{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stagsnet report Bradford game

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Stagsnet report Bradford game

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:40 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:13 pm

my detailed report now on
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:16 am

my player ratings are on
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby stag861 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:22 am

I think you must have been a forward in your playing days Martin. They can do no wrong.
Per crassum et tenues
stag861
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:55 am

.....and I gave Farrend Rawson MOM :lol: It was close between him, Stephen Quinn, Ollie Clarke and Kellan Gordon.

I think giving Farrend Rawson the lowest rating of 5 Martin is extremely harsh. He only lost one header against another centre half which was outside the penalty area. It was also a slightly short free kick which meant that Niall Canavan was always likely to reach the ball before Rawson. It was only a gentle looping header by Canavan which Jordan Bowery should have headed away if he had been marking Danny Rowe but Bowery gets caught ball watching instead of marking his man. In my book, Jordan Bowery is the defending player who is mainly to blame for the goal. The Stags have recently been guilty of leaving Paul Mullin (twice) (Ryan Sweeney) and Danny Rowe (Jordan Bowery) unmarked in the penalty area which is suicide defending.

I think it was the only header that Farrend Rawson lost all night and he was our top defender for winning aerial duels (5). I was also impressed on Tuesday night that Rawson was bringing the ball out of defence and advancing over the halfway line into Bradford's half. He made the most accurate passes in the team (37).

If Nigel Clough was thinking about dropping a centre half for Jake Wright then I would have thought that Ryan Sweeney is the favourite to be dropped as Jake Wright is a left sided defender. Ryan Sweeney has been partly responsible for four of the last five goals we have conceded and he has looked short of confidence. He made an error against Bradford and allowed Danny Rowe a free shot on goal which Stone had to save. He also allowed Danny Rowe to win the ball from a long kick down the field which resulted in a shot from outside the area by Danny Rowe and he lost a duel against Clayton Donaldson from another long goal kick which resulted in Callum Cooke's shot having to be tipped around the post by Aidan Stone. He also made an error against Morecambe.

I were Farrend Rawson then I'd feel a bit hard done by if I were dropped instead of Ryan Sweeney.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:11 am

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw you gave Rawson man of the match Tippy. His defensive error, along with that of Bowery, cost us a draw. Both were at fault.

I agree that Sweeney has been poor in recent games (apart from Morecambe game) and has made more mistakes leading to goals than Rawson. From what Clough said after the game, he has lost patience with both his central defenders. I expect Wright to start at Barrow. I think that would have been alongside Perch, but he may need Perch to cover a midfield position.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sneag » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:23 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:.....and I gave Farrend Rawson MOM :lol: It was close between him, Stephen Quinn, Ollie Clarke and Kellan Gordon.

I think giving Farrend Rawson the lowest rating of 5 Martin is extremely harsh. He only lost one header against another centre half which was outside the penalty area. It was also a slightly short free kick which meant that Niall Canavan was always likely to reach the ball before Rawson. It was only a gentle looping header by Canavan which Jordan Bowery should have headed away if he had been marking Danny Rowe but Bowery gets caught ball watching instead of marking his man. In my book, Jordan Bowery is the defending player who is mainly to blame for the goal. The Stags have recently been guilty of leaving Paul Mullin (twice) (Ryan Sweeney) and Danny Rowe (Jordan Bowery) unmarked in the penalty area which is suicide defending.

I think it was the only header that Farrend Rawson lost all night and he was our top defender for winning aerial duels (5). I was also impressed on Tuesday night that Rawson was bringing the ball out of defence and advancing over the halfway line into Bradford's half. He made the most accurate passes in the team (37).

If Nigel Clough was thinking about dropping a centre half for Jake Wright then I would have thought that Ryan Sweeney is the favourite to be dropped as Jake Wright is a left sided defender. Ryan Sweeney has been partly responsible for four of the last five goals we have conceded and he has looked short of confidence. He made an error against Bradford and allowed Danny Rowe a free shot on goal which Stone had to save. He also allowed Danny Rowe to win the ball from a long kick down the field which resulted in a shot from outside the area by Danny Rowe and he lost a duel against Clayton Donaldson from another long goal kick which resulted in Callum Cooke's shot having to be tipped around the post by Aidan Stone. He also made an error against Morecambe.

I were Farrend Rawson then I'd feel a bit hard done by if I were dropped instead of Ryan Sweeney.

I agree with this assessment.

Rawson was beaten to one header all game & even then it still shouldn't have lead to a goal. Players seldom win 100% of their personal duels in a game.

Sweeney's error was far worse, it was totally unforced and if Rowe had been cooler with his finish it would have ended the contest there & then.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:29 pm

Cambridge, Harrogate, Bradford, surly its 3 strikes for Rawson and Sweeney, who with the goalkeeper they control our defence, lessons are not being learned.
Opposing players are allowed to stroll into our penalty area.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:40 pm

If there hadn't been so many errors at the back leading to goals I'd probably have given it less attention. Unfortunately it has become a theme and I suspect it is time for a change
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Bradders » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:14 am

Sneag wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:.....and I gave Farrend Rawson MOM :lol: It was close between him, Stephen Quinn, Ollie Clarke and Kellan Gordon.

I agree with this assessment.

Rawson was beaten to one header all game & even then it still shouldn't have lead to a goal. Players seldom win 100% of their personal duels in a game.

Sweeney's error was far worse, it was totally unforced and if Rowe had been cooler with his finish it would have ended the contest there & then.

I have to agree as well. It seemed to me that the defence is generally disorganised if they allocate a striker to mark the main opposition goalscorer, so no surprise if he makes a mess of it. Rawson isn't perfect but there was only one goal conceded and it wasn't down to him entirely.

I was more disappointed that the forward line could do nothing to save a point, wasn't incisive or adventurous and was plodding and predictable. Nigel's principle is to tolerate the odd defensive lapse in the interests of allowing a free scoring system, but we're anything but that. Reid still looks a bit weak and unable to make anything of half chances, and acts as a forward midfielder. Charsley works hard but lacks basic skills, and Bowery is good but has to stay wide. None of them has a shot to fear.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:30 pm

Different angle of Bradford's goal. If Jordan Bowery sticks with Danny Rowe then he heads it away or blocks any shot.

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum