{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

weak bench cost us 3 points

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: weak bench cost us 3 points

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:27 am

2nd Jan for about 7 minutes.

My point is, with no central midfielder on the bench and you want to bring a central midfielder off in Quinn then you've got some shuffling to do.

I believe in playing your best available players in their best positions, the following is the relevant players in their best position in my opinion. O'Keeffe is a right back, Sinclair is a right winger, Benning is a left back, McLaughlin is a left winger, Charsley is a central midfielder. Quinn is a central midfielder.

What I'm saying is with no central midfielder on the bench. The best tactic without disrupting the defence is move Charsley central and put Sinclair on the right. I have no doubt that O'Keeffe could "do a job" on the right.

McLaughlin is experienced and more able to be versatile and has played central midfield for forest before. That sub could have happened just move McLaughlin forwards and put Benning at left back. He's jot running round like a headless chicken and actually know what's he's meant to be doing. Benning has covered centre back before adequately just not central midfield.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:18 pm

9 seconds into benning coming on and we concede. Bench too weak
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:18 pm

I concur
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:21 pm

PEAR CIDER wrote:9 seconds into benning coming on and we concede. Bench too weak

How on earth has the substitution got a yo-yo do with that goal?
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:30 pm

Agreed PEAR
Last edited by Random Hero on Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:30 pm

PEAR CIDER wrote:9 seconds into benning coming on and we concede. Bench too weak
The conceding of the goal was nothing to do with the substitution. Poor defending from the centre halves who have been on from the start.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby SankMTFC » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:33 pm

Hi PC I absolutely agree
SankMTFC
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:41 pm

SankMTFC wrote:

Hi PC I absolutely agree

The goal came from raspberry defending between Sweeney and Rawson, the bench has no impact on that at all :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:33 am

Does anyone know if it's possible to sign any of the players from National League N or S ? They will all be furloughed now their season has ended. I know some of the National League clubs are looking to sign some of the better players. Probably different rules for EFL clubs regarding signings. Maybe the player would have to become a free agent. There could be one or two out there that could do a job for us.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:34 am

you can only sign players who were free agents at the end of the transfer window.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby James » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:36 am

gazza1988 wrote:2nd Jan for about 7 minutes.

My point is, with no central midfielder on the bench and you want to bring a central midfielder off in Quinn then you've got some shuffling to do.

I believe in playing your best available players in their best positions, the following is the relevant players in their best position in my opinion. O'Keeffe is a right back, Sinclair is a right winger, Benning is a left back, McLaughlin is a left winger, Charsley is a central midfielder. Quinn is a central midfielder.

What I'm saying is with no central midfielder on the bench. The best tactic without disrupting the defence is move Charsley central and put Sinclair on the right. I have no doubt that O'Keeffe could "do a job" on the right.

McLaughlin is experienced and more able to be versatile and has played central midfield for forest before. That sub could have happened just move McLaughlin forwards and put Benning at left back. He's jot running round like a headless chicken and actually know what's he's meant to be doing. Benning has covered centre back before adequately just not central midfield.

O'Keefe really is a right wing back. Every game he's played for us at right back, he looks bit suspect defensively.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:38 am

Martin Shaw wrote:you can only sign players who were free agents at the end of the transfer window.
Thanks Martin.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:28 am

Amber Andy wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:you can only sign players who were free agents at the end of the transfer window.
Thanks Martin.

Stockport have signed two of the Chorley players who starred in their cup run.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:37 am

Dan wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Thanks Martin.

Dan it will happen with a lot of National League clubs. They will sign the cream from the leagues below, freeing them from furlough. Then the unscrupulous National League clubs will furlough some of their injured or fringe players.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:47 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
SankMTFC wrote:

Hi PC I absolutely agree

The goal came from raspberry defending between Sweeney and Rawson, the bench has no impact on that at all :lol:

The goal had nothing to do with the bench or the substitution made.

It was a simple long ball which 2 of our tallest players on the pitch didn't deal with - they personally did not do a simple job that they alone are there to do. So many errors this season have come from simply not dealing with something. We cut it out in Nigel's early games but it's creeping back in - not just in defence but in midfield too. Clarke and Maris often overplay in the middle of the park to the point the ball is nicked from them and a counter is on for the opposition.

When our fortunes took an upturn the team were clearly 'keeping things simple' - I imagine that will be Nigel's message for training this week and now on.
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:32 pm

Dan wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Thanks Martin.

Conference clubs can sign players outside of the transfer window. Hence why Clough talked about the possibility of O'Driscoll and O'Keeffe joining Conference clubs outside of the window.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:42 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Dan wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Thanks Martin.

Conference clubs can sign players outside of the transfer window. Hence why Clough talked about the possibility of O'Driscoll and O'Keeffe joining Conference clubs outside of the window.

I know mate I was just letting Andy know in case he hadn't seen it.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:17 pm

Dan wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
Dan wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Thanks Martin.

I know mate I was just letting Andy know in case he hadn't seen it.
Cheers guys. I notice that Burton have gone the non league route and signed Mike Fondop. He was previously at Aldershot. I don't know when his contract ended though.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:50 am

Fondop was non league for a reason, Ex sheep too, hardly been stellar anywhere he's been.
Desperate times for Albion, call for desperate measures
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:20 am

Spiritater wrote:Fondop was non league for a reason, Ex sheep too, hardly been stellar anywhere he's been.
Desperate times for Albion, call for desperate measures

Just like Reid
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:24 pm

Hi
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:22 pm

PEAR CIDER wrote:Hi

Your point is entirely valid. The transfer window was a cluster.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:25 pm

:D If NC tightens the nuts on the bench that should have the desired affect :lol:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum