{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Give me a positive from that

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Give me a positive from that

Postby victor A block » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:14 pm

The absolute first signing this summer is a goalkeeper. Confidence starts from there . The last decent one we had was Marriott. Stone unfortunately hasn't taken the chance Stech presented to him .
When the defence go missing the goalkeeper has to step up .
His ratio of shots saved to shots on target is pretty poor . Were any of the 3 today howlers ? No .
But a top level league 2 keeper saves 1 or 2 or all 3 of those .
Sweeney and Rawson need some competition . McLaughlin can't defend .
I don't think midfield is too far off with Clarke , Lapslie and a fit Quinn .
Strikers needed . Reid seems a nailed on starter and outside of 2 or 3 decent games hasn't done anything to justify it .
I think another poster has said that him and Bowery have only 11 goals between them at this stage of the season . Never going to be enough .
Law and Sinclair did well and need more game time when safety is assured .
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:27 pm

As said elsewhere, it could be argued that nigel could take more from these 2 games than if we’d drawn them both for instance.

He’ll already know what he needs to bring in, who isn’t going to be kept and who has until the end of the season to change his mind, given today’s showing i can’t see much.

we were all hoping that stone would make the step up and it’s not happening at present, which is a shame, comments about the rest of the team have already been made so not need going over them again.

Despite the desperate lack of quality upfront, we did the right thing in getting rid of maynard and cook IMO as there’s probably £3-5k a week in savings there
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:37 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Random Hero wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Random Hero wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:You can really feel the love tonight.

There’s a positive, uniting posters in a common goal.

There is no ‘goal’ whatsoever from me I can assure you.
You just irk me with your arrogance.

You’ve never met me. You read words from a messageboard that you can interpret anyway you like.

Are you suggesting that arrogance can’t be accurately portrayed through written word?

I’m suggesting the written word can be interpreted however the reader wishes.

Anyway, rather than carry this on on here, happy to chat with you, or anyone else, privately about my pious arrogance.

Can't you continue on here, it's far more entertaining than the footy?
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:38 pm

He wont have time now as he'll be sifting through his bulging inbox.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:40 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:Grimsby, Southend and Barrow didn't pick up any points today !

18 games to find 5 wins.

You absolutely love it when we don’t win. You can’t wait to post about relegation at every given opportunity. Get a grip.

Overreaction of the week... where's he said anything about relegation? if anything its pointing out the situation were in isn't that bad

Read his post Sedgy, and his last 4 before that...

And his posts around Christmas, and his post from last season. Do you want me to go on?

People may have their own reasons for thinking you arrogant. But for me, this was it in a nutshell. You made an assertion about my opinions, completely ignoring my last post where I was crystal clear about my opinion, but it wasn't included to fit with your public demonstration of how right you always are.

Then you plucked out some arbitrary times when our opinion wasn't shared, even though the manager who had us in the relegation mix earlier in the season was removed. You also made no attempt to prove your other assertion correct, that I absolutely love it when we don't win.

You also finished with 'do you want me to go on?' which I presume is a rhetorical question, used to underline how firmly right you are and always have been on the matter of relegation.

For the record - I dont think the bottom 3 will catch us, we have 18 games to collect the 15 points that I think will be enough to see us safe. This season hasn't been enjoyable,just a continuation of the last one sadly. Of course I want success as much as anyone else.

Please can that be enough on the matter.

Thanks.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:49 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
Torrystag wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:wish the pub was open, need a pint with Spiro & Old Stag to tell me it will be ok

Just think when you can interact ,with actual people ,the limits are endless but it wont be the same without beer ,in fact beer is the answer ,and i know ive been researching for ages

Beers pre match love it, beer post match always takes me longer to sup as a Stags fan

oh well off for another cold one Spanish

Ive got a fridge full yorkshire always
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:53 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:He wont have time now as he'll be sifting through his bulging inbox.

I knew you wouldn’t let me down.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:56 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:He wont have time now as he'll be sifting through his bulging inbox.

Ive got a bulging inbox ,trying senna
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Curry 9 Brace 7 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:58 pm

Cold beer on a cold day Sat on a cold blue plastic seat, can't think of anything worse. Gimme a whisky any time ;)
Curry 9 Brace 7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Captain Cunno » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:01 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

In what way ?
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:07 pm

Did we beat Cambridge on xG's
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Random Hero » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:15 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

I rest my case.
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:22 pm

Random Hero wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

I rest my case.

Sorry what case has this proven?

After a string of post from people who usually respond negatively to my posts, I was expecting Cunno, who usually responds negatively to my posts, to join. And he did, hence my comment.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby robbingdog » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:23 pm

Back to the original question

SPIREITES BEAT THE PIES :lol:
robbingdog
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Random Hero » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:24 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Random Hero wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

I rest my case.

After a string of post from people who usually respond negatively to my posts, I was expecting Cunno, who usually responds negatively to my posts, to join. And he did, hence my comment.

An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:28 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Random Hero wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

I rest my case.

I genuinely can't remember how I reply to any poster (other than telling spirit hater how much of a jebend he is) ...
When have i been negative?
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:32 pm

Random Hero wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Random Hero wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

I rest my case.

Spot on :lol:
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:55 pm

robbingdog wrote:Back to the original question

SPIREITES BEAT THE PIES :lol:

Best post of the day
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby garlic » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:06 pm

Well here if you want it is a different perspective. Today`s performance was a reaction to Tuesdays defeat. As soon as Cambridge scored we were deflated, mentally tired and frustrated, which given the nature of that defeat is perfectly understandable. The fact that both Law and Sinclair injected energy, accuracy and desire showed not only their competency but also their lack of mental tiredness. Hopefully both will start at Harrogate and people will stop complaining of a weak bench. This setback will show Nc how mentally strong his players are and how resilient, and both are positives for the future. We were all thinking of the play offs - and I havent discounted them yet - but for this to be possible the players now need to show a resilience that they lacked after conceding the first goal this afternoon.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby Leelad » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:07 pm

The positive I take from every game is that now we have a proper manager in charge who will (in my opinion) take us places. I honestly thought a couple of months ago we seriously could go down.
From now to the end of the season I think he will blood quite a few younger players to have a look.
Leelad
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby five to three » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:25 pm

We found out today that ability plus effort we don't have enough of to be even thinking of play offs. Time then to prepare and build for next season.Law and Sinclair demonstrated that they should be part of that preparation. McLaughlin not good enough. Charsley not strong enough. Bowery and Reid not suffient together: effort yes, end product no. Also need full backs who can defend and wide players who can either cross or pass a ball.
five to three
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:44 pm

For me, the positives were few and far between
1) we held our own in the first half
2) with more quality up front we could have been in front
3) we are safe enough to bring on young players who didn't look out of their depth
4) we have learnt more in the last four games than in the five victories preceding them
5) Today has shown the manager and CEO's approach to the January transfers is forcing some of our fans to acknowledge that we are not going to be automatically promoted and rhat nothing other than survival has been on the cards or in the plans since Coughlan was sacked
6) Several first team regulars have identified themselves as unworthy of staying next year
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby wayno cordiniho » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:46 pm

five to three wrote:We found out today that ability plus effort we don't have enough of to be even thinking of play offs. Time then to prepare and build for next season.Law and Sinclair demonstrated that they should be part of that preparation. McLaughlin not good enough. Charsley not strong enough. Bowery and Reid not suffient together: effort yes, end product no. Also need full backs who can defend and wide players who can either cross or pass a ball.

Spot on. Good honest boys will get you so far, need a few rough gems and proven quality. All about developing and adding to the squad
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:13 pm

victor A block wrote:The absolute first signing this summer is a goalkeeper. Confidence starts from there . The last decent one we had was Marriott. Stone unfortunately hasn't taken the chance Stech presented to him .
When the defence go missing the goalkeeper has to step up .
His ratio of shots saved to shots on target is pretty poor . Were any of the 3 today howlers ? No .
But a top level league 2 keeper saves 1 or 2 or all 3 of those .
Sweeney and Rawson need some competition . McLaughlin can't defend .
I don't think midfield is too far off with Clarke , Lapslie and a fit Quinn .
Strikers needed . Reid seems a nailed on starter and outside of 2 or 3 decent games hasn't done anything to justify it .
I think another poster has said that him and Bowery have only 11 goals between them at this stage of the season . Never going to be enough .
Law and Sinclair did well and need more game time when safety is assured .

Dont disagree with any of that. Stone has let too many soft shots that are pretty much straight at him.

1st, scuff shot and his positioning is quite good, gets across then the dive is theatrically slow.. pressman-esc
2nd, Perch right in front of him but second game he's been beaten from the same tight angle, didn't get anywhere near it
3rd, Right through him, stick a leg out if you can't get down to it quick enough.

Certainly wouldn't bin him yet, Ramsdale got relegated to the conference and is now playing premier league football. Stone should be number 2 next season.

Midfield of Maris, Clarke and Lapslie is a good foundation, Sweeney, Rawson at the back and Bowrey are also a good league two spine that could fit into a successful side.

Law, Sinclair, Knowles all promising and I think will get games under Nigel.

Mclaughlin, Reid, Perch (unless a backup CB), Meneyese, O'Driscol, Stech, Cook, Maynard all nailed on for the release list for me.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby smulls » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:50 pm

Lacklustre Sweeney nailed as well as he was not convinced me.
smulls
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum