{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stagsnet report Cheltenham game

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Stagsnet report Cheltenham game

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:18 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:16 pm

my detailed report now on
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Bradders » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:11 pm

I thought that the ref had an excellent game, and deserved a better score. The Barrow ref was awful and ruined the match with his fussy whistleblowing and debatable decisions, but the Cheltenham official let the game flow and understood that a bit of contact is part of the game.
But they both received 7/10, which is a little surprising.
Otherwise, no complaints and thanks for another superb job.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:24 pm

Thanks for the positive comments.

The ref had a good game I thought, hence I simply gave a 7.

I always give a lot of thought to player ratings. But to be honest I give very little thought to ref rating, because I am not so interested, and certainly not attempting to compare across games.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby part time pete » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:29 pm

Generally, I find the ref has a good game when we win and a poor game if we lose. ;)
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Stoney » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:58 pm

I posted in another thread about the ref, one of the best we have had for a long time and he let the game flow which was a major factor in us seeing such an entertaining game. Deserved a 9 for me.

Looks like it was third time lucky for him reffing the Stags. He got replaced before the game at Oldham this season by the fourth official and he had to leave the pitch reffing Barnet v Stags some time ago!
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:42 am

part time pete wrote:Generally, I find the ref has a good game when we win and a poor game if we lose. ;)

True pete, it is so. One tends not to notice em so much when on top in the game. But when getting tonked in general you grasp at every rotten straw to justify why yoj are so garbage
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:27 am

part time pete wrote:Generally, I find the ref has a good game when we win and a poor game if we lose. ;)

I do remember Stags fans giving a ref absolute pelters as he walked of the pitch after we'd beaten Bishop Stortford 6-0 in the cup, thanks in part to his horrendous performance. :lol:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:20 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:Thanks for the positive comments.

The ref had a good game I thought, hence I simply gave a 7.

I always give a lot of thought to player ratings. But to be honest I give very little thought to ref rating, because I am not so interested, and certainly not attempting to compare across games.

Why even bother with referee ratings then ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:21 pm

Sneag wrote:

I do remember Stags fans giving a ref absolute pelters as he walked of the pitch after we'd beaten Bishop Stortford 6-0 in the cup, thanks in part to his horrendous performance. :lol:

He was the same ref as the Barrow game last week

C Boyeson (E Yorkshire) 5 - Technically correct to send the Stortford player off, but all those watching would rather him used his common sense.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:51 pm

part time pete wrote:
Sneag wrote:

He was the same ref as the Barrow game last week

C Boyeson (E Yorkshire) 5 - Technically correct to send the Stortford player off, but all those watching would rather him used his common sense.

The raspberry clearly remembered us then. :lol:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Re: Stagsnet report Cheltenham game

Postby Bradders » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:58 pm

I thought that today's ref also had a good game, and the fact that we lost didn't make me change my mind. The refereeing style and competence is a very important factor in both the entertainment value of the match, and quite often the result.

The ideal ref would just make firm but fair and consistent decisions, prioritise the game flow, and have the knack of fading into the background when not required.

Perhaps to get a 9, a ref would have to be under duress at some point and do the right thing, and if there is no difficult decision to make you'd be tempted to rate him lower. However, a really good official would nip problems in the bud and anticipate situations, so as to give the appearance of having an easy game. A bit like a great footballer who always makes the game look easy.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum