{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

This weekends games (Feb 20th/21st)

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

This weekends games (Feb 20th/21st)

Postby part time pete » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:03 pm

Exeter City
13:00
Grimsby Town

Barrow
15:00
Morecambe

Cheltenham Town
15:00
Bradford City

Crawley Town
15:00
Colchester United

Leyton Orient
15:00
Port Vale

Mansfield Town
15:00
Cambridge United

Salford City
15:00
Carlisle United

Scunthorpe United
15:00
Harrogate Town

Southend United
15:00
Bolton Wanderers

Stevenage
15:00
Walsall

Tranmere Rovers
15:00
Oldham Athletic

Plus
Newport County
13:00
Forest Green Rovers
On Sunday
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager
 
Posts: 6980
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:39 pm

Re: This weekends games (Feb 20th/21st)

Postby part time pete » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:05 pm

I see bottom three teams in division didn't pick up any points.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager
 
Posts: 6980
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:39 pm

Re: This weekends games (Feb 20th/21st)

Postby Sneag » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:23 pm

part time pete wrote:I see bottom three teams in division didn't pick up any points.


Unless something drastic happens I can't see Grimsby or Barrow getting to 40 points.
Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon.
User avatar
Sneag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 9915
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:41 pm
Location: King Solomon he never lived `round here

Re: This weekends games (Feb 20th/21st)

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:51 pm

Sneag wrote:
part time pete wrote:I see bottom three teams in division didn't pick up any points.


Unless something drastic happens I can't see Grimsby or Barrow getting to 40 points.


Can see barrow being the first promoted side to go straight back down
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4239
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:01 pm
Location: Bristol

Re: This weekends games (Feb 20th/21st)

Postby Sneag » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:44 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
Sneag wrote:
part time pete wrote:I see bottom three teams in division didn't pick up any points.


Unless something drastic happens I can't see Grimsby or Barrow getting to 40 points.


Can see barrow being the first promoted side to go straight back down


Which would be a shame, but rather them than us.
Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon.
User avatar
Sneag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 9915
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:41 pm
Location: King Solomon he never lived `round here

Re: This weekends games (Feb 20th/21st)

Postby The One » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:28 pm

Newport 0 FGR 2
The One
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 12450
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:07 pm

Re: This weekends games (Feb 20th/21st)

Postby Spiritater » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:46 am

Oh look another blank for Maynard.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 22211
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Somewhere fluffy.

Re: This weekends games (Feb 20th/21st)

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:23 am

Spiritater wrote:Oh look another blank for Maynard.


And he's still scored same as Rubber Reid despite a lot fewer games :roll:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6969
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: This weekends games (Feb 20th/21st)

Postby Sneag » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:40 pm

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
Spiritater wrote:Oh look another blank for Maynard.


And he's still scored same as Rubber Reid despite a lot fewer games :roll:


One day, Reid will be spoken of in the same vein as Issyden Christie. His first loan spell with us was very m'eh, I don't think he managed a single goal.
Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon.
User avatar
Sneag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 9915
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:41 pm
Location: King Solomon he never lived `round here

Re: This weekends games (Feb 20th/21st)

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:24 pm

Sneag wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:
Spiritater wrote:Oh look another blank for Maynard.


And he's still scored same as Rubber Reid despite a lot fewer games :roll:


One day, Reid will be spoken of in the same vein as Issyden Christie. His first loan spell with us was very m'eh, I don't think he managed a single goal.


I'm not sure I'd be as brave in a shout such as that, but I think there is definitely something in it. Reid will be a key figure for us for the next few seasons - there is obvious talent there, just raw and inconsistent but for Clough to keep giving him game after game, I'm happy to trust his judgement. For once we're giving a player a real chance to develop rather than just constantly recycle after a few poor games in a (probably) nothing season. Once Reid gets the measure of L2 this season, I think we'll see a real asset next season.
User avatar
Birminghamstag10
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 928
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:29 pm

Re: This weekends games (Feb 20th/21st)

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:37 pm

I don't know enough about Torquay but was Reid a lone striker there?

Personally I thought Reid did OK on Saturday. He battled for the ball and more often than not was dispossessed due to lack of support and the fact they could afford to put 3 men on him. In previous games he'd have support in Lapslie, Bowery and Charsley. I suppose to some extent Gordon too.

I think if we can get Gordon to replace Charsley and Sarkic in for Quinn then we will have a bit more bite.

Quinn started slowly but had a good game vs Bolton and did OK against Colchester so he's adapting. A Lapslie type player I don't feel he is. He'd be more suited to Maris' role. Backs against the wall and down to the barebones then fine but once better players are available for that role they should come into that role.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
User avatar
gazza1988
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 7702
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:23 pm
Location: Beeston, Nottingham

Re: This weekends games (Feb 20th/21st)

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:42 pm

Birminghamstag10 wrote:
Sneag wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:
Spiritater wrote:Oh look another blank for Maynard.


And he's still scored same as Rubber Reid despite a lot fewer games :roll:


One day, Reid will be spoken of in the same vein as Issyden Christie. His first loan spell with us was very m'eh, I don't think he managed a single goal.


I'm not sure I'd be as brave in a shout such as that, but I think there is definitely something in it. Reid will be a key figure for us for the next few seasons - there is obvious talent there, just raw and inconsistent but for Clough to keep giving him game after game, I'm happy to trust his judgement. For once we're giving a player a real chance to develop rather than just constantly recycle after a few poor games in a (probably) nothing season. Once Reid gets the measure of L2 this season, I think we'll see a real asset next season.


He'll be a "key figure" if we join a reserve league or put a B team in the Conference
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6969
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: This weekends games (Feb 20th/21st)

Postby Spiritater » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:48 pm

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
Spiritater wrote:Oh look another blank for Maynard.


And he's still scored same as Rubber Reid despite a lot fewer games :roll:

If he'd come and signed for us because he WANTED to be here at the start of the season, instead of waiting and seeing his chances of fleecing another club out of a hefty wodge go down t'drain and eventually using us as a fall back I'd have been more lenient. Maynard was probably on 3x Reid's wages.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 22211
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Somewhere fluffy.

Re: This weekends games (Feb 20th/21st)

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:35 pm

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
Birminghamstag10 wrote:
Sneag wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:
Spiritater wrote:Oh look another blank for Maynard.


And he's still scored same as Rubber Reid despite a lot fewer games :roll:


One day, Reid will be spoken of in the same vein as Issyden Christie. His first loan spell with us was very m'eh, I don't think he managed a single goal.


I'm not sure I'd be as brave in a shout such as that, but I think there is definitely something in it. Reid will be a key figure for us for the next few seasons - there is obvious talent there, just raw and inconsistent but for Clough to keep giving him game after game, I'm happy to trust his judgement. For once we're giving a player a real chance to develop rather than just constantly recycle after a few poor games in a (probably) nothing season. Once Reid gets the measure of L2 this season, I think we'll see a real asset next season.


He'll be a "key figure" if we join a reserve league or put a B team in the Conference


Nah, there's a League player in there - he'd have not started nearly every game that Clough has been in charge if those who know far more than either of us, didn't agree. His hold up play has improved no end and I wonder if opposition teams are learning that. Every time the ball was played to him on Saturday, Cambridge had 2 or 3 on him immediately and did well to limit his impact - something other managers are noticing about him. Lapslie and Gordon were always nearby previously, and I think Reid has missed their support. I am so glad he is being given his chance and I think he'll be a mainstay for the rest of this season, and come back next season all the better for it and we'll see something closer to his Torquay form.
User avatar
Birminghamstag10
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 928
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:29 pm

Re: This weekends games (Feb 20th/21st)

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:18 pm

Birminghamstag10 wrote:
Nah, there's a League player in there - he'd have not started nearly every game that Clough has been in charge if those who know far more than either of us, didn't agree. His hold up play has improved no end and I wonder if opposition teams are learning that. Every time the ball was played to him on Saturday, Cambridge had 2 or 3 on him immediately and did well to limit his impact - something other managers are noticing about him. Lapslie and Gordon were always nearby previously, and I think Reid has missed their support. I am so glad he is being given his chance and I think he'll be a mainstay for the rest of this season, and come back next season all the better for it and we'll see something closer to his Torquay form.


He's 26 and never done owt in the league, you can see why. His all round game is (still) dreadful.
If you think he'll be the mainstay up front next season then good for you, I beg to differ but that's a long way off yet so we've a long wait :lol:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6969
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: This weekends games (Feb 20th/21st)

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:31 pm

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
Birminghamstag10 wrote:
Nah, there's a League player in there - he'd have not started nearly every game that Clough has been in charge if those who know far more than either of us, didn't agree. His hold up play has improved no end and I wonder if opposition teams are learning that. Every time the ball was played to him on Saturday, Cambridge had 2 or 3 on him immediately and did well to limit his impact - something other managers are noticing about him. Lapslie and Gordon were always nearby previously, and I think Reid has missed their support. I am so glad he is being given his chance and I think he'll be a mainstay for the rest of this season, and come back next season all the better for it and we'll see something closer to his Torquay form.


He's 26 and never done owt in the league, you can see why. His all round game is (still) dreadful.
If you think he'll be the mainstay up front next season then good for you, I beg to differ but that's a long way off yet so we've a long wait :lol:



Matt Rhead was older I think and had never played league football and he didn't do too badly, did he? ;)

Clough sees something, and I trust his judgment and knowledge.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 7107
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:47 pm

Re: This weekends games (Feb 20th/21st)

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:44 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:
Birminghamstag10 wrote:
Nah, there's a League player in there - he'd have not started nearly every game that Clough has been in charge if those who know far more than either of us, didn't agree. His hold up play has improved no end and I wonder if opposition teams are learning that. Every time the ball was played to him on Saturday, Cambridge had 2 or 3 on him immediately and did well to limit his impact - something other managers are noticing about him. Lapslie and Gordon were always nearby previously, and I think Reid has missed their support. I am so glad he is being given his chance and I think he'll be a mainstay for the rest of this season, and come back next season all the better for it and we'll see something closer to his Torquay form.


He's 26 and never done owt in the league, you can see why. His all round game is (still) dreadful.
If you think he'll be the mainstay up front next season then good for you, I beg to differ but that's a long way off yet so we've a long wait :lol:



Matt Rhead was older I think and had never played league football and he didn't do too badly, did he? ;)

Clough sees something, and I trust his judgment and knowledge.


Clough sees a hard worker that fits his style but he's lumbered with him till he can bring in a hard worker with a better all round game.

If you Amber blinkered lot think we'll push next season for promotion with Reid up front then you'll be disappointed. Once again just my opinion

For every Matt Rhead there's ten Asa Charltons ;)
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6969
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: This weekends games (Feb 20th/21st)

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:47 pm

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:
Birminghamstag10 wrote:
Nah, there's a League player in there - he'd have not started nearly every game that Clough has been in charge if those who know far more than either of us, didn't agree. His hold up play has improved no end and I wonder if opposition teams are learning that. Every time the ball was played to him on Saturday, Cambridge had 2 or 3 on him immediately and did well to limit his impact - something other managers are noticing about him. Lapslie and Gordon were always nearby previously, and I think Reid has missed their support. I am so glad he is being given his chance and I think he'll be a mainstay for the rest of this season, and come back next season all the better for it and we'll see something closer to his Torquay form.


He's 26 and never done owt in the league, you can see why. His all round game is (still) dreadful.
If you think he'll be the mainstay up front next season then good for you, I beg to differ but that's a long way off yet so we've a long wait :lol:



Matt Rhead was older I think and had never played league football and he didn't do too badly, did he? ;)

Clough sees something, and I trust his judgment and knowledge.


Clough sees a hard worker that fits his style but he's lumbered with him till he can bring in a hard worker with a better all round game.

If you Amber blinkered lot think we'll push next season for promotion with Reid up front then you'll be disappointed. Once again just my opinion

For every Matt Rhead there's ten Asa Charltons ;)



Not really about being 'Amber blinkered' whatever that means, it's about supporting one of our players and wanting him to improve. Mad that, eh?

Like someone else said, nobody wanted Maynard here because he didn't want to be here. He left, everyone was up in arms but at least we know Reidy wants to be here and actually looks like he's arsed when he plays.

I would imagine Reid won't be our #1 striker next year anyway, not after Cloughs new squad
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 7107
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:47 pm

Re: This weekends games (Feb 20th/21st)

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:01 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:
Birminghamstag10 wrote:
Nah, there's a League player in there - he'd have not started nearly every game that Clough has been in charge if those who know far more than either of us, didn't agree. His hold up play has improved no end and I wonder if opposition teams are learning that. Every time the ball was played to him on Saturday, Cambridge had 2 or 3 on him immediately and did well to limit his impact - something other managers are noticing about him. Lapslie and Gordon were always nearby previously, and I think Reid has missed their support. I am so glad he is being given his chance and I think he'll be a mainstay for the rest of this season, and come back next season all the better for it and we'll see something closer to his Torquay form.


He's 26 and never done owt in the league, you can see why. His all round game is (still) dreadful.
If you think he'll be the mainstay up front next season then good for you, I beg to differ but that's a long way off yet so we've a long wait :lol:



Matt Rhead was older I think and had never played league football and he didn't do too badly, did he? ;)

Clough sees something, and I trust his judgment and knowledge.


Clough sees a hard worker that fits his style but he's lumbered with him till he can bring in a hard worker with a better all round game.

If you Amber blinkered lot think we'll push next season for promotion with Reid up front then you'll be disappointed. Once again just my opinion

For every Matt Rhead there's ten Asa Charltons ;)



Not really about being 'Amber blinkered' whatever that means, it's about supporting one of our players and wanting him to improve. Mad that, eh?

Like someone else said, nobody wanted Maynard here because he didn't want to be here. He left, everyone was up in arms but at least we know Reidy wants to be here and actually looks like he's arsed when he plays.

I would imagine Reid won't be our #1 striker next year anyway, not after Cloughs new squad


So we do agree
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6969
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: This weekends games (Feb 20th/21st)

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:04 pm

On one point. That you think he won't be our main strikers next year. I mean he could be for all we know.


Do I agree that his all round game is dreadful? No, far from it
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 7107
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:47 pm

Re: This weekends games (Feb 20th/21st)

Postby part time pete » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:17 am

I see that Bradford City sold 2,923 iFollow passes for their trip to Cheltenham.

Looks like they don’t sell dodgy tv boxes in Bradford.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager
 
Posts: 6980
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:39 pm

Re: This weekends games (Feb 20th/21st)

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:46 pm

20/02/21: Salford City 1 Carlisle United 1 (HT: 0-1)
Possession: 67:33% xG 0.9 v 0.6

Carlisle scored in the 11th minute when Nick Anderton's cross from the left was headed back to the edge of the area by John Mellish to full back, George Tanner, who slotted the ball past Hladky. Salford then controlled the game without creating many chances with their possession game. Carlisle sat back and banged it forward when possible. There was no commentary on iFollow so you could hear every word Richie Wellens and Chris Beech were shouting. Wellens just told everybody to raspberry off including the ref and Jordan Turnbull when he gave a silly free kick away on the edge of the area. He also screamed at Ibou Touray and Ash Hunter a lot who I thought was had a reasonable game. Ibou Touray did not look happy when he was subbed on 75 minutes for James Wilson. However it was a good substitution as Ian Henderson dropped into the No 10 role played a great ball from the right to Brandon Thomas-Asante to put him clean through on goal. Paul Farman saved Thomas-Asante's shot but the ball bounced out to James Wilson who finished well. Farman played well in goal and had previously stopped a shot from Jason Lowe when he was clean through after another excellent ball by Henderson.

Salford MOM: Ian Henderson and Jason Lowe

Carlisle MOM: Paul Farman and Aaron Hayden


Richie Wellens had a pop at Carlisle's direct style of play after the game and said:

“We made a mistake from a set play [throw in] which we’d worked on because that’s their main threat. They are a team that just lumps it long, looking for second balls and long throws. You’ve then got three of four players who can take a long throw actually fighting over who can take a long throw. Our response was really good. We stuck to what we think we are good at, passed the ball for fun and made chances in the second half. Their keeper pulled off few good saves."


Salford should have a great chance of promotion this season with the depth of their squad.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8459
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm


Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests