{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Nigel Clough; Barrow post match (MATCH HIGHLIGHTS ADDED)

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Nigel Clough; Barrow post match

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:57 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Martian wrote:All well and good Nigel, blaming Gordon, but you sholdn't be playing him as a defender - as others have already said.

I don’t think modern coaches see players as having one set position. They look at their attributes and pick their position based on how well it fits a particular tactic or system.

Well that's always been the case. A while ago it was quick players who couldn't score went on the wing, those that could score went up front. Players good at tackling and headers play centre back. Players good at tackling but crap in the air went to full back. Etc etc etc.

There's alot of transferable skills between positions and roles.

In my opinion Gordon is the best winger at the club, strictly speaking we've got a central midfielder wide right and a right footed striker wide left. Why?

What attributes does Charsley have that make him a good fit for right wing? Which attributes does Gordon have that makes you think he's a good right back? What attributes

Charsley has a good engine, a decent shot on him from range and is a decent dribbler. Attacking midfield.
Gordon has good pace, can dribble, can cross and has a decent raspberries in him. Winger
Bowery. Decent in the air, good first touch, decent dribbling, decent finishing, can hold players off longer than others. Striker.

Some
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:36 am

Charsley role is not to be a winger, neither is Bowery’s. They occupy a wide position on the pitch, but they are not there to beat a full back and whip a cross in. They are there to get on the end of crosses from the opposite flank, provided by an attacking full back. They’re there to play inside and provide room outside for the full back, Clough pretty much said that in his recent iFollow interview. They’re there to exploit gaps between full backs and centre backs. Bowery cuts inside and gets shots off, Charsley is a ball carrier and exploits spaces well. Charsley is missing Lapslie to link with in his half space, Clarke is supposed to be performing that role but can’t.

With Gordon at right back, you only have to look at the recent trends at higher levels, the likes of Jack Stacey, James Justin etc. Who are former wingers who have been taught to defend to a competent level along the way.

We already have a player who started his career as a left winger playing at left back, but nobody seems to mention that about Benning.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:46 am

Gordon may have looked at fault with the second goal ... but the problem is deeper than that. Once again Rawson was out of position marking nobody. Gordon was having to cover the centre because the central defenders weren't there.
Too many times Rawson is pulled to the flanks because the full backs aren't doing their jobs properly - and that then leaves a hole in the middle from which we often concede.
Rawson's inability to mark properly is the root of so many goals that we concede.
This is the worst defence that we have had for many years. The reason why we keep making these 'silly mistakes' and 'gifting goals' is because the whole defence (full backs and central defenders) are not doing their jobs properly.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:09 am

garlic wrote:Thanks SOS, I reckon Cloughie got it spot on.

You're welcome

:coys:
Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby chip63 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:30 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
chip63 wrote:A back 5 could help cover the right back position, I'm not sure Clough would change his system though.
It's frustrating because we know they can play good football, we've seen it.

We don’t need cover for RB, we’ve got four of them!

I meant covering the right back on the pitch, Perch and Gordon in the back 5 could allow us to create a stronger area of defence in that area.
I haven't got a clue really, just totally frustrated with this seasons ups and mostly downs.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:52 am

MTFCMusings wrote:Charsley role is not to be a winger, neither is Bowery’s. They occupy a wide position on the pitch, but they are not there to beat a full back and whip a cross in. They are there to get on the end of crosses from the opposite flank, provided by an attacking full back. They’re there to play inside and provide room outside for the full back, Clough pretty much said that in his recent iFollow interview. They’re there to exploit gaps between full backs and centre backs. Bowery cuts inside and gets shots off, Charsley is a ball carrier and exploits spaces well. Charsley is missing Lapslie to link with in his half space, Clarke is supposed to be performing that role but can’t.

With Gordon at right back, you only have to look at the recent trends at higher levels, the likes of Jack Stacey, James Justin etc. Who are former wingers who have been taught to defend to a competent level along the way.

We already have a player who started his career as a left winger playing at left back, but nobody seems to mention that about Benning.

I'm aware of how the system is supposed to work. But we lost Lapslie and it no longer works. The inside forwards (Bowery and Charsley) aren't exploiting space between the FB and CB, they're in the space between the CB and CM or the full backs and wingers. Because we've essentially swapped our attacking midfielder for a more defensive one we are more defensive.

What evidence is there of mal being a left winger? https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/mal-ben ... rainer_id= there's a link to his first full season. LB with the occasional game on the right wing. It doesn't get mentioned because Benning is an established league 2 left back. One of the best in the league.

It's not a case of never play Gordon at right back. Just when we have better and more experienced right backs available they should play there. We've lost an important part of our attacking strategy and a result is we have to defend more. That's where the frailties of players out of position are exposed. I had a feeling it was coming just not as bad as it did yesterday.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:55 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
chip63 wrote:A back 5 could help cover the right back position, I'm not sure Clough would change his system though.
It's frustrating because we know they can play good football, we've seen it.

We don’t need cover for RB, we’ve got four of them!

Exactly. 5 if you want to count Gordon ;)

I think chip meant back 3 so 1 can cover right back while he's creating up the other end of the pitch. Not necessarily a flat back 5
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Re: Nigel Clough; Barrow post match (MATCH HIGHLIGHTS ADDED)

Postby northern stag » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:00 am

I’m a fan of Nigel, but I’m concerned that we keep on doing the same things with the same players and formation with an expectation that the outcome will be different....it’s plain to see it’s not going to be different , as hard as they work, Bowery and Reid together are not the answer, neither is Charsley alongside them.
I can’t tell him his job but I can’t deny what Ive seen for the last 8 games ( and games prior to Nigel)
Last edited by northern stag on Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
northern stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Conker » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:27 am

I think changing formations we will still end up with the problem that many of our players just are not good enough, we ain’t plugging that.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby West Ham 1969 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:40 pm

Would like to see Sarkik in for Reid....hopefully Tuesday.
West Ham 1969
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:28 pm

Rob Kelly interview

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:37 pm

Patrick Brough interview including different angle of first goal

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum