{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Retained List 2021

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Retained List

Postby Captain Cunno » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:49 pm

I dont think we are that far away defensive side wise other than a keeper as he clearly don't rate Stech.

The midfield is pretty much sorted in NC eyes I reckon...

It's up front that needs major surgery...

I expect at least 2 or maybe 3 strikers coming in.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:07 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:I dont think we are that far away defensive side wise other than a keeper as he clearly don't rate Stech.

don't agree on the defence, we've always got an error in the back 4 and from what Clough will have seen of Sweeney I don't think he'll be too convinced.

Not expecting many midfielders in the summer, mostly a goalie and defence n midfield
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:34 pm

I don’t think Sweeney is as bad as some make out on here. I’ve left Field Mill a few times this season thinking he did well/ok then read the match thread and thought I’d been at a different game.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:40 pm

Dan wrote:I don’t think Sweeney is as bad as some make out on here. I’ve left Field Mill a few times this season thinking he did well/ok then read the match thread and thought I’d been at a different game.

Hes been like benning, Sweeney and Benning were fantastic under Flitcroft, but under Dempster and Coughlan those two just have not been the same to me. I know we've been in poor form as a club for nearly two seasons and performances have dropped. Not saying Sweeney is terrible, but has not made as much progress as Id imagined since signing.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:15 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:I dont think we are that far away defensive side wise other than a keeper as he clearly don't rate Stech.

don't agree on the defence, we've always got an error in the back 4 and from what Clough will have seen of Sweeney I don't think he'll be too convinced.

Not expecting many midfielders in the summer, mostly a goalie and defence n midfield

I can see us signing a winger/forward of some sort, possibly a CM, not sold on Quinn.. probably Akins? Definitely need a full back or two, keeper, centre back and two strikers... anyone else think we will need about 6/7 new faces?

Stags member of staff, gary crosby maybe at Kilmarnock v Dundee, number of players that we could have been looking at.. Marc McNulty? Nigel has signed a few from that league before hasnt he?
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:20 pm

Dan wrote:I don’t think Sweeney is as bad as some make out on here. I’ve left Field Mill a few times this season thinking he did well/ok then read the match thread and thought I’d been at a different game.

Sweeney has always been pretty good when I've seen him... hes only 23 as well, Faz 24. Id sign an experienced CB for one of them to play along side. New RB that can first and foremost defend is a must.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:19 pm

Need a keeper and Stone as back up.

Need a right back, Gordan as back up.
Rawson and 3 more CBs.
2 left backs

Maris, Clarke, Lapsile, Charsley and hopefully a proper defensive midfielder.

A striker, then Bowery and probably Akins in a 3. Charlsey/Law/Sinclair as cover.

Law, Knowles and Sinclair keep around the 1st team.

Release/Transfer list the rest.
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:12 pm

Sweeney and Rawson showed signs of forming a good partnership. What got me was at the time of jake Wright signing the partnership broke down and Clough said he'd been training with us and was partnered with either Rawson or Sweeney in the training games (or words to that effect) for a month or so before he signed. At the time it seemed to coincide with their form dropping off. They stopped training alongside each other and we started conceding left right and centre.

As for a retained list it would depend on what formation we are playing next season. Will Clough play the 4-3-3/4-5-1or 4-4-2 diamond or 4-2-3-1?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:31 pm

I think he’ll want to play the 4-3-3.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby DURHAM STAG » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:37 am

I don't think there will be many players leaving at the end of the season - two year contracts may put paid to that, and I think some of the players who could be released should stay - Perch, McLoughlin, Quinn for example. What we don't need are 20 players out and a different 20 in, and I think Nigel will go for three or four carefully selected players to add to those he keeps. Dave Smith turned a poor (73-74) team into a title winning team (74-75) by really only adding two players - Gordon Hodgson and Ray Clarke. The current squad might need 4 or 5 but quality not quantity is the priority.
DURHAM STAG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Richard Cranium » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:54 am

We need 4 or 5 in the forward positions alone
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:19 am

DURHAM STAG wrote:I don't think there will be many players leaving at the end of the season - two year contracts may put paid to that, and I think some of the players who could be released should stay - Perch, McLoughlin, Quinn for example. What we don't need are 20 players out and a different 20 in, and I think Nigel will go for three or four carefully selected players to add to those he keeps. Dave Smith turned a poor (73-74) team into a title winning team (74-75) by really only adding two players - Gordon Hodgson and Ray Clarke. The current squad might need 4 or 5 but quality not quantity is the priority.

Really?

Nigels already said he'll be bringing in more than you think.

I wouldn't keep any of the three you've mentioned above that's what makes opinions so good :D
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:21 am

Richard Cranium wrote:We need 4 or 5 in the forward positions alone

5? Cant see it being that many!

It'll be Bowrey, Reid (maybe if hes not sent on loan) and two others plus someone like Akins who can play multiple positions.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:22 am

Nigel said he would be looking to bring in 7/8 new bodies, but given how cheesed off he’s been with performances since then, that number could easily have increased.

We’re also assuming that we will be able to keep all those that we want to keep.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:27 am

MTFCMusings wrote:I think he’ll want to play the 4-3-3.

Hope so! Watched Burton destroy a side with really good attacking football and they played 433.. im sure Alex MacDonald was on the right wing too!
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:39 am

It’s clear that we need at least one striker who can score goals. We apparently are creating loads of chances. We need a proven goal scorer more than anything else. I honestly think that if we’d bagged on in January that we’d be sniffing the play offs.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:05 am

Good forward thinking belly boy, with a lot on here thinking of whole sale changes and we have a poor squad, it just shows some of us think with a few additions and starting from scratch
we can give it a good go next season.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:16 am

Sedgwick wrote:

Hope so! Watched Burton destroy a side with really good attacking football and they played 433.. im sure Alex MacDonald was on the right wing too!

Alex MacDonald has never played under Nigel Clough.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:10 pm

James wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Didn't say he had?
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:39 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
James wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Didn't say he had?

You said you watched a Burton side destroy a team playing 433 with MacDonald on the right wing, which was probably 2-3 years after Clough left Burton. Now unless we're discussing the retained list for another side that i don't know about, its got nothing to do with Clough.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:03 pm

James wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
James wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Didn't say he had?

You said you watched a Burton side destroy a team playing 433 with MacDonald on the right wing, which was probably 2-3 years after Clough left Burton. Now unless we're discussing the retained list for another side that i don't know about, its got nothing to do with Clough.

We were talking about 433, I mentioned a time I saw a team play 433 to perfection and rip a side to bits...

433 is my preferred formation for attacking football, so I hope he will go for it. Very entertaining to watch
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:04 pm

Woo woo vehicle reversing
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby oldweststander » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:26 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Sweeney and Rawson showed signs of forming a good partnership. What got me was at the time of jake Wright signing the partnership broke down and Clough said he'd been training with us and was partnered with either Rawson or Sweeney in the training games (or words to that effect) for a month or so before he signed. At the time it seemed to coincide with their form dropping off. They stopped training alongside each other and we started conceding left right and centre.

As for a retained list it would depend on what formation we are playing next season. Will Clough play the 4-3-3/4-5-1or 4-4-2 diamond or 4-2-3-1?

I think Sweeney will be gone as will Benning.
If Nigel wanted them to stay I feel they would have already put pen to paper.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:48 pm

oldweststander wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:Sweeney and Rawson showed signs of forming a good partnership. What got me was at the time of jake Wright signing the partnership broke down and Clough said he'd been training with us and was partnered with either Rawson or Sweeney in the training games (or words to that effect) for a month or so before he signed. At the time it seemed to coincide with their form dropping off. They stopped training alongside each other and we started conceding left right and centre.

Maybe they don't want to be here either
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:02 pm

oldweststander wrote:

Unless Nigel has tried and those 2 want to look at their options at the end of the season. Bother were in a play off /automatic promotion chasing side a few years ago. Perhaps have become disallusioned to the direction the club is going. Murray to Evans and then to Flitcroft was us ascending. Then we went Dempster to Coughlan and to Clough. Clough is currently trying to halt the descent before we end up off the cliff and into the pit.

Sweeney joined us from Stoke, I would assume (it's a strong assumption), that we were going places. We've gone places that nobody wanted us to go. Benning came here as a lad was here for the rise and fall of our league 2 campaigns and perhaps wants a change or a new challenge. I wouldn't blame him in all honesty for at least looking at his options.

Contracts run out on 30th June. Clubs can speak to players from 3 months before expiry without it being classed as "tapping up". So from 30th March clubs can approach targets and "turn their heads". Let's be honest if any of the top 10 come sniffing some of our out of contract players may well hear them out as to what they can offer. Don't forget the salary cap has gone so clubs aren't restricted in that sense anymore
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum