{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Retained List 2021

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Retained List

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:48 am

Norman wrote:
Gruff wrote:If I were moderator, and had the time (because I appreciate how much of their own time they give to this board) then I'd just delete the irrelevant posts in certain threads that go off topic...
Does that make me....
a. A fascist
b. A snowflake
c. Woke

(which also means that this post would be deleted from this thread)...

Retained List
Stone
Gordon
Rawson
Perch
Sweeney
Benning
Lapslie
O. Clarke
Charsley
Quinn
Sinclair
Law
Bowery
Reid

That'd be my guess...

Charsley Benning and Reid ? Can I have 2 pints of what your on. They are not very good !

Have you ever posted anything even remotely positive ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:54 am

bellwhiff wrote:
Norman wrote:
Gruff wrote:If I were moderator, and had the time (because I appreciate how much of their own time they give to this board) then I'd just delete the irrelevant posts in certain threads that go off topic...
Does that make me....
a. A fascist
b. A snowflake
c. Woke

Retained List
Stone
Gordon
Rawson
Perch
Sweeney
Benning
Lapslie
O. Clarke
Charsley
Quinn
Sinclair
Law
Bowery
Reid

That'd be my guess...

Charsley Benning and Reid ? Can I have 2 pints of what your on. They are not very good !

This is off topic, please delete
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Paulstag » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:04 am

PEAR CIDER wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Norman wrote:
Does that make me....
a. A fascist
b. A snowflake
c. Woke

Retained List
Stone
Gordon
Rawson
Perch
Sweeney
Benning
Lapslie
O. Clarke
Charsley
Quinn
Sinclair
Law
Bowery
Reid

That'd be my guess...

This is off topic, please delete

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Paulstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:42 am

yorkshire stag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:I think it will be

Stone
Gordon
Perch
Rawson
Clarke
Maris
Lapslie
Charsley
McLaughlin
Bowery
Reid
Law
Sinclair
Knowles

You are missing the quality signing sat pretty on two year deals, they won’t leave

They will. The only players I haven’t mentioned on two year deals are Stech, O’Driscoll, Menayese, O’Keeffe I think.

We already know there have been takers for three of those. Stech may be tricky to shift but he has already shown he wants to play games and not sit on the bench.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:01 am

For Nigel and Dave Sharpe the retained list must grow smaller and smaller with each passing full time whistle. The number of players, we have that despite our best hopes and their endeavours do not set the heart racing, the Adrenalin pumping and would help fill (if we are to be allowed back in) Field Mill are not good enough is staggering.

I accept that we have a small squad, that players have for two and half seasons (including the bad apples that Flitcroft wanted rid of) have not wanted to be here, have been sold a vision that their abilities cannot match, have a blue badge in their car or have been mismanaged. But I cannot accept that week in, week out after responding so well to Nigel’s instructions that they have once again regressed. The passing and movement that we displayed against Cheltenham and Bolton has gone, individual errors are returning and decision making is poor. But what is the answer?

For me, a new goalkeeper, back four and forwards the likes of Stech, Benning, Sweeney, Gordon, Bowery, Sarkic (not an exhaustive list) need to leave. Next season is to be a clean start for the club, the manager and us as spectators. A new hope not weighed down with those that are part of the old empire.

Or when at ten to three I am asked, “are we going to the ground now?”, the reply may be “Who want another, we won’t miss much in the first fifteen minutes”.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:37 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:Clarke
Lapslie
Maris

Nobody else.

As much as i wholeheartedly agree with this list the probem will be how to get rid of everyone else?... Most are still contracted so you cant just 'get rid' (unfortunately) so youve either gotta pay them off or get some other mugs to take them off ya hands!.
I think the GC duds will be around for alot longer than we all think!.
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:48 pm

Law and Sinclair definitely here next season, now contracted until 2022 with a one year option. Law as part of the squad, and Sinclair probably heading out on loan.
Last edited by MTFCMusings on Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:34 pm

Jason Law must be due a testimonial soon...
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Retained list

Postby trenty » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:16 am

Under contract till June 2022 so unless we pay them off they will be here next year
Sinclair
Law
O’Keeffe
Reid
Charsley
Maris
Ollie Clarke
Stech
Rawson
Contracts run out June 2021 so unless offered a new one should be released
Benning
J. Clarke
Stone
Ward
Perch
Quinn
Bowery
Sweeney
McLaughlin
J. Riley
J.Wright
J.Charles
Can only see 2/3 being offered new contracts so plenty room to get rid of players
Possible 9 new players in
Not going to speculate on in or outs but looks like we stuck with one or two players that are not fans favourite choice at minute
trenty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Re: Retained list

Postby ian23 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:37 am

Gordon has just signed new deal too
ian23
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby chip63 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:41 am

lapslie, Gorden? Perch,Cook,Maynard.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:47 am

I’d keep Kevin De Keefe and Cristiano Cook.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:02 am

I wonder if Clough is ruing the decision to tie down Gordon and Charsley on new contracts before the season end.

Less so Gordon as I think he can play a decent enough squad role next year, but since he signed the deal his form has tailed off quite dramatically. Seems to have a big error in him every game, and we aren’t getting the same output from him going forwards. I’m not sure he can be in the mainstay of a successful defence at this level as first and foremost in League 2 you want your full backs to be solid and defend and that’s just not his game. Clough will be tiring of all these mistakes. We’re really lacking options at right wing, might be worth giving him another run there?

Charsley is the head scratcher for me. OK opening half to the season, but now I’d probably say he is a 7th choice option in central midfield behind Lapslie, Clarke, Maris, Quinn, Law & McLaughlin. I don’t see him as a good option as a right forward moving forward either as he lacks pace and end product. The amount of times he finds himself in a good area only to put the cross in to row Z of the the North stand or scuff his shot is really frustrating. There’s never a time when he’s not on the pitch where I think ‘we could really do with Harry Charsley here’.

This is all in hindsight of course, at the time Gordon was performing well and was deserving of his contract.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:01 am

BH_Stag wrote:I wonder if Clough is ruing the decision to tie down Gordon and Charsley on new contracts before the season end.

Less so Gordon as I think he can play a decent enough squad role next year, but since he signed the deal his form has tailed off quite dramatically. Seems to have a big error in him every game, and we aren’t getting the same output from him going forwards. I’m not sure he can be in the mainstay of a successful defence at this level as first and foremost in League 2 you want your full backs to be solid and defend and that’s just not his game. Clough will be tiring of all these mistakes. We’re really lacking options at right wing, might be worth giving him another run there?

Charsley is the head scratcher for me. OK opening half to the season, but now I’d probably say he is a 7th choice option in central midfield behind Lapslie, Clarke, Maris, Quinn, Law & McLaughlin. I don’t see him as a good option as a right forward moving forward either as he lacks pace and end product. The amount of times he finds himself in a good area only to put the cross in to row Z of the the North stand or scuff his shot is really frustrating. There’s never a time when he’s not on the pitch where I think ‘we could really do with Harry Charsley here’.

This is all in hindsight of course, at the time Gordon was performing well and was deserving of his contract.

Sorry BH but I don’t agree with that. Gordon has been making bad mistakes all season long and should be nowhere near the defence. His crossing ability is now worse than Charsley’s and he constantly sells the receiving player short meaning the ball is lost by another player. If you look back at Reid’s mistake yesterday, he was trying to alleviate a position created by Gordon who actually moved out of the way of the back pass to the keeper. The two players were being squeezed by three Orient players and the loss of the ball was inevitable if short passes were continued. As the player facing up the pitch, Gordon should have put his laces through the ball and relieved the pressure.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:12 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:I wonder if Clough is ruing the decision to tie down Gordon and Charsley on new contracts before the season end.

Sorry BH but I don’t agree with that. Gordon has been making bad mistakes all season long and should be nowhere near the defence. His crossing ability is now worse than Charsley’s and he constantly sells the receiving player short meaning the ball is lost by another player. If you look back at Reid’s mistake yesterday, he was trying to alleviate a position created by Gordon who actually moved out of the way of the back pass to the keeper. The two players were being squeezed by three Orient players and the loss of the ball was inevitable if short passes were continued. As the player facing up the pitch, Gordon should have put his laces through the ball and relieved the pressure.

Well I’ve said that Gordon’s form is very poor, his game is littered with mistakes, we’re not getting enough out of him going forward, and I don’t think he should or will be in the starting 11 next season so I don’t think we’re too far apart to say you don’t agree :lol: :lol:

Whilst accepting he’s currently showing his worst form, I think the better version of himself is capable of being a backup right back/right forward next season. I suppose you’re disagreeing with the notion that he was deserving of his contract at the time which is fair enough, each to their own. At the time I thought he was holding his own fairly well and the news was well received by most. Not saying he was a world beater, and his best work has always been going forwards rather than defensively but was certainly showing form much better than he is now.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:28 am

BH_Stag wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:

Well I’ve said that Gordon’s form is very poor, his game is littered with mistakes, we’re not getting enough out of him going forward, and I don’t think he should or will be in the starting 11 next season so I don’t think we’re too far apart to say you don’t agree :lol: :lol:

Whilst accepting he’s currently showing his worst form, I think the better version of himself is capable of being a backup right back/right forward next season. I suppose you’re disagreeing with the notion that he was deserving of his contract at the time which is fair enough, each to their own. At the time I thought he was holding his own fairly well and the news was well received by most. Not saying he was a world beater, and his best work has always been going forwards rather than defensively but was certainly showing form much better than he is now.

Fair enough BH and I freely admit I am not a fan of Gordon and have little faith he can develop further. If you look back through my posts you will see I have been saying that since the start of the season when I was widely derided for my opinion of the player. I will concede he may make a decent winger but until he plays there consistently we just don’t know for sure but I am very dubious that he would be outstanding.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:58 am

This thread needs merging with the existing Retained List thread.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:13 pm

ian23 wrote:Gordon has just signed new deal too

crackin bit of business that was :roll:
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:16 pm

My mind is made about Gordon, he cannot defend to savd his life but he is a good attacking player and better than Charsley. Put him in a wide midfield role and I believe we will see a good player.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby five to three » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:57 am

Since coming back into the team I think Benning has played well enough to be our left back next season. Certainly preferable over McLaughlin there! I'd also keep Bowery as he works hard and could support well the right forwards.
five to three
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:35 am

Would keep:
Stone
Pardington
Perch
Benning
Rawson
Gordon
Maris
Clarke
Lapslie
Quinn
Law
Sinclair
Bowery

Need a new first choice GK, 2 or 3 CB, 2 or 3 attacking wide players, 2 new centre forwards in my view. I'm relatively happy at the midfield but would throw a lot of money at the missing pieces of the jigsaw as only the midfield is capable but just looks worse than it is because of our kamikaze defence and powderpuff strike force.
Last edited by arsene wengers coat on Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:37 am

I'll stick with my original predictions. Jamie Reid could be sent out on loan.

3 Goalkeepers
Keeper 1 ?
Keeper 2 Aidan Stone
New Keeper 2 (Jamie Pardington?)

17 Senior Outfield Players
Kellan Gordon
Farrend Rawson
George Maris
George Lapslie
Ollie Clarke
Stephen Quinn (signed permanently)
Harry Charsley
Jason Law
Jordan Bowery
Jamie Reid (sent out on loan?)

New Signing 1 (Forward x 1) (Lucas Akins?)
New Signing 2 (Forward x 2)
New Signing 3 (Centre Half x 1)
New Signing 4 (Centre Half x 2)
New Signing 5 (Right Back) (John Brayford?)
New Signing 6 (Left Back) (Scott Tanser?)
New Signing 7 (Midfield/Wide Player)

3 Youngsters
Tyrese Sinclair
Jimmy Knowles
?

James Perch and Mal Benning could be retained and Stephen McLaughlin is still my wild card but NC has to release players to make space for his 6/7 quality new players.

Jamie Reid being sent out on loan could create another space
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:55 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I'll stick with my original predictions. Jamie Reid could be sent out on loan.

3 Goalkeepers
Keeper 1 ?
Keeper 2 Aidan Stone

Kellan Gordon
Farrend Rawson
George Maris
George Lapslie
Ollie Clarke
Harry Charsley
Jason Law
Jordan Bowery

3 Youngsters
Tyrese Sinclair
Jimmy Knowles
?

James Perch and Mal Benning could be retained and Stephen McLaughlin is still my wild card but NC has to release players to make space for his 6/7 quality new players.

Why would you keep Reid at his age, he's not a youngster looking to build strength etc?
He's been given another chance at league football and is clearly well out his depth, why would you waste his and our time knowing he's no good??
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby jr senior » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:08 am

Keep Lapslie and maybe Clarke. The rest, not playing for their shirts, :wave: :wave:
jr senior
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:11 am

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I'll stick with my original predictions. Jamie Reid could be sent out on loan.

3 Goalkeepers
Keeper 1 ?
Keeper 2 Aidan Stone

Kellan Gordon
Farrend Rawson
George Maris
George Lapslie
Ollie Clarke
Harry Charsley
Jason Law
Jordan Bowery

3 Youngsters
Tyrese Sinclair
Jimmy Knowles
?

Why would you keep Reid at his age, he's not a youngster looking to build strength etc?
He's been given another chance at league football and is clearly well out his depth, why would you waste his and our time knowing he's no good??

I’m assuming Darren said that as he’s still under contract next season. So unless we rip up his contract and pay him off, we’ll need another club to buy or loan him.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum