{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Striker recall (not possible)

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Striker recall (not possible)

Postby Dogface » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:07 pm

Do we have options to recall any of our strikers? I know it wouldn’t be ideal and certainly cook and Maynard would not want to be here but we may have no option
Dogface
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Striker recall

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:07 pm

No.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:10 pm

Dogface wrote:Do we have options to recall any of our strikers? I know it wouldn’t be ideal and certainly cook and Maynard would not want to be here but we may have no option

Cook and Maynard arnt scoring. If they were fair enough. Fact is they are not doing any better than Bowery or Reid. Same can be said for Rose.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:21 pm

Pitty we cannot bring rose and jimmy goals back
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:23 pm

wardy12345 wrote:Pitty we cannot bring rose and jimmy goals back

Why what's Rose doing thats better than what we have?
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:31 pm

The are posters on this forum who are so hell bent on defending Reid, they have lost the objectivity.

He is completely out of his depth playing at this level. No pace, poor movement, can’t win a header, poor passing, persistent fouler and average (at best) finisher.

Yes he works hard, but that’s not enough. The defending was shambolic for the last 20 minutes, but we are so toothless that the opposition don’t need to fear going forward.

I can’t think of a worse striker since we got promoted, and I include Ollie Palmer in that.

We are like a boxer with fighting with two broken arms.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:31 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
wardy12345 wrote:Pitty we cannot bring rose and jimmy goals back

Why what's Rose doing thats better than what we have?

Puts boots on the right feet
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby victor A block » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:34 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:The are posters on this forum who are so hell bent on defending Reid, they have lost the objectivity.

He is completely out of his depth playing at this level. No pace, poor movement, can’t win a header, poor passing, persistent fouler and average (at best) finisher.

Yes he works hard, but that’s not enough. The defending was shambolic for the last 20 minutes, but we are so toothless that the opposition don’t need to fear going forward.

I can’t think of a worse striker since we got promoted, and I include Ollie Palmer in that.

Totally agree . When other players see someone so out of his depth selected every game it doesn’t help .
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:40 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:The are posters on this forum who are so hell bent on defending Reid, they have lost the objectivity.

Yeah but after we raspberried Ollie Palmer off and everyone decided he was dogdo, he went on to carve out a decent career for himself at a number of clubs & has been known to stick it to us when our paths have crossed since.

It's almost like fans (including me) know raspberry all about professional football. :lol:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:44 pm

Reid is certainly someone to have on the books on the bench, but certainly isn’t good enough to start.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:23 pm

Yes, somebody else's bench. He' have a job, holding down a place in a Sunday league team. Only gets a game because the manager has to prove everbody wrong. How Maynard couldn't get a run of games, over him, is beyond me.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby James » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:25 pm

bigalstag1 wrote:Yes, somebody else's bench. He' have a job, holding down a place in a Sunday league team. Only gets a game because the manager has to prove everbody wrong. How Maynard couldn't get a run of games, over him, is beyond me.

He did, and was rubbish for the vast majority of them. Especially this season.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:27 pm

Reid is far too inconsistent, 1 good game in 5 isn’t good enough. We should of replaced Cook and Maynard with an out and out striker.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:32 pm

5 in 31 in all competitions this season for Reid. Couple that poor goal scoring return with the fact that he’s got no pace, doesn’t hold the ball up that well, isn’t an aerial threat, and is probably below par with regards to his link up play. Aside from that...
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:12 pm

Reid is trying to plough a lone furrow against two or three defenders every game so it’s no wonder he doesn’t get very far.

Since Lapslie was injured he has had very little support and in my opinion Clarke is the main culprit. With Bowery and Charsley staying on the wings it makes Reid an easy watch for defenders. He needs more support from the middle if he is to find the space to be effective.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:20 pm

bigalstag1 wrote:Yes, somebody else's bench. He' have a job, holding down a place in a Sunday league team. Only gets a game because the manager has to prove everbody wrong. How Maynard couldn't get a run of games, over him, is beyond me.

It's easy for you to see Maynard through rosey coloured specs now that he's gone. Fact is he was given games and did nothing. So far he's done nothing at Newport. Similar can be said for Cook and Rose (although Rose is playing in a higher league).
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby robbingdog » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:31 pm

Amber Andy wrote:

It's easy for you to see Maynard through rosey coloured specs now that he's gone. Fact is he was given games and did nothing. So far he's done nothing at Newport. Similar can be said for Cook and Rose (although Rose is playing in a higher league).

Who would you rather have up front, Rose or Reid?

I guess the majority of supporters would go for the former
robbingdog
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:35 pm

robbingdog wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Rose. However, I think it was a correct decision to allow Maynard and Cook to go.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby five to three » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:36 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Reid is trying to plough a lone furrow against two or three defenders every game so it’s no wonder he doesn’t get very far.

Since Lapslie was injured he has had very little support and in my opinion Clarke is the main culprit. With Bowery and Charsley staying on the wings it makes Reid an easy watch for defenders. He needs more support from the middle if he is to find the space to be effective.

Agree and we don't seem to be getting the players in the box to support him like we had been doing
five to three
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Vice President » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:44 pm

robbingdog wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Cook has scored 3 goals in 5 appearances for Bradford and Maynard is vastly superior to Reid. I wasn't a massive fan of Rose but he is also infinitely better than Reid. At the start of this season Reid was our 5th choice striker and by January our top 3 strikers were gone and not replaced. And that is the main reason why we are not scoring many goals at the moment. As I mentioned on another thread - how this situation came about is baffling.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Stagdale » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:58 pm

This!!!
Stagdale
Youth Team
Youth Team

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum