{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stagsnet report

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Stagsnet report

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:00 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:46 pm

my detailed report now on
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:11 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:21 pm

my player ratings now on
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby The One » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:52 pm

Strongly disagree re the ref. He was shocking.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:57 pm

The One wrote:Strongly disagree re the ref. He was shocking.

what major thing do you think he got wrong?
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby The One » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:20 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
The One wrote:Strongly disagree re the ref. He was shocking.

what major thing do you think he got wrong?

At kick off waited ages, blew whistle at any given moment, Dean and yourself critised him.
Apart from that top bloke ,
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:16 am

I thought he was inconsistent with his decisions around bookings and favoured the home side. Additionally Clark was booked for a late challenge which on the face of it is fair enough. However when you look closer the reason Clark was late was the fact that the ref got in the way of his run and without that Clark would probably have been first to the ball.

I also thought he allowed himself to be influenced by the Barrow players on a number of occasions particularly Sweeney’s second yellow. No doubt it was a foul but cover was there and the challenge without the aggravation of denying a true chance, was not worth a yellow particularly when it meant a dismissal.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:20 am

A ref doesn't need to get a major decision wrong to be a bad ref surely. He completely ruined the flow of the game, whistled for every little thing. He was by no means at fault for our defeat, but was really poor in my opinion.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:30 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I thought he was inconsistent with his decisions around bookings and favoured the home side. Additionally Clark was booked for a late challenge which on the face of it is fair enough. However when you look closer the reason Clark was late was the fact that the ref got in the way of his run and without that Clark would probably have been first to the ball.

I also thought he allowed himself to be influenced by the Barrow players on a number of occasions particularly Sweeney’s second yellow. No doubt it was a foul but cover was there and the challenge without the aggravation of denying a true chance, was not worth a yellow particularly when it meant a dismissal.

Sweeney pulled Quigley's shirt for the second yellow in addition to fouling him. The presence of cover was not relevant in my opinion unless he was considering a straight red, and that certainly would not have been justified. I think the ref was fully justified in giving the yellow card. The ref was surrounded by too many Barrow players, more than is allowed (two is the maximum I think), but I expect it was the shirt pulled which swayed the decision.

The Clarke incidents were tricky. Twice he went to shoot, twice he booted the Barrow player who nipped in first. Both had to be free kicks. Overall one yellow card for those was probably fair as technically Clarke was late.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:47 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I thought he was inconsistent with his decisions around bookings and favoured the home side. Additionally Clark was booked for a late challenge which on the face of it is fair enough. However when you look closer the reason Clark was late was the fact that the ref got in the way of his run and without that Clark would probably have been first to the ball.

Sweeney pulled Quigley's shirt for the second yellow in addition to fouling him. The presence of cover was not relevant in my opinion unless he was considering a straight red, and that certainly would not have been justified. I think the ref was fully justified in giving the yellow card. The ref was surrounded by too many Barrow players, more than is allowed (two is the maximum I think), but I expect it was the shirt pulled which swayed the decision.

The Clarke incidents were tricky. Twice he went to shoot, twice he booted the Barrow player who nipped in first. Both had to be free kicks. Overall one yellow card for those was probably fair as technically Clarke was late.

I can see those points Martin, however when he booked Clarke he had only committed the first challenge so the second incident is not relevant and the ref caused the first late challenge. There was a similar challenge by a Barrow player which went unpunished.

If pulling a shirt is enough for a booking, there would hardly be a player on the pitch. There were a number of incidents when players were blocked/pulled back which weren’t punished (by both sides) which emphasises inconsistencies.

I don’t think he had a complete shocker but he was below average in his decision making.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:57 am

I thought both Ryan Sweeney fouls were clear yellow cards but not all refs give them. I'd have been disappointed if Barrow defenders were not booked for similar fouls.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:58 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

I can see those points Martin, however when he booked Clarke he had only committed the first challenge so the second incident is not relevant and the ref caused the first late challenge. There was a similar challenge by a Barrow player which went unpunished.

If pulling a shirt is enough for a booking, there would hardly be a player on the pitch. There were a number of incidents when players were blocked/pulled back which weren’t punished (by both sides) which emphasises inconsistencies.

I don’t think he had a complete shocker but he was below average in his decision making.

had the ref shown Clarke a second yellow for the second incident I think that would have been too harsh.

regarding the Sweeney second yellow, it was a foul and a shirt pull. I'm just saying that the shirt pull on top of the foul probably swayed the ref to give the yellow and in my opinion that was reasonable.

I do tend the judge a ref on whether he got major decisions right, as that tends to be what is most important in my opinion.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:59 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I thought both Ryan Sweeney fouls were clear yellow cards but not all refs give them. I'd have been disappointed if Barrow defenders were not booked for similar fouls.

I agree. I don't recall Barrow players getting away with similar fouls
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:19 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

had the ref shown Clarke a second yellow for the second incident I think that would have been too harsh.

regarding the Sweeney second yellow, it was a foul and a shirt pull. I'm just saying that the shirt pull on top of the foul probably swayed the ref to give the yellow and in my opinion that was reasonable.

I do tend the judge a ref on whether he got major decisions right, as that tends to be what is most important in my opinion.

I think we differ on our interpretation then Martin. If the first Clarke foul was a booking, then the second was just as bad (without the ref getting in the way) and should probably have been a second yellow. I wouldn’t complain about the second foul but thought the booking was harsh due to the ref’s own impact on his run. I don’t think he probably realised he had impeded Clarke but when a player is travelling at speed even a minor incident impacts on his final path.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum