{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Nigel Clough; Bradford City post match & match highlights

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Nigel Clough; Bradford City post match & match highlight

Postby victor A block » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:55 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:Where did Clough say he thinks Reid is better than Cook and Maynard? Not being arsey, I just haven't seen that

Listen to Nigel Clough's interview on Monday from 3m 30s onwards. He makes it clear that Jamie Reid is his No 1 choice as striker and indicates that Nicky Maynard's time at the club is probably over although they have not made final decisions yet on him or Andy Cook. The club do have an option on Andy Cook.

Pretty depressing if he thinks Reid is our number 1 striker . He averages about 1 goal in 10 and doesn't look remotely like scoring in the other 9 . Yes he runs up and down a lot but that's not really what it's about is it ?
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:57 pm

victor A block wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:Where did Clough say he thinks Reid is better than Cook and Maynard? Not being arsey, I just haven't seen that

Listen to Nigel Clough's interview on Monday from 3m 30s onwards. He makes it clear that Jamie Reid is his No 1 choice as striker and indicates that Nicky Maynard's time at the club is probably over although they have not made final decisions yet on him or Andy Cook. The club do have an option on Andy Cook.

Pretty depressing if he thinks Reid is our number 1 striker . He averages about 1 goal in 10 and doesn't look remotely like scoring in the other 9 . Yes he runs up and down a lot but that's not really what it's about is it ?

Not like he's gonna Slag the lad off in press conferences is he? He's not Evans :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:30 pm

Jamie Reid is not the problem.
I don’t agree with criticising players on social media but the focus should be on Sweeney and Rawson and I’m sure it is
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:48 pm

Yorkstag LOL ...so you don't agree with criticising players on social media and you then reflect the conversion away from Reid and effectively criticise Sweeney and Rawson instead...or you could put the focus on Bowery for losing his man in the box etc etc
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby bigalstag1 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:49 pm

If you could guarantee that the ball was not coming straight back, everytime it is played into Reid, you might find that some of the pressure on Rawson and Sweeney would be released. Somebody that runs around a lot ,does not constitute a good striker. The fact that we have two players doing this, is part of the problem, and the reason we don't kill games off, due to lack of goals. Clough has given Reid more than enough chance and he hasn't improved one jot.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:51 pm

bigalstag1 wrote:If you could guarantee that the ball was not coming straight back, everytime it is played into Reid, you might find that some of the pressure on Rawson and Sweeney would be released. Somebody that runs around a lot ,does not constitute a good striker. The fact that we have two players doing this, is part of the problem, and the reason we don't kill games off, due to lack of goals. Clough has given Reid more than enough chance and he hasn't improved one jot.

Reid held the ball up well at Bradford and still got pelters saying he wasn’t holding the ball up, and then that he wasn’t in the box to finish moves which he had started by holding the ball up. He can’t win with some.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:10 pm

Has Clough ever had what I would call, out and out strikers?
I'm thinking more in the way of your Cooks, Maynards etc.. Who just stay forward waiting for that goal chance.
I like that type of forward personally, I can see what playing like Reid brings to the team but wouldn't really care how much he ran about as long as he put the ball in the net.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Stagdale » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:37 pm

I think that as a former striker it is amazing Nigel rates Reid. I just hope he is playing him because he has no other striker on the bench as he has got rid of the other two. Next season should tell.

One thing is for certain if he is our main striker next season we can forget about a promotion challenge.

I wonder how Cook and Maynard would have fared if they had been given the same run in the first team as Reid? We will never know.
Stagdale
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby broomo » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:09 am

chip63 wrote:Has Clough ever had what I would call, out and out strikers?
I'm thinking more in the way of your Cooks, Maynards etc.. Who just stay forward waiting for that goal chance.
I like that type of forward personally, I can see what playing like Reid brings to the team but wouldn't really care how much he ran about as long as he put the ball in the net.

I'd say the only time he had an out and out striker who was the focal point for goals was Daryl Clare at Burton, he got 20 goals both seasons and Burton finished 7th and 5th. Clare was absolutely superb AND worked quite hard.

He was effectively replaced by Shaun Harrad and Greg Pearson who probably still got 16-18 goals each and Burton went up .

He has a fairly simple expectation that everyone chips in, the central defenders usually got 5 ish, full backs a couple each and the rest came from midfield.

Our lack of goals from set plays, central defence and full backs is as much an issue as anything else but I kind of agree at least one of our strikers needs to be getting 15 plus and both of them should be into double figures.

Are Reid and Bowery together the answer. I'm not convinced they are but also think Reidy has the potential to go through the kind of purple patch needed.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Phill » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:22 am

I might be oversimplifying this but regardless of how much better Cook and Maynard may or may not be - they do not fit into the system that Clough wants to play. Reid may not be the long term answer, but is the only player we have in that role currently.

I think Maynard could have played in that role - but its very clear to most....he simply didn't look bothered on the pitch and I bet that was even worse on the training pitch.
Phill
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby PaulG » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:26 am

I think people are guilty of overcomplicating the issue. All Nigel Clough has said is that Reid is his central striker for the rest of this season. He's also made it perfectly clear that his remit is to keep us up this season, and kick on from there. Given that he has no options up front, his public statements are going to be as positive as possible. (in defence, its different; he can be critical, because he has options.). He's also said, several times, that changes will be made in summer. He can't be too specific about his intentions, because that might damage the morale of players currently in the team, upon whom he's relying to keep us up. The sticking issue on this forum is that some are still harbouring ambitions of a play-off place. I'm absolutely sure that Nigel Clough, looking at what he inherited, has never thought beyond just getting safely through to the close season. I'm equally sure that he's the right man to take us forward from that point, and I look forward to enjoying the ride.
PaulG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sedgwick » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:11 am

victor A block wrote:

Where does he say anything about him being our number 1? He says they're putting their faith in him for the time being and seeing how he does... which makes sense as he's contracted and a young promising player compared to the other end of the spectrum with Maynard. Decision on cook and Maynard is quite easy, they know what they're about but need time to look at players like Reid.

Again were not going down so it makes sense to use what we have to have a look at them. Reid won't be number 1 next season.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:01 pm

With 9 players contracted to 2022 this is the Mansfield squad and these players can run there contract out or not, this is out of the managers control.
Yes This squad is the starting point of the Clough era, and league status is the remit this season, while building a squad capable of a promotion challenge .
Some players want to move on, some players would not move on less money and are happy to see their contract out,
Perhaps this is the start of a journey and with players being on long contracts patience is key for fans,
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby smulls » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:03 pm

With 9 players contracted to 2022 - who are they please?
smulls
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:26 pm

smulls wrote:With 9 players contracted to 2022 - who are they please?

There’s more than 9. Off the top of my head :

Stech
O’Keeffe
Gordon
Rawson
Menayese
O’Driscoll
Lapslie
Charsley
Clarke
Maris
Reid
Bowery
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:31 pm

Thanks did not take into account the players on loan, and i think Bowery is out of contract after this season, but it shows my point, moving players on long contracts not easy and takes patience
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:00 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
victor A block wrote:

Where does he say anything about him being our number 1? He says they're putting their faith in him for the time being and seeing how he does... which makes sense as he's contracted and a young promising player compared to the other end of the spectrum with Maynard. Decision on cook and Maynard is quite easy, they know what they're about but need time to look at players like Reid.

Again were not going down so it makes sense to use what we have to have a look at them. Reid won't be number 1 next season.

Dean on commentary also keeps saying "young Jamie Reid , learning his trade "
He's 27 in 3 months .
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:19 pm

victor A block wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
victor A block wrote:

Dean on commentary also keeps saying "young Jamie Reid , learning his trade "
He's 27 in 3 months .

Sedgwick a few posts up says "a young promising player". :?
He really isn't young in footballing terms and he doesn't seem to get any better.

Conference player but when he's out on the pitch he gives his all and tries his best but really nowhere near good enough
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum