{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Harrogate scorethread by first time visit

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Harrogate scorethread by first time visit

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:04 am

cassellswasmagic wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:I've got a poorly 2 year old so I missed the odd part of the game (10 minutes here and there) hence me barely commenting on the game.

What I did manage to see was the goal. Long punt down the middle, I don't know if it got caught in the wind or not but Sweeney did seem to come forwards and then back peddle to get to it and got a head to it and headed it up. Then Rawson decided to head it straight up as well. I'd say the blame more lies with Rawson for the goal.

I felt the subs came of an injected some energy into the midfield and at left back but the other 6 outfield players were still jaded. We need to seriously consider giving players a couple of games rest and rotate the squad and finish the season strongly. Rather than just going through the motions every game for the rest of the season because we just can't match the other teams for energy and fitness past 50 minutes or so.

Hope your child is ok Gaz.

Thanks, he's just got a tummy ache and it's hurting him so much he's not getting much sleep. Because I'm at work all week he only wants me when I get home. In a way I'm glad it was a terrible performance because I missed probably half an hour of it.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:08 am

As a club, irrelevant of players or management we have struggled with confidence for the past 3 seasons for some reason.

As we know, this squad of players can more than hold its own in this league, yet what would normally be seen as a minor set back to most, puts us back months, the question is why?

Nigel needs to install that belief back in the players, and as hard as it is, if players are struggling with fitness, they need to be given a rest.

Yes the squad isn't deep, but I would sooner we have a fully fit squad for 5 more games this season, where we can get those magical 15 points rather than continue to turn out performances like last night
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:49 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Very scrappy horrible game settled by one bad bit of defending from Ryan Sweeney and Farrend Rawson. Ryan Sweeney has now been partly at fault for the last four goals we have conceded. He looked unsure of himself in the first half when he made an error misjudging the flight of the ball. I thought he played a bit better in the 2nd half after he had made the mistake.

Terrible toothless second half performance by the Stags. I knew when Harrogate scored that that would be enough to win the game. They are very good at hanging on to 1-0 leads. Jamie Reid and Jordan Bowery might as well not have been on the pitch.

Aiden Stone's kicking was awful. We lost possession virtually every time he kicked the ball. I thought George Maris and Ollie Clarke were our best players in the first half but they struggled to get in the game in the 2nd half and gave the ball away far too much. Harry Charsley also disappeared in the 2nd half so no surprise he was subbed. Jason Law also struggled to get in the game. He did take a decent corner from which Farrend Rawson should have scored.

Stephen McLaughlin had a reasonable first half. I'm struggling to pick a Man of the Match. I'd go for George Maris for the first half and Mal Benning for the second half but perhaps James Perch just deserves it overall. He was fairly busy all evening and made some good tackles.

I bet that was easily our lowest attacking xG of the season and probably one of our best defensive ones.

We should have 7 points from the last four games but have come away with one. Nigel's rebuilding job may be a lot bigger than anticipated four games ago. We certainly need another centre half to be a leader at the back and to make sure we do not give silly goals away.

0.6 v 0.8

Incredibly not our worst of the season. To be honest I did forget a few of the early chances. We went 36 minutes between shots (Rawson header on 32 - Gordon shot on 68) and then another 23 minutes between Gordon’s shot and Sinclair’s shot in the 91st minute. So that’s one shot in 59 minutes.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:19 am

The stats that I saw said that we had 3 shots on target to Harrogate’s 2.

That shows the low standard of the game in general but at least they can be happy with 3 points.

Put it behind us and move on.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:27 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Mansf1eld wrote:A big well done for not taking the knee before kick off lads.

It looked like they didn't know Harrogate were going to do it.

It's a shambles and should be ditched. At our game on Saturday as we were about to kick off Clarke asked the ref if we were meant to be doing it or not and the ref didn't know!
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:32 pm

Hope your lad is o-k gazza, Harrogate play a pragmatic style put a big lad up front and kick the ball to him hence Martin and Beck, and put 9 men behind the ball, in poor conditions it works a treat, Clough knew how to beat them, stay tight and nick a goal, Goalkeepers made a difference theirs commanded his area, ours was hesitant and unsure, one call to Sweeney and a harmless ball could have been dealt with, Their was no doubt between Rawson and Sweeney it was one massive gooseberry up.
Coming away from that game 0-1 would have been a good win in difficult circumstances, and this forum would be pleased.
Quinn was only a Squad player with the experience needed for the younger players, and Sarkic always a talent not fulfilled again a squad player, The intensity on the pitch with a poor playing surface shown us were the quality was in this team, Definitely not in the front 3 Clarke from midfield, And its on record our Defence and Goalkeeper are always prone to a goal or two.
How out of this shambles do we avoid relegation, This is the task of the Manager, and if we do his cutting cost in the transfer window will allow a budget for a couple of quality players to win games like yesterday. Real quality does not come cheap.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:37 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:I've got a poorly 2 year old so I missed the odd part of the game (10 minutes here and there) hence me barely commenting on the game.

What I did manage to see was the goal. Long punt down the middle, I don't know if it got caught in the wind or not but Sweeney did seem to come forwards and then back peddle to get to it and got a head to it and headed it up. Then Rawson decided to head it straight up as well. I'd say the blame more lies with Rawson for the goal.

I felt the subs came of an injected some energy into the midfield and at left back but the other 6 outfield players were still jaded. We need to seriously consider giving players a couple of games rest and rotate the squad and finish the season strongly. Rather than just going through the motions every game for the rest of the season because we just can't match the other teams for energy and fitness past 50 minutes or so.

Hope your child is ok Gaz.

Thanks, he's just got a tummy ache and it's hurting him so much he's not getting much sleep. Because I'm at work all week he only wants me when I get home. In a way I'm glad it was a terrible performance because I missed probably half an hour of it.

Bless him. Well hopefully he gets better. More important than that shower on the pitch right now.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:11 pm

I thought Harrogate played the conditions better than us.

First half with the wind behind us, we should have scored, we had the chances.

Second half, they got lucky with the goal, their instructions were to just lump it forward.

The pitch was very bobbly and not conducive to a passing game especially with the wind.

I think the conditions had real effect on Stone's kicking.

Second half you could see we were never going to score, we just seemed to be bullied off the ball in midfield.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:35 pm

frt1987 wrote:Wins for Barrow and Grimsby mean we are in a serious relegation scrap. The squad looks knackered and threadbare. Losing Maynard, Cook, Smith, Menayese and effectively Lapslie and replacing them with an unfit Quinn and Sarkic is proving to be very costly.

Can’t see where the next win is coming from.

:lol: Got to love the overreactions on here. We are 11 points off a play off place and 10 points off a relegation place (11 when you look at goal difference).
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Curry 9 Brace 7 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:01 pm

Exactly Dan, that's just where we are, neither here or there, mid table at best I reckon. :mtfc:
Curry 9 Brace 7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:45 pm

Dan wrote:
frt1987 wrote:Wins for Barrow and Grimsby mean we are in a serious relegation scrap. The squad looks knackered and threadbare. Losing Maynard, Cook, Smith, Menayese and effectively Lapslie and replacing them with an unfit Quinn and Sarkic is proving to be very costly.

:lol: Got to love the overreactions on here. We are 11 points off a play off place and 10 points off a relegation place (11 when you look at goal difference).

They should ban us posting about matches until the day after :lol: So reactionary and daft.

If we beat Morecambe on Saturday and everyone will get the play off push trumpets back out
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:25 pm

You mean fourth placed Morecambe, who have 14points more than us despite spending a fraction of what we do. I'd be happy with a 2-0 loss at the moment.At least it would be a step in the right direction.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:31 pm

Dan wrote:

If we win two games in a row again I’m looking at hotels for Wembley, two losses and I’m Googling where Kings Lynn is :lol:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:18 pm

Dan wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

It's a shambles and should be ditched. At our game on Saturday as we were about to kick off Clarke asked the ref if we were meant to be doing it or not and the ref didn't know!

That is down to bad organisation and not a reason to ditch it.

If the players want to do, it should be allowed
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:33 pm

stag324 wrote:
Dan wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

How many of them actually want to do it though? There’s even black players refusing to do it now because they know it’s just a token gesture and nothing is actually being done about the real problem.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:11 pm

A clap for nurses would be a good gesture.
10 seconds would say a great deal.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:36 pm

chip63 wrote:A clap for nurses would be a good gesture.
10 seconds would say a great deal.

A token gesture. Bet they'd appreciate not being underfunded, people not being dickheads about covid and given a pay rise after the year they've just had. Anyway this thread is going well off topic.

We move on to Morecambe!!
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:05 pm

I'm not sure if its been mentioned but I've read that we were Harrogate's 1st league double ever.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:13 pm

Quelle surprise
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:24 pm

gazza1988 wrote:I'm not sure if its been mentioned but I've read that we were Harrogate's 1st league double ever.

Seeing as it’s their first season and there aren’t many teams they have played twice, that’s hardly surprising. I’m sure we won’t be the last.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:30 pm

Dan wrote:
stag324 wrote:
Dan wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

How many of them actually want to do it though? There’s even black players refusing to do it now because they know it’s just a token gesture and nothing is actually being done about the real problem.

The point being, if the players want to do it they should be allowed to.

You may see it as a token gesture, but not everyone does.

If nothing else, it keeps it in the public eye, and creates conversations about the topic, which is not a bad thing.
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:40 pm

Dan wrote:
stag324 wrote:
Dan wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

The point being, if the players want to do it they should be allowed to.

You may see it as a token gesture, but not everyone does.

If nothing else, it keeps it in the public eye, and creates conversations about the topic, which is not a bad thing.[/quote]

I think the majority don't want to see it... its ridiculous and pandering to something not relevant in this country.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:38 am

Either the entire team agrees to do it or not, doesn’t matter about the opposition.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:06 pm

Point made - Players should be allowed to do it if they want too...

On the same token, if people don't want do it, they shouldn't be made too because a whole team or opposition are. By the same token again, fans should be allowed to boo it.

not saying its right to boo obviously, but something as diverse as this, causes more division.

Bring back the kick it out the campaign, actively target the racists on the web and in the ground and make examples of them.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum