{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Jason Law

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Jason Law

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:48 pm

I thought it was worth a thread on the start about Jason Law after two and a bit fairly decent appearances. He is only 21 but has been held back from league appearances which had made me wonder whether he was ever going to be considered good enough.
To me, he appears to be someone who deserves to in and around the first team for the next few years. He is nowhere near the finished article, taking too long on the ball before shooting and a couple of times where his inexperience showed but there does appear to be footballing brain in there. It is also nice to see someone who can take a decent corner. He has looked more impactful so far than Ali Smith ever did when he came on and if you consider that Jack Thomas made 50+ appearances, Jason has a future at the club and can learn from a strong midfield.
Last edited by georgefostersbeard on Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Re: Jason Law

Postby Spiritater » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:58 pm

Sounded like the gaffer may rest him on bench Tues as he said he was cream crackered. He did fine for me and sends a message out to Harry that you've competition for your place. If you dont perform Jason's more than capable of stepping in and taking your place so shape up lad or else
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:46 pm

It's so hard for young lads trying to breakthrough. Football is a ruthless business. Getting into the team is one thing but keeping your place is another as the likes of Jack Thomas and Liam Marsden discovered. You are only as good as your last game.

Jason did ok yesterday. He nearly got an assist when Jordan Bowery's shot was saved early on and took a couple of decent corners. He needs to get a shot off quicker when he gets the chance but the same applies to Jordan Bowery, Jamie Reid and Ollie Clarke. He was also one of the main culprits for giving the ball away or losing possession along with Ollie Clarke and Mal Benning.

Harry Charsley is more of an attacking threat with goals and assists but he probably needs a rest.

Stephen Quinn clearly struggles to last 90 minutes although I prefer to keep him on the pitch like yesterday and just tell him to sit in the middle.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:51 pm

Like any young player blows hot and cold, and in a difficult season has become part of the squad, playing him yesterday was a bold move by the manager knowing it would be a difficult game with limited space, i trust Clough with players and if they are not fully committed they dont play for Mansfield. Well Done Son
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:59 pm

I expect to see "unchanged" again on tuesday. Unless there's an injury, obviously.

If he gets tired just take him off earlier.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:10 pm

gave me a big thumbs-up as he drove past me going into the ground yesterday. I guessed that meant he was happy with the man of the match rating I gave him last week.

I think he is doing really well and has so far taken the chance offered to him. Well done. Needs to keep it going.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:12 pm

He was much more effecting than Charsley has been in the last three games or so. He managed to hold on to the ball at least and allow us to sustain pressure up the pitch.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:13 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:gave me a big thumbs-up as he drove past me going into the ground yesterday. I guessed that meant he was happy with the man of the match rating I gave him last week.

I think he is doing really well and has so far taken the chance offered to him. Well done. Needs to keep it going.

He’s such a lovely lad. I’m really pleased for him
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:21 pm

The difficulty for him is that our midfield is probably our strongest area with Clarke, Quinn and Maris. That should be good for him though because he's around better players and if he can start to knock on the door of the first team at 21, bodes well for him.

Here's where the hard work pays off.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:33 pm

He has fitted in well ,doesnt look out of place in the starting 11 ,but some were slating him yesterday on the match thread if hes good enough for nigel ,who are we to argue
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby lifestags » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:49 pm

I thought he did well yesterday, got himself into some good positions and showed enough confidence to run with the ball, it was good to have a left footer out there and because it was natural for him to cut inside it gave Gordon space on the overlap. Charlsey and Gordon can sometimes get in each other’s way.

He’s doing well, I am pleased for him.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:13 pm

Did well.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:07 pm

He did do very well.

The thing with some fans, and I'm sure every other club has them too, is they expect 10/10 performances or they are trash.

I'm enjoying seeing Law's name on the team sheet. This is the upside of Clough's view of if it isn't broke don't fix it. He will keep his place again on Tuesday, this is a good way to blood youngsters. In my opinion we won't go down this season and we won't go up (outside of a freak set of results) so I wouldn't be too bothered if he makes mistakes. He could be directly responsible for us conceding on Tuesday and I wouldn't be too bothered, a good measure of a player isn't whether he doesn't make mistakes but how he reacts to a big mistake. He will fluff his lines at some point.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Kernow » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:11 pm

Good spot from Adam Murray, even though we signed him as a striker lol
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:26 pm

Theres a big gap between our academy and some others but the likes of Charsley, O'Driscoll etc who come from premier league academies probably aren't any better or any more prepared for league two than some of our lads, Just need a manager to trust them and give them games at the right time.

Always thought Law has looked good when he's played and did well yesterday.

There also seems to be an expectation that if they're from our YT, they have to be 10's every week and soon ready to sell for millions. Squad players and steady first team players at this level are also valuable, even better when they're produced from within. Saves on wages and fee's and you know they will always give their all.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:40 pm

Think nigel prefers steady eddies every day of the week ,give him a player who is 7/10 every week and he will play him ,just my opinion
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:42 pm

Torrystag wrote:Think nigel prefers steady eddies every day of the week ,give him a player who is 7/10 every week and he will play him ,just my opinion

Out of interest, do you think this is a good thing?
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:05 pm

I thought he did ok . Nothing more or less . Fine for a team looking to avoid relegation. Not seen enough yet to suggest he can help push us further than that . Depends how much he improves with first team experience.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:43 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing him play when we're back to having a bit of swagger about us and are knocking it about.

He's clearly decent on the ball and has been really unlucky that a couple of his through balls, or corners for that matter, haven't resulted in goals.

I think he was a bit unfortunate to make his debut against an ugly side like Harrogate but think he did well on Saturday and will be a threat once he gets a bit more confident.

I do still think Sarkic will turn out to be a better player on the right of the 3 up top but it's no good if he can't get and stay fit.

I hope Jason plays on Tuesday, maybe centrally n the Lapslie role and I also hope at some point Sinclair gets a full game as well.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:29 am

georgefostersbeard wrote:
Torrystag wrote:Think nigel prefers steady eddies every day of the week ,give him a player who is 7/10 every week and he will play him ,just my opinion

Yes i do ,in league two football its probably more helpful as the quality is less so than higher up so consistency is key
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby georgefostersbeard » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:37 am

Torrystag wrote:
georgefostersbeard wrote:

Yes i do ,in league two football its probably more helpful as the quality is less so than higher up so consistency is key

Agreed, 7/10 most weeks and the odd 10/10 performance will win the league
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:36 am

broomo wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing him play when we're back to having a bit of swagger about us and are knocking it about.

He's clearly decent on the ball and has been really unlucky that a couple of his through balls, or corners for that matter, haven't resulted in goals.

I think he was a bit unfortunate to make his debut against an ugly side like Harrogate but think he did well on Saturday and will be a threat once he gets a bit more confident.

I do still think Sarkic will turn out to be a better player on the right of the 3 up top but it's no good if he can't get and stay fit.

I hope Jason plays on Tuesday, maybe centrally n the Lapslie role and I also hope at some point Sinclair gets a full game as well.

I agree he looks OK on the ball. Not sure he has the pace to play the way Lapslie does.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:39 am

post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:56 am

Can only really assess him when given game time so expect him to feature quite a lot till end of season. He’s doing well
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Chris M » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:59 pm

We should be rejoicing that a home grown player has broken into the first team. I cannot remember many that have done that since we rejoined the football league, apart from Jack Thomas. Others have appeared but have soon moved on. Let us hope that the investment in our youth system starts to pay off.
Chris M
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum