlin were our best players in the first half; and James Perch and Stephen Quinn the best players in the 2nd half. Farrend Rawson was solid throughout. They were our best players today. I'll give James Perch MOM for his strong second half. Kellan Gordon was having a reasonable game until the lack of the concentration at the end. There were plenty of crosses again (14) from both Kellan Gordon and Mal Benning like at Barrow but the quality of the cross was not good enough.

Ollie Clarke and Jason Law were not in the game in the first half and I would not have been surprised if Nigel Clough had subbed both of them at half time. Keaton Ward added a bit more energy at the start of the 2nd half and then faded away. Stephen McLaughlin had a good first half and was getting on the ball a lot although he gave the ball away too much which applied to most of the team. We could have done with George Lapslie being available to strengthen the midfield.

Jamie Reid and Jordan Bowery worked hard up front but lost possession too much. They did not have much service in the 2nd half. I would have kept Jamie Reid on as at least he had a few shots at goal. Tyrese Sinclair came on and won his free kick which was the nearest we came to winning the game.

We currently have a paper thin squad which needs some quality additions if we are going to challenge next season. Nigel Clough will get his chance to do that in the summer. In the meantime, we need to grind out another ten points.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:52 pm

Blaming Stech is a tad harsh. I've closed it down so can't look back at it but people are going on like he was beat by a shot at the byline.

Wasn't it a shot from just inside the area around 16 or so yards from the byline on the left surrounded by 2 or 3 stags players? It's hardly a super tight angle. Maybe Stech was expecting his defence to clear like I was.

Even if Stech is at fault he gets a pass for the great save while the player was in loads of space 12 yards out near the centre of the botch. Had that gone in and he saved that. We wouldn't be blaming Stech for any of the result. We'll maybe some will still.

I'll have to watch it again.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:56 pm

He was beaten at his near post Gazza. It’s just a no no in goalkeeping.

I make that 12pts lost in the final 10mins of games.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:06 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:He was beaten at his near post Gazza. It’s just a no no in goalkeeping.

I make that 12pts lost in the final 10mins of games.

Our Nigel has changed the mindset to an extent, but there is nothing he can do about individual errors. The ones making the errors, switching off, know they are on borrowed time for if they are playing for a new contract they are very much mistaken. A clear out is coming.

We will be in a situation next season where we will start with a side that none of us will have seen most of the players play for Mansfield in the flesh this season. And that will be no bad thing.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum